Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Info for those running chips in their trucks. >

Info for those running chips in their trucks.

Notices

Info for those running chips in their trucks.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:58 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do warranty work everyday on heavily modified vehicles. Engine, electrical and suspension. I dont care. Why would I take money out of my own pocket? It really does depend on what idiot you talk to. Some dealer stay away and some welcome it. Voiding your warranty is harder than you think.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:22 AM
Mr. Demeanor

Just posting the link as I thought there was some good info there. It sounds like your better off finding a "chip" friendly dealer than trying to hide the fact that you run one. If you read the thread, I'm sure you saw there is a big diference between what should be and what is. Not suprising.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My 01 Limited PSD X gets 15.8 mpg with a 6" lift & 35's, calculated manually with the speedo corrected.
1998 232 Islander 7.4 (got the 25 OL)
Tow Rig
04 Excursion EB PSD 4x4 6" lift 35's
MY PICS: http://community.webshots.com/user/skygod73
Old 03-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Thumbs up More info

From the Motorworks Performance page:

Will the DiabloChip void my warranty?
The DiabloChip will not void or affect the factory warranty. This is a very misunderstood subject in the aftermarket's customer knowledge. There is a law protecting vehicle owners from just this fraudulent behavior practiced by some automotive dealers. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless that warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids the warranty or that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under "What is not covered." Nonetheless, Dealers receive less compensation for warranty work than regular service rates and some have tried to deny warranty service. Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or proffer a questionable explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202-326-3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law. Many Ford dealers sell these chips, and Ford Motor Company has a program to help us develop them as well. So, don't let an unscrupulous dealer take advantage of you! If you have any problems with an uncooperative dealer promptly notify us at 352-394-0851.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Default More info again

From the Portadiesel.com page:

m a g n u s s o n m o s s w a r r a n t y

Information contained on this page applies to the United States only. The Magnusson Moss provisions are contained in Title 15 US Code Chapter 50 Section 2302 (c):

"(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest."

The above section prohibits a warrantor from requiring use of purchased parts from the same source as the original equipment or some other specified source . It allows use of aftermarket purchased parts from other sources unless the Federal Trade Commission has granted to the warrantor a waiver of this section of the law.

The US Code of Federal Regulations provides additional guidance on warranties:

TITLE 16--COMMERCIAL PRACTICES
CHAPTER I--FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

PART 701--DISCLOSURE OF WRITTEN CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTY TERMS AND CONDITIONS--Table of Contents

Sec. 701.3 Written warranty terms.

(a) Any warrantor warranting to a consumer by means of a written warranty a consumer product actually costing the consumer more than $15.00 shall clearly and conspicuously disclose in a single document in simple and readily understood language, the following items of information:

(1) The identity of the party or parties to whom the written warranty is extended, if the enforceability of the written warranty is limited to the original consumer purchaser or is otherwise limited to persons other than every consumer owner during the term of the warranty;

(2) A clear description and identification of products, or parts, or characteristics, or components or properties covered by and where necessary for clarification, excluded from the warranty;

(3) A statement of what the warrantor will do in the event of a defect, malfunction or failure to conform with the written warranty, including the items or services the warrantor will pay for or provide, and, where necessary for clarification, those which the warrantor will not pay for or provide. (emphasis added)

See especially the last clause of Sec 701.3.3. just above.

There is always the requirement for common sense. If you increase the hp and torque so much that it could cause damage to the vehicle unless you took other action to compensate (larger down pipe, larger exhaust system, etc.) and your vehicle had a major failure, then you could get into a serious argument with the dealer about warranty protection in that circumstance. That is why we try to be totally clear about the need for such steps on the higher hp chips, and to identify those chips where no additional protections are needed.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by WHITE-DIAMONDS
I've got a 2000 Excursion, its got the V-10, yes I know I should have gone with the PSD. Anyway, lately it seems the gas milage has gotten even worse. The computer milage thing says I am getting 9.7 miles a gallon.........it seems even worse than that!!

My question is, what is the best chip to get, where to get it, how much it costs and what kind of improvements as far as gas milage and performance can I expect???

Thanks!
Are you resetting it every time you fill up? If not you are getting bad numbers.

I also have a V-10 X that the wife drives and LOVE it. There is something to be said for the V-10.

Use to think it got 9.9 MPG all the time! WRONG, on a trip I was doing it manaully and found out we were actually getting just over 15 MPG. This was with four people, all our gear, in the mountains of West Virginia going to Ohio running the A/C. If you don't believe me, just ask Vagrant here on the board because he was on the trip.

I found out you have to reset the on board computer for mileage with every fill up for it to be accurate, or it will read the same basic numbers all the time.

It does hurt when you fill up to the pumps now days, $58.00 for 87 in the X, and I have an added 50 gallon fuel cell in the F-350 PSD and the last almost empty fill up was $120.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and try this along with checking it manually. You may be surprised.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default White Diamonds

For the gas engines use a Hypertech Programmer.

They are the best>
Old 03-27-2003, 07:40 AM
Registered

some of you have it right...some don't....can't really say here...i like my job here at ford development...
Old 03-27-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Bone stock I was getting 9-11 mpg towing in the city and 13-15 empty city, about 12-14 highway towing and 15-17 empty. With a bed cover airaid air box and programmer I get 13-15 city towing 17-19 highway towing 16-18 city empty 22-24 highway empty. Under reasonable driving if I run the crap out of it witch I have been known to do they will drop about 2 mpg across the board. as far as trans and exh temps they are still very safe even pulling up a long hill with it floored the exh never gets over 1050. I have 4 Friends that all have the same stuff done to their truck's #'s as me except one guy that has a 96(old body) that is my old truck he is about 3-5 mpg less and exh. temps get higher but it has 315 (35 inch tires) and that truck doesn't have an inter cooler. They all tow heavy and have more miles than me at 36,000 and none of us has had a problem except excessive rear tire ware.

I'am sure there are better chips out there with all of the one's you can download yourself, I use that kind of stuff with the bikes I work on. But all the truck's I have driven and rode in with those in them I think you would need a dyno to tell the difference and with the ease of just plug in and your done. I don't follow the latest stuff out because my truck is done but I heard that some of the chips you install made it so the Ford tester wouldn't get the right reading's, I know the programmer you want to put it back to stock before you test it's just easier and I'am lazy.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Registered

I have enough friends at Ford that I warranty floor mats. So I don't think twice about doing stuff to my truck if it's going to make it better. When I worked at Ford I have seen them brand vin #'s on cars so you can't take them anywhere in the world and get warranty work done, so make sure you have a guy that will hook you up.

Quick Reply: Info for those running chips in their trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.