Notices

ot -fat boy

Old 03-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ot -fat boy

since a new boat is out the question for this year, was thinking about picking up a harley. any comments , good or bad, for a fat boy? my riding will be limitted with a 15 mo old and one coming in oct. i really like the no bs look of the fat boy and with the dish rims not a lot time needs to be spent polishing spokes. seems like it might also be worth buying new, with used bikes costing so much. but i am not opposed to used. thanks for input. bill
Old 03-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Fat Boy with all kinds of stuff on it.
It`s black, lowered, big back tire kit, chrome front end with a nacelle kit and polished chrome Fat Boy wheels.
I don`t have a scanner yet or I would post a picture.
I really enjoy it.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Registered

Why don't you rent one and see for yourself? Try WWW.EAGLERIDER.COM. I own a Honda cruiser (1100 shadow) and rented a Fat Boy for a 200 mile trip down the NC coast. The balanced EVO motor is very smooth, and the bike was quite comfortable. I have heard of folks complaining that the dish front wheel is affected by crosswinds, but I did not experience that (it was a windy day). Do some searching on the web, I have also heard of some top end issues with certain years of the motor and a class action suit on that issue.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes go with the Fatboy and the twin cam engine. Very smooth. The newer fuel injected engine is even better. Although I have a 1988 softail custom. and I love it!! less than half the cost of new and turns just as many heads.

If you've riden one you will know if the floor boards will fit you. I am 6'6" and I would have to swap the floorboards for extended forward controls.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Registered

Default fatty

have ridden one before and the floor boards do work. i'm 6'3" with size 13-14 but the heel toe shifter is pretty cool. hey payton, i,m not looking to spend a fortune, so you would recomend a softail custom???? I was beside a spinger softail and a dyna wideglide today and they do look awesome. my use will be primarily around town, i have a15 mo old and one on the way. all inpu is great. thanks ,bill
Old 03-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Registered

Spitfire
I brought a new low rider 2002. Very nice ride. Next best thing to a 30 Superboat.
Jack L
Old 03-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a brand new 2002 fatboy last year. Love the bike. It was my first one. It's almost a cross between a "bar bike" and a touring. You can really do whatever with it. I bought the carb because I heard they're easier to work on if you want to mod them.

I would say buy a new one. You want a year 2000 or newer because they've got the bigger engine. With used prices almost as much as new ones, you may as well buy the new one.

Figure $18,000 for a stock bike. If you add chrome, you're looking at low $20's.

If you really want a bike, look at www.bourgets.com. Thats my next one. Ordering in January.

Good luck.

mike
Old 03-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Registered

All I can say is "Get It"!

I had a 92 and a 98 and both bikes treated me well. The newer twin cam 88 motor is just another + to the bike. I rode the wheels off off the 92 and it never let me down. Just today I had a few friends over and the subject of that bike came up and even though I now don't have a Fatboy it was my favortite bike.
I now have a Ultra Classic and has all the bags and radio and is made for the trips that we take but the fat boy was still my favorite.

Don't buy into the stuff about the solid disc wheels and the wind ect. Never had a problem and I rode in plenty of rain/wind storms. I liked how easy they were to clean. The ring around the rim will dis-color after time especially with salt and the debris from the break pads so keep up on it.

Cordell
Old 03-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered

Default fatty

I'm lookin..........!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Another happy Fat Boy owner checking in! A very versitile bike. I'm using detachable mounts for accessories, so if I want to run around town, I can strip it down for a sporty look. If I want to go somewhere, just pop everything on.

I went with the carb too. I was going back and forth on that. Everyone says the carb's easier to work on/upgrade, and it's classic Harley. But fuel injection is so nice... Carb was a bit cheaper, so in the end that made up my mind for me.

And unlike a boat, they hold their value very well!!! You can't go wrong with the Fat Boy.

Quick Reply: ot -fat boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.