Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Image Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/46764-image-boats.html)

Rapid22 04-02-2003 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the information on Image. Sounds like they were a pretty good boat.

fobes, I mailed you my fax number. Thanks.

T2x 04-02-2003 03:30 PM

Originally posted by superfast
Chris cat didn't "splash" the Shadow, Linder actually made revisions to the design for them.
Actually, the Chris Cat was, indeed, a splash. The "plug" was an altered Shadow Cat ( alterations overseen by George Linder). The lawsuit that Image Boat Co. ( The company that built Shadows) won was not about the "splash"....... That was legal...... The suit was waged because Chris Craft ill-advisedly used a photo of a Shadow Cat in it's first literature before the Chris Cat plug and molds were finished.

The suit occurred after George and I left Image ( I was founding partner and Managing General Partner.......) In a partnership dispute........ That , too, resulted in a lawsuit .....which I won. I got cash and as part of the settlement gave the name "Team Shadow" back to Image. ( I also came up with the Shadow name). My leaving Image freed George to go to Chris Craft since his contract was with me...and not Image. George had my blessings as well.

Later the other partner attempted to continue the company, but with ever diminishing success...and the company...........never created another winner. There were various "partners, managers, leasors.....etc. None of them had a clue. The boats, previously bullet proof became fragile as each customer was allowed to add his own ideas to construction, weight , hardware etc. The molds warped and the pieces taken from them were basically worthless after a while.

One interesting point......While I was running Image we never missed a delivery deadline............ After I left....... the company never met a delivery deadline again........

Final part of the story...repeated too many times......

There was, in fact, a 36 foot Shadow Cat plug which was finished just as the "partnership" dissolved. At the time I was young, angry, and VERRRY impulsive. ....... So............. I had it burned, which I had every legal right to do.

If I had it to do over....... I would have shipped it to a storage location........ Ahh! the things we did in our youth.

Finally, adding to the confusion.....The names Image, Shadow, and Conquest (My later company) continue to surface at other boat companies on totally unrelated models.

Them's the facts......from the horse's mouth.

T2x

Jolley 04-02-2003 06:39 PM

Thank You Rich, Invaluable info. as usual, You and your team surely were ahead of your time............ I can appreciate that greatly. :) I 'm hoping you will reconsider consulting again in the near future, bringing together ' High Tech / Smart Tech' and creating something truely special ( if nothing more than bringing talent together !)........ Thanks for all your input/advice..:D :fish: :fish:

Rapid22 04-02-2003 08:37 PM

So a 1988 Image (shadow cat) may not be the best quality or construction? How did these boats run with triple outboards on them? Were they all 3 seaters or did some have a back seat?

Treadwellmotorsports 04-02-2003 09:38 PM

thanks for the history t2x. i knew i was close.

rapid 22, if memory srves the 1988 is a good hull. t2x can tell you for sure. but it does run well with triples.

Treadwell

T2x 04-03-2003 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Rapid22
So a 1988 Image (shadow cat) may not be the best quality or construction? How did these boats run with triple outboards on them? Were they all 3 seaters or did some have a back seat?
Shadow Hulls built after 1984 or so (when Larry Wirtzberger left) are highly suspect....... The mold had warped by then and the construction techniques and layup schedules were all over the map...... I cannot recommend them to anyone interested.

The Shadow "pleasure" versions had back seats........ A "three seater" would be a custom interior as the stock race boats had two bolsters and a removable fibreglass cockpit cover.

The Chris Cats, I believe, came in a three seat race configuration.

T2x