APBA Offshore Chairman's Response to APBA "Report" >

APBA Offshore Chairman's Response to APBA "Report"

Notices

APBA Offshore Chairman's Response to APBA "Report"

Old 04-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all know each other is the real reason. For all of the newcomers, simply introduce yourselves. Matthew, you are certainly not in this category. If you have strong feelings, certainly we would think you would be willing to stand behind them as he has. So simply to the others - who are you?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Grin&Barrett
Baja,

Please don't assume that every one who's a newbie is lumped in one category. I for one am trying, by asking questions that consern me to find out as much info as possible so I can make an informed opinion on what is happening in an orginization that I have a personal stake in. I don't claim to know everyone involved or how others will react to someone's name being mentioned in discussions, if you have a problem with me please address them directly to me. If you have answers to my questions I welcome them.

Thanks
Matthew Barrett
Mathew Barrett,
Actually, you are far from being lumped in that category. I've seen your posts elsewhere and you don't have anything in common with what I was complaining about. Check your PM...

Last edited by Baja Daze; 04-22-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:36 AM
speedchic

Smile grammar

Good Points!! But I'm just saying it is possible that someone might know information (facts) without having the best grammar/spelling etc..

Old 04-22-2003, 11:17 AM
searace

I just got off the phone with Gloria at APBA. Those of us who are racing in the APBA offshore circuit have a great problem. I am told that the APBA/ LLC split, is in fact, valid and that if all parties involved continue on their present course this situation is going to escalate to a potentially botched season, or at the very least, a very confusing one. The implications of what is happening are far reaching and reflect on the industry as a whole. Those of us who are participants need to urge the powers that be to try to work this out… or, at the very least, postpone such action until the circuit has ended.

While Mike Allweiss can be arrogant, abrasive and a downright ass at times, he’s still the best thing that’s happened to APBA offshore racing in the last two decades. I’ve participated in this sport for 24 years and have seen this dog chase its tail for most of that time. While we despise a monarchy, one has to admit that the results speak for themselves. Privatizing is a progressive trend which has affected municipal, state and federal governments, with numerous public tasks being turned over to corporations who operate on a “for profit” bases. In certain areas, prisons, police/fire/ems departments, and revenue agencies are starting to turn private. The result is a better product for the end user at a better price.

The LLC team has taken many hits; some deserved and some not. All of which though are absorbed, in one way or another, by us all. To imply that the recent death of a racer was the fault of the LLC for not allowing canopies in a certain class is preposterous and such talk is irresponsible and tears at the fabric which binds our racing community together.

I have been at the center of offshore’s conflict in the past. It was said that I was the “John McEnroe” of offshore racing(and that had nothing to do with racing ability). I have seen the same issues resurface with different players, at different venues. For those of you who remember, one of my main targets was John Kenyon. Where has it gotten me, or John, or offshore racing?…. No where. True successful corporations don’t operate this way… or if they do, they operate at a distinct disadvantage. Should we have the right to disagree…sure we should.. but there should be a method to our input and a quality assurance program(possibly the responsibility of the LLC) to insure that the end user, the racer, gets a fair and decent product for his money.

As offshore racers, we are a different breed. We are pragmatic, self assured, and most of all… aggressive. These attributes make us what we are, and lend to our successes on the race course. Because Mike is one of us, he shares the same attributes, which cause conflict with a lot of the same type of people. Lets be adults, realize this and let Mike and his team do what they do best…..organize and manage. It’s a hard task and requires a lot of pride swallowing and tongue biting. The result is though that we give a very capable person and his team the tools of support and loyalty to do great things for us and we put a stop to the same old dog chasing its tail act we’ve seen for so many decades prior.

For those of you who have called me regarding the validity of our Offshore Kilo runs in June, an event which was to be sanctioned by the LLC, the event is still planned to take place. Most of the officials are APBA regular's, and the sanction will come from APBA detroit at this time to insure UIM inclusion/standings. Lets try to make this a great event as our hopes are a National race there next year.

Old 04-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is steering this ship? Who is responsible for the mess?

I think that there is no doubt that the rules that have been implimented under Mike A have had a great impact possitivly for the racers. The bigest problem I see is promisses of races that just never seem to happen. For example last year at Cape Cod they said that they signed another 2 years there. Well I guess that was not true as it is no longer on the scedual. It is stuff like that that I see as upsetting the racers and race fans more then anything. However all I keep seeing with APBA is a lot of fingure pointing. That turns me off even more.

Jon
Old 04-22-2003, 12:29 PM
searace

Jon,

Its very hard to base promises on promises...and thats what the organization has to do, and base it all on a sponsors word or maybe, if we are lucky, a deposite, which most could sacrifice to avoid a potentially adverse fulfilment. If anyone thinks landing a sponsor for an offshore boat is easy think again...now multiply that times ten and you have an event sponsor.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by chaser
...... he is a lawyer you know and they do slant the truth to their benefit . He does have alot of baggage following him ..... sarasota,ft. myers,cape cod,cleveland, and now maybe daytona.......
Chaser,
There are a handful of folks that still think venues like Sarasota and Ft. Meyers did not want APBA Offshore-LLC racing, when in fact, it was the decision of the Offshore-LLC that dropped those race sites in order to go race in other cities that WANT Offshore racing, and are willing to work for it.

QST4it,
Actually, these issues have been on the discussion table for a while now, but those involved were trying to handle it like professionals, away from the public eye.
While I agree that it's nice to know what's going on behind closed doors, I really don't see the need for the public to know every little detail that comes up on a daily basis.
Unfortunately for the APBA, they tried to bluff, then they tried to take back their cash cow, and when all else failed, they simply announced to the world that they didn't care what legal binding contracts are in place, they want it all back.
What's really sad is, the actions we are now seeing from this handful of APBA members is not new. Indeed, these very people who have basically declared mutiny on APBA and APBAOffshore-LLC are possibly the biggest reason why boatracing in general has been held back to mere "hobby racing" for so many years.
Concerning race sites, As a previous race site producer myself, SEARACE made some good points in that there are many factors involved in producing a race other than APBA offshore that may be beyond APBA's control. No doubt, That sucks, but consider that some of those factors are simply people that want to see APBA fail, and will go to great extremes to kill an event, including screwing with sponsors, local producers and local insurance and city officials.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Searace, I am only speaking from the perspective of a guy that used to race and that got tired of all the changes at last min. that cost me a lot of money. Also from a now spectators point of view when things change as much as they do we loose interest. Maybe a new plan for figureing out how to do this is in oder? I just notice that with SBI for the most part the scedual seems to hold a lot more then APBA. I am not sure why that is but it sure makes it easier for me to plan a trip to a SBI race over a APBA one.

Jon
Old 04-22-2003, 03:16 PM
searace

Jon,

You have hit many nails on the head with one hammer... Great points. John C(big John) can tell you with a fair amount of acuity when a race is going to occur 2 years from now... And your right... all of those involved are loosing interest. Those of us who have been in this for a while are amazed at the turnover... Its called the 3 year cycle. But this problem has plagued Offshore for decades.

Old 04-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Not one........

Not one APBA Offshore racer has been on here complaining. Mostly jabs from newbies sent from the other side to throw all the mud they can. This is getting so old - I think this crap should be deleted and let's get on with boating! BH

Quick Reply: APBA Offshore Chairman's Response to APBA "Report"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.