Notices

Problems with Imco

Old 04-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JASSMAN is the failure of your drive mainly the upper gears wearing. Or from a failure of a shaft breaking like the yoke mentioned by someone else. I have mainly read or heard of gear wear problems. Sorry for your trouble.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Imco, whom I thought was a better drive than the XR and I spent more money for them, I was reassured that the parts and durability of the drives would not be a problem.
My 42 Sonic with 500 efi's and bravo's have 186 hours to date on them, not 1 problem, and yes they are maintained, drive oil as well as engine oil changed every 10 hours, call me anal but thats how come my stuff lasts, This Imco B.S. has got me pissed, I got them to say that there was excessive wear on the drive thats ready to go and could go any minute, and the other drive gears are munched, it is very rare to have both faulty, unless the internal parts mentioned were not made to stds, Im not done with them.

Last edited by JASSMAN; 04-17-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't more people use the Bmax?
Old 04-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
Why don't more people use the Bmax?
I wonder how many are just turned off from the looks of them?
Old 04-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

It don't look any worse than a Imco in a 1000 peices on the work bench.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ain't that the truth!
Old 04-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm with back4more on the bad XR pinion gears. I had bad ones in my XRs. I also heard IMCO had some of Merc's bad pinions gears.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I could be wrong but on the BMAX they use the same gears Imco uses who get them from Merc., and Teague buys his lower from Imco. It's a damn monopoly. I say go #6's or even better ARNESON.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Scorer83

OK, Devils advocate, maybe this boat has had the living **** run out of it and with over-revving and stuff, they popped. I have seen the pictures on the AT web site and it looks like the boat is not being babied! IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Old 04-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 32' A/T (no step) and it weighs about 8000lbs and I have Bravo One XR drives hanging off of Stellings extension boxes with about 680hp going through each drive. With only 50 hours on the drives since new, Mr. Gadgets and I removed the drives last weekend and we opened them up for inspection. We found that the pinion gears have excessive wear---they are the infamous "soft batch" run of gears by Merc. It was obviously a bad run of pinion gears and Merc still installed them in their drives---you'd think with all the money they make they would have a recall on the drives with the bad gears----but NO Merc can't do that----and how 'bout the spanner nut seal? Those went bad too---how about standing behind that too MERC? Anyway, I have to reach into my pocket and pay for MERC's mistakes and buy new pinion gears and HOPE they are heat treated correctly. I know that the HP I am running is over the limit recommended by Merc, but if the pinion gears are wearing and the spanner nut seals are leaking even with STOCK Merc engines then ALL drives should be RECALLED and the parts should be replaced no matter what kind of power! If the parts are defective then they are DEFECTIVE PERIOD! What a JOKE!

Quick Reply: Problems with Imco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.