I need opinions about my windsceens >

I need opinions about my windsceens

Notices

I need opinions about my windsceens

Old 03-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking the same thing. Besides, I get a pair of Gaurd Dogs for Christmas. I think I'm going to have to send these back to Gaffrig.

If someone has a flat deck or fairing, these things are awesome. They just don't work on my boat.

Sydwayz I've thought of the snap on thing too. But, I've never been very happy with a snap on face shield or visor on a motorcycle helmet. I don't think I would trust one in 4-5's at speed on Lake Michigan.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Steve_H

agree with everyone else.
boat to cool for those.

something that follows the same curve as your helm and appears to disapppear when not in use.

wonder if there is a market for custom made windscreens.
i have the software and experience to design them and build them but wonder if it would be a profitable side business?

Old 03-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would you build them out of? I thought these would be fiberglass. When I got them they were very solid Alum, powder coated to one of several colors.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Steve_H

probably plexeglass designed around "off the shelf" hinges made by a company called southco. ive designed eqiupment at work using them. high quality stuff!

if not plexeglass , there are a ton of plastics with a variety of colors that can be fabricated to any shape needed.

just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by lotoparty; 03-29-2003 at 04:00 PM.

Old 03-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Steve_H

the problem with custom design is the expense of small quantity setup time.

hard to keep cost down unless its amoritized over large quantitys.

Old 03-29-2003, 04:03 PM
RM2
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to come up with a design for a wind screen for my boat as well. It will be interesting to see what you finally decide to do, please post a follow.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had some plexi custom bent to a curve, it would work rather nicely. I saw some once where the guy used some v-drive cavitation plate hardware. It was really cool.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

All I can say is keep diggin' until you come up with something.After several attempts I made up a set that slip over the top edge of the windshield on my Fountain and they work phenomonally well, Im really impressed. You can have a normal conversation at 45 - 50 mph......keep diggin'
Old 03-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

Dont worry if they follow the curve of the boat and arn't perfectly square to the front. The beak windshield tapers back from the centre, they are not square to the front and they work great. The key is width, if they are not square to the front they need to be wider to make a wide enough "calm spot" in the air for you to sit, and also you are not always heading directly into the wind, it comes at you from all directions, again width. Nothing worse than one half of your face calm and the other half getting blasted, luckily I can slide mine back and forth across the top of the windshield. Mine are made of plexiglassand are about 16 to 18 inches wide and about 6 inches high.........Is there any way you could use the Gaffrig mounting system, cut off the deflector to about an inch high and install your own plexigass deflector and mount it angled with the curve of the boat?. that way you could play with deflector widths until you get it right....... doug
Old 03-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Registered

Flip down is nice that way you wont have to modify your boat cover.

Quick Reply: I need opinions about my windsceens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.