Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Let me Introduce myself... >

Let me Introduce myself...

Notices

Let me Introduce myself...

Old 04-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Amphicar

Talking Let me Introduce myself...

My name is John and I live in Northern Colorado. My boat is not of the usual fare. You see my boat has 2 distinct personalities. It is at home on land as it is in the water and I have no need for a trailer.

It's one of about 200+ sea worthy or so left since it was produced in the 60's. She is now completely restored by my own hands (except the paint work) and driven regularly to the lake where she swims (yes, swims!) most every weekend. As you may have guessed by my log in name, it's an Amphicar (1964).

The Amphi is still the only mass produced amphibious vehicle ever produced for civilians. I have posted some pictures in the photo section of her. I will post some movies later.

This is the most fun I have had in some time! She received an ovation last Saturday at a local lake when people realized that what they were seeing was indeed a car swimming across the lake. When I came up the ramp I was surrounded (as usual) and asked the many questions I often get. I have some really great Amphicar stories.

The best part is when I open the door and say "Get in!" I have given 100's of rides in her from 6 week olds to 80 year olds. She isn't fast, could only drown a water skier, kinda odd looking, but smiles abound whenever I have her out.

If you want to race me, the rules are simple. We start in the parking lot, go around the bay and back to the parking lot. Only you and me, no helpers and you can't leave the trailer on the ramp (I didn't so you can't either!)

Cap'n John

Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome, John!
Sounds really neat. I've probably seen your amphicar(or similar) on the discovery channel. It looks familiar from the pics you posted. It's a neat concept.

So, any performance mods to speak of?
Have fun.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 04-15-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Amphicar

>>Sounds really neat. I've probably seen your amphicar(or similar) on the discovery channel. It looks familiar from the pics you posted. Have fun.

You've probably seen friend's cars on TLC or Discovery channel. Mine has only been in the wayter since last July. Our club has a big meet (64 Amphicars last year in the water) in Celina, Ohio. Two of my frinds will be on "Junkyard wars" on April 23rd.

We will be featured in several shows sometime this year. (My Classic Car and others) Keep an eye out!

>>>So, any performance mods to speak of?

I am adding twin SU carbs, but not much else so she will get up the hills easier. The 43 HP is too scary as it is! I may replace the 1147cc Triumph Herald engine with a 1300cc later.

Cap'n John & The Amphicar Extraordinaire
www(dot)amphicar(dot)com
www(dot)amphicar(dot)net/minnow (sadly outdated for a little while yet)

Old 04-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride, Welcome aboard
Old 04-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Registered

cool, I once rode in one of the military vw water cars, Welcome aboard.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

Oh whatever come back when it's got wings.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's resale value of one?

Are you running a 4 blade or 3 blade?

Old 04-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Welcome.

Do you think I could slap a trailer hitch on one of them Amphis, and drive straight down the ramp forward, float the boat off the trailer; whip a u-turn with the car, and go park?

(Yes I could do this folks, as my #$%$ &*%@# *&%$# aluminum trailer floats. I might not be able to get the boat off.)

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-15-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

welcome aboard john . . . .i am in the auto restoration buisness and every year we do a concourse at Bay Harbour/Charlivoix Mi. and there is always a few Amphicars there giving rides. always neat to watch them drive down the ramp and off into the harbor.

hmmm . . wonder if a 1500 Sterling and a #6 dry sump would fit in one. . . . . .

enjoy the board John. . . again. . .welcome on
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a Amphicar that frequents Havasu lately.

Quick Reply: Let me Introduce myself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.