Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jass,
What series # are your drives?
Old 04-19-2003, 01:52 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Nefarious Who are ? Why speak like that to JASSMAN. If Imco has a problem they need to step up to plate and take care of there customers! They are the ones pushing a product that says there dirve can handle the power!

David Ledford

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 04-19-2003, 01:54 AM
Registered

Drives or drivers
Who knows why the things go out? I have a cat with blower motors and had 115 hours on a pair of Imcos,broke one of them twice in a couple of years of running.(upper cages) I always watched how I rolled it over and also shutdowns, used redline,changed every 10 to 12 hrs.Seemed to work but I was always afraid. Bob Teague once told me that you will break them its just who knows when..Very true!!
I now have a set of B-maxs, Have not splashed them as of yet, but was told by the builder "Drag race. go over a hundred or what ever, you break them and we will fix or replace them" who in the hell can ask for more?Sure, they cost a little more than the Imcos but then everything on the boat cost more than the stock verison. If I cant stand the cost I maybe shouldnt have the big motors!! Then why do I have a triple axle trailer when a single axle would get me to the water? I like to boat as much as I can, not repairing it!!
Just my .02 worth..

eliminator219
Old 04-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Back 4 More, presently my drives are at Imco, the boat is with Pat at Active Thunder. So I can't really tell ya, I'm just trying to get ready for the Big Poker Run here in Louisianna, the Ticfaw 200, its a 200 mile poker run on May 3, when I find out I will let you know, thanks Jeff Jassby
Old 04-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Registered

Going back a few posts....
Lets make sure we are on the same page.
When the term "IMCO drive" is used, lets make sure we know of which one it is.
Theres the welded gear and reshafted Bravo with the 4 bolt cap...hense the the Xtreme Advantage. 1st version (2000-01)
Then theres the SC with the XR gears sets, a new upper case with built in shower and 8 bolt top cap. 2nd version (2002)
Now there is the new 4X4 setup with an idler pinion to take up the duty of gear contact, which needs a trans. 3rd version (2003).
1st version...most likely no better than the new HP Bravo.
2nd version...a fraction better than an XR with a ridgid upper housing.
3rd version...lets see who gets f*cked on this $22k drive.

Jass, if IMCO says they will cover it...its going to take a while, mine did. (4 weeks)
If not, get them anywhere for some new gear sets...you'll make that May 3rd deal.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I could be wrong, but it sounds like an early batch/run of pinion gears from Merc's supplier were not heat treated correctly, but the XR gear case casting from Merc seems to be okay. IMCO makes there own gear case casting for the Extreme Advantage SC---right?

As I have stated in an earlier post, Mr. Gadgets and I have just recently disassembled my XR drives (1.5 gears) and found that I have some soft pinion gears within them with only 50 hours. I bought the drives new in the fall of 2000. Serial numbers are as follows: 0M112861 and 0M112862.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

The drives are Imco Extreme SC's , thanks Jeff
Old 04-19-2003, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I think the drives are bull****. I have 42 tiger stepped hull, 750 hp Zul motors and easily get 125 hrs out of stock XR's. It has alot to do with the driver and how abusive he is.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Registered

Kaama,
Thanks for the drive #'s I will mention this to a friend that bought some XR's end of 01.
So the IMCO thing comes down to a batch of soft pinions by Mercury.
Im going to have them looked at one more time...and again, I plan on running it hard this season.
Jass,
Good luck with Fred and IMCO covering "their" product...keep us updated.
Mark

Last edited by Back4More; 04-19-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Back4More
Kaama,
Thanks for the drive #'s I will mention this to a friend that bought some XR's end of 01.
Mark
Bac4More, BTW, I bought my drives from the same people who built your engines---"Jason" in N.Y.

Quick Reply: Problems with Imco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.