Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SS United States to ride again - Woo-Hoo!! >

SS United States to ride again - Woo-Hoo!!

Notices

SS United States to ride again - Woo-Hoo!!

Old 04-15-2003, 01:06 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Ron P
Hey Too Old, are they hiring you for the restoration job?
Ron - It may be a while. Fred's got Saddam's ex-yacht to fix up first, remember?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drove by the ship 10 mins ago seen a news crew out there I wish I had my OSO shirt I would have did a walk by the camera

I wonder how many years it will take to refit the ship I Mean this ship is a pile of junk I'm shocked someone bought it.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

CAP071, the exterior is in worse shape than anything else.
Check out the site I posted above. It shows the interior as being stripped out but ready for restoration. The boilers and turbines appear to be in serviceable condition. Fortunately the ship was mothballed like the military ships, A/C'd and dehumidified, while she sat. A crew even fires up some of the electrical systems to power deck winches when repositioning dock lines.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Iggy great site I'm just suprised someone would spend that kind of money. I seen that ship inside a few years back and it was bad REAL BAD inside. I would like to know total cost vs. a new ship built to look like that a new one would be lighter for sure less steel plating for torpedo's and the new ships don't require tugs as much do to the stabilizer systems Just a thoght!

I still say we should book an OSO cruise on it when it's done if we are still all around!
Old 04-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I sailed from Le Havre, France to New York on it in september 1958. We punched through a hurricane by the name of Helen, in the north atlantic on the third day of the crossing. This thing was pitching and rolling big time! This was before the stabilizers all the big ships have now. Glad to hear she will sail again.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:08 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

CAP071, We live 25 miles outside of the city in Malvern, near King of Prussia. We used to come out of Morrows and go to Hooters and then over to Delilahs for a few..............beers!! We boat in the Chesapeake mostly, we keep the boat in a Hi&Dri in Port Deposit , Md. on the Susquehanna River. We go up the C&D and into the Delaware but mostly we go south. You have to check out the Bay, Red Eyes, Annapolis, Baltimore etc....etc....We go to Chesapeake Inn alot also. Get in touch with us this summer!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will do R Addiction!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard the Ship had a lot of Aluminum used in its construction this was a while back and the story went on to say at that time; with the amount used (most likely in the superstructure) it was the largest aluminum structure in the world.

again this was a story I read a long time ago and never heard it again to this day.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

According to the data I ran across there's 2000 tons of aluminum that was used in her construction. If you go to the site I posted you'll see in the pics all the bulkheads are covered with zinc chromate primer. Obviously they're aluminum.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck......what is going on with this ship? Is it still in the same spot?

Quick Reply: SS United States to ride again - Woo-Hoo!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.