Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New 36' Spectre cat w Arneson ASD 6 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/47326-new-36-spectre-cat-w-arneson-asd-6-a.html)

Byron 04-08-2003 07:44 PM

New 36' Spectre cat w Arneson ASD 6

Only a month or two until my new 36' Spectre is done! She will have quarter canopies, a pair of 572's 750 hp and Arneson asd #6 drives. I hope this should be a very reliable package. See ya at the Poker Runs.

SLINGSHOT 04-08-2003 08:22 PM

is that the bravo conversion, and why not go with the asd 8's

puder 04-08-2003 08:39 PM

an ASD6 should handle that power no prob and cost like half as much as an ASD8

puder 04-08-2003 08:39 PM

oh yeah sounds like a trick setup

rbtnt 04-08-2003 08:52 PM

I would do the ASD6s if I were rigging my Daytona again. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

36spectre 04-08-2003 09:07 PM

Byron, you have a great toy comming. Best of luck. Jay is a great guy to deal with and he will make sure that you get the exact boat that you want. I have found him to be honest and really bend over backwards to be sure that I'm happy. He has also given my each of the new options that He has added to his 36 since mine was built 2 years ago at no charge(new carpet with logo and air scoops for the canopies as well as larger scoops for my new blower motors). He may not be fast and you may wait a little long for your boat but it's worth both the time and the money. Otto

Donzi Corleone 04-08-2003 10:33 PM

DITTO Jay is a straight shooter. In my year and half of getting to know him the man knows his work. If he weren`t a stand up guy he wouldn`t be building my boat. Satisfaction Guranteed!!

Byron 04-09-2003 02:30 PM

Yes, it is called the bravo conversion. Drive problems have always been haunting me in the back of my mind, I think this will solve the problem.

SLINGSHOT 04-09-2003 04:16 PM

why not go with the real deal asd 8's?

CESSNA 04-09-2003 04:48 PM

Yes sir I would have not cut corners here !!I would have used the
ASD_8 thats the real deal !! wait until you can afford it and get the real deal !! well thats right your only going with 750 hp it may hold up ,my buddy's didn't

Byron 04-09-2003 05:17 PM

What are you running? Maybe I should just order the #12's Would that be the real deal?

Byron 04-09-2003 05:20 PM

Cessna, Did your buddies break? What where they on and what kind of power was behind them? Also where they new or used?

shawn 04-09-2003 05:27 PM

Otto, I just got a canopied 36 and am wondering about the air scoops you mentioned. How do they work and how are they installed?

thanks
Shawn

36spectre 04-09-2003 05:55 PM

Shawn, same scoop used in NASCAR. They mount just in front of the canopies on the side of the boat. Work real good on those hot summer days . Come on up for Skaterfest and see them. Otto

bobby daniels 04-09-2003 06:52 PM

Yes Byron how fast will you be (guess) ?

Byron 04-09-2003 07:44 PM

I'm pretty confident it will run 128-132 mph. The motors actually dyno @ 765 hp at 6400 rpm and and 640 TQ . The asd #6 also use less hp than a Bravo setup. Do you guys agree with these numbers?

SLINGSHOT 04-09-2003 08:45 PM

my point is if you are going to put arnesons why not put the standard of the industry and bullet proof for go fast boats which is the asd 8 not something that was meant as a band aid for bravos, and in my opinion the hp your pushin is going to test the asd 6 pretty good, just my .02

Byron 04-09-2003 08:51 PM

Have you spoke to Arneson? Rik Wemp from arneson- industries proposed this drive. There is not much diffrerence in price. I am well under there specs with this drive plus I would like to know if anyone has blown one of these. I think all the other sterndrives are band-aides but not this package.

Byron 04-09-2003 09:03 PM

Hey I think the Arneson website states 650 ft pounds of torque not hp also with the upgraded gears they warranty 750 ft # torque.

bobby daniels 04-09-2003 09:07 PM

Byron isn't that right on the ragged edge ??:confused:

Byron 04-09-2003 09:10 PM

No not at all , I think I was on the edge before running the same power on XR drives!!

SLINGSHOT 04-09-2003 09:12 PM

Originally posted by rbtnt
Byron,

I just looked at the specs on the Arneson and the max hp for the asd 6 is 650 hp and the torque is less depending on gear ratio. If there isn't much price difference I would go with the asd 8.

thank you exactly what i mean....and yes i do know rik, and he rebuilt my arnesons, the 8 is the way to go for sure, just to be safe, i hate to see you spend all that dough and be fixing it:mad:

bobby daniels 04-09-2003 09:16 PM

yep that was a load on the X.R.

shawn 04-09-2003 09:32 PM

Otto, thanks for the info. I missed you at Skaterfest last year I wanted to see the set up on your 36, will try to get there again this year.

Shawn

mmwalters 04-09-2003 09:51 PM

Hey Shawn I did here you were looking for a 36. What boat did you buy? The nacca scoops that mount on the inside are butler built, check for their web site. There is a thread on this board about nacca scoops, pantera boats makes some in fiberglass that can be installed with 5200 thats what I am going to use. For pictures check the technical board for thread.
Michael

wwwTOPDJcom 04-09-2003 11:10 PM

I wonder what a ASD 6 drop box would cost for a 25'

I plan on staying under 500 hp fpr the life of the drive

I know what the 8's cost , are 6's really a better price

shawn 04-10-2003 08:29 AM

Michael, thanks for the info.

I got a 36 that Randy Sweers had in Florida. Its on his site FASTBOATS.COM, its a 1999 with HP500 carbs. I finally got the XR drives I wanted.
Jim and Jean went with me to sea trial it and we had a blast. I drove it to Miami for lunch with Randy on the sticks, it shows when you have a guy with his experience and seat time running the boat.
Looking forward to the summer with the additional size and canopies.
How is your boat? Do you need to do anything before the season?
We gave up on the idea of racing in NJ this year, just going to run on the Bay.
See you soon.

Shawn

SLINGSHOT 04-10-2003 08:56 AM

Originally posted by shawn
Michael, thanks for the info.

I got a 36 that Randy Sweers had in Florida. Its on his site FASTBOATS.COM, its a 1999 with HP500 carbs. I finally got the XR drives I wanted.
Jim and Jean went with me to sea trial it and we had a blast. I drove it to Miami for lunch with Randy on the sticks, it shows when you have a guy with his experience and seat time running the boat.
Looking forward to the summer with the additional size and canopies.
How is your boat? Do you need to do anything before the season?
We gave up on the idea of racing in NJ this year, just going to run on the Bay.
See you soon.

Shawn

congrats shawn, randy is an excellent guy plus a real good friend of mine, glad you got a good deal he is one of the few guys that gives an honest deal in florida. maybe we will catch up to you in the bay

mmwalters 04-10-2003 11:21 AM

Shawn Sounds great that boat should run as fast as your30. I can't wait to see it. My boat is pretty much ready to go just waiting for weather. Good luck with your toy, hope to see you soon.
Michael:frog:

CESSNA 04-10-2003 02:03 PM

ASD_6

Originally posted by Byron
What are you running? Maybe I should just order the #12's Would that be the real deal?
SORRYfor the late reply but I have people in from out of town so its hard to get to the board .
Byron I have as my profile said a cat ,with out arnsons I like the #6's as they will turn sharper and dock easier for and old man like me !!
I like slingshot think the asd-6 are really a patch for bravo's and with your power its going to be on the limit as far as the spec sheet says, Ijust wanted you not to make a mistake and buy the asd6 with your weight and power ,,,,I don't know the price difference but I would really go with the 8's or switch to number 6's unless the money is to great and I don't know that .
I think you'll love your boat !!!

PS,, yes the 12's would be the real deal with more power !!

SLINGSHOT 04-10-2003 02:10 PM

ADS 8'S ARE CHEAPER THEN 6'S WHEN TALKING NEW

CESSNA 04-10-2003 03:17 PM

I DID NOT KNOW THAT !
I "M SURE THE ASD8 IS FASTER THAN A #6 MERC ??

GOTTA GO BACK LATER ,THANKS

Boatlesss 04-10-2003 06:44 PM

Hell, I think the guy should just stick with the Bravo's, blow them up and keep replacing them so that the resident experts on this bord can sleep at night.

SLINGSHOT 04-10-2003 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Boatlesss
Hell, I think the guy should just stick with the Bravo's, blow them up and keep replacing them so that the resident experts on this bord can sleep at night.
?

bobby daniels 04-10-2003 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Boatlesss

I see why Boatless is ,,boatless wtf

Byron 04-10-2003 09:17 PM

Has anyone ever blown the asd # 6 ? The guys at Arneson do not seem like they would steer me wrong. If they would have told me to go bigger I would have.

Byron 04-10-2003 09:21 PM

Plus you know what guys; I'm building my boat how I see fit!! HAA!

Boatlesss 04-10-2003 11:29 PM

All the experts here have been giving this guy hell over the Arneson's. Too small? Some suggested that they would fail but didn't back it up with facts.

My friend has one of these on his 24’ Eliminator with a 900 hp blower motor. Never broke it yet, broke many Bravo's prior though. His only regret is that he built his boat prior to this Bravo conversion.

If he (this guy) had laid out his intentions with a Bravo everyone would have supported his decisions. But if you don’t think the Arneson will survive, how do you think the Bravo will?

Besides the fact that I don’t anyone here has any experience with the package he has chosen.

Good advise or bad, what does anyone know about the ASD6 or the ASD8?

shawn 04-11-2003 07:21 AM

congrats shawn, randy is an excellent guy plus a real good friend of mine, glad you got a good deal he is one of the few guys that gives an honest deal in florida. maybe we will catch up to you in the bay

Slingshot, I agree with you.
Randy and I struck what I think was a fair deal for both of us. We were realistic as to the value of both boats and the deal went off without a hitch. For this I credit Randy, he made the whole process enjoyable. He took my boat in trade based on pictures and descriptions of the condition and also I told him everything that was wrong with the boat. Neither one of us
B.S.ed the other. He will sell my old boat for the amount he and I discussed or he may even get a few thousand more. I am happy with my end of the deal too.

Michael, this 36 runs the exact same speed as the 30 did with identical power. Lookiong forward to a good summer and glad you are ready to go too.
Take care and see you on the BAY

SLINGSHOT 04-11-2003 08:57 AM

hey boatless wonder, a guy posts that he is building a 36 with arneson's, people offer their opinions and if he doesnt like it well maybe he shouldnt post, I guess, like myself who has experience with bravo's, arneson's and # 6's I was trying to save the guy some AG by putting less of a drive then I THINK he should but thats just my opinion. GET OVER IT