Notices

Problems with Imco

Old 04-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometime next week, Dan, who has the same boat, same motors with xr's are being inspected just for the hell of it, he has been on just about every run I have been on, and has 56 hours on his boat, we will post the results on that as well.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason's a good dude...I shot you a PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:04 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

KAAMA/ I need to call "Jason" as I am looking for a SSM prop and he supposedly has a few laying around. Could you by chance email me his number? [email protected].

On the gear situation. If a motor builder started having motors prematurely grenade due to a faulty piece supplied by component supplier could he turn his back on his customers and still maintain a reputable business? I would say no, he would take care of his customers and sit down with the supplier. Heck, I know of one builder who actually stood by his warranty even after a trans failed (which he didn't supply) and the rpm went to the moon! I think Imco should support their customers and sit down with Merc. There are certainly other gear suppliers in the market.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:10 PM
Registered

518 644 3080...shop number
Old 04-19-2003, 10:28 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Back4More...thanks!
Old 04-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I thought I would throw in my .02 on the subject. In 99 I was putting together a new boat and was all excited about the project. I ordered the "at that time" best gears from Imco. They were the Merc gears, rewelded and bead blasted or what ever. I think they lasted about 17hrs and on a cruise the forward gear gave up three teeth. I was still tunning the EFI and increasing throttle in 200 rpm steps.. I just never really put any power to the drive.
Well I called Imco the drive gods there told me I was making way too much power and thats why the gear failed. I told them I never put any power to it.. they said NO WARRANTY!! I asked for a solution.. well just send us more money and we will send you three more gears ... I learned my lesson early and cheaper than some. I know Imco is lousy at standing behind their product. They do have some pieces that with excellent ideas and I do still buy some pieces from them, but I dont buy packages from them!! I dont care to have them in control of my wallet..

The soft gears from Merc.. well one post said well... the heat treat guy had a hang over and the quality inspector was online instead of checking parts.. Just the way America is heading with work ethic.. I was stung with a soft pinion and hopefully the next one will not be the same, but I dont have access to a Rockwell machine to make sure. I am trusting in Merc to have told their supplier to take the computer away from that QC inspector..

Good luck on your endevor with Imco.. I hope they step up to the plate, but dont hold your breath.. like they say. Word of mouth advertising can go both ways.. Go for it!!

Dick
Old 04-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Registered

I am real curious how Dan's "inspection" turns out as I have XR's that were built at about the same time
Old 04-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Still no response, I will call again tomorrow. Pat never got a responce as well, poor business response
Old 04-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Registered

I have a new set of ASD 10's if anyone is interested
Old 04-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they still make the III's, and V's, with the horsepwer being so easy to get these days i surprised more manufactures aren't pushing the III'S and V's if there still available. anyone know why not
later

Quick Reply: Problems with Imco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.