Notices
View Poll Results: What do you call them?
Lines
85.92%
Ropes
14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Lines or ropes?

Old 04-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Lines, Lines everwhere Lines. I only have lines on my tub!!
Old 04-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I have lines to tie up with.
I have a ski rope.
I have 250 feet of rode my anchor is on.

I put bumpers between the boat and whatever it is tied up to (with lines). The bumpers are also on lines.

I pull my jetskis behind the boat with rope. If I use the same rope to tie the jetski up to something it becomes a line.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Registered

I have lines to tie up with.
mcollinstn You have put way too much thought into this, BTW if I was going to water Ski, I would be using a Ski Rope. Anchor, what is a Anchor???? Is that one of those pointy things the marine police always check you for??? I don't have one of those things, they only slow you down, too heavy, and besides if I had one I don't think it would be too smart if I rode it! I like Otto's explanation, the monogram lines are faster, and every women needs those $300. books, or was that Boots?

Philip
Old 04-25-2003, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Troutly
I'm going to cut little notchs/steps in my lines as we all know (well, except for that Ol' Fart), that stepped lines are faster to secure
Ya beat me to it Troutly.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

Since my dad was a career Navy man, we've lived with nautical terms our whole lives. We didn't have walls, we had bulkheads. No ceiling, but we had the overhead. Never had to sweep the floor, but we had to police the deck. We never put things away, but were told to secure our toys. I guarantee you that my sisters could point you to the head before they were five years old. We had to perfect the "five quart shower". To this day, he won't flush the head if he only pisses in it, that's made mom real happy over the last 52 years.
Another of his pet peeves is to leave a piece of line hanging out of a knot, he calls those "Irish Pennants".
If we were making too much noise, he'd say we were "louder than a drunk bosun mate".
And if you were blocking his way we were "standing in the hatchway like a marine".
We weren't told to get out of his way, we were told to "make a hole".
The kids in the neighborhood thought we were speaking a different language.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

philip

It's not $300 boots,

it's $3,000 boobs...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:52 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In response to Phillip's request:

In 1985 at the Freeport, NY National Offshore event...........

A maroon 41' Apache enters the State Marina(Wet pits).....Big block engines idling at a low roar.

On board are a group of individuals from Brooklyn...........

These individuals are all resplendent in silk shirts, tailored pants, Italian loafers, butter soft fitted leather jackets, accessorised with ample jewelry and cologne.

As the bow of the boat approaches the twin tie off pilings (backwards). One of the individuals, with stylishly coifed blown dry hair, gingerly walks out on the deck holding what appeared to be a 75 foot nylon anchor line in his hands.

At the same time another individual on the dock, who had been waiting for this "crew", began yelling loudly....... "Joey- Joey...... tro me da string ...... tro me da string.....Joey---Jo-EEEE". Simultaneously, the gentleman at the helm.....stylishly coiffed with steel grey hair......began urging in unison "yeah...tro vinnie da string...tro him da string".........

The individual on the bow of the Apache..... whose name apparently was Joey...reared back and threw the entire length of "string"......... with neither end secured to anything....... almost to the shore, ......but,......... unfortunately it didn't quite make it and fell helplessly into the "waddah"....

At that precise moment, Joey fell down on the slick Apache deck.......

Following this is what I refer to as the "get da pole wid da hook...stupid" story.

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 04-25-2003 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:58 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
I'm going to cut little notchs/steps in my lines as we all know (well, except for that Ol' Fart), that stepped lines are faster to secure
The sad fact is.......................... if the " newbie ol' boys" told you this......... you'd probably believe it.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 04-25-2003 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally posted by florida gator
I have a few dock lines, a couple of ski ropes and an anchor rope.
EXACTLY !!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Registered

Default I Still Laugh over that!!!

Thank you T2x. That occurred 18 years ago, and still till this day whenever I am pulling into a dock, and someone standing there, (trying to be helpful) says either, throw me the line, rope, string or whatever, i bust out laughing, so people, please stop thinking I am laughing at you. That statement conjures up the image that T2x just described. BTW who (other then T2x, Tony Caligurie, or myself can tell me which boat they were on?) Why Mr Caligurie? While I was waiting to get craned out of the water (there is always quite a long line of Race Boats waiting at he cranes,) A Argument ensued pertaining to who truly won in that class, and after quite a few threats, the trophy was given up, and the turn buoy the guys on the Apache apparently missed was in the wrong position on that lap.. T2x, BTW if I remember correctly, everyone's name on board the Apache was Joey, except ?? T2x is right, you can't make this stuff up! One more thing, I think running the NYC Poker run is a thing of the past, at least for T2x, Me, I will say I'm sorry, get a"Pass" and maybe run.

Anonymous

Quick Reply: Lines or ropes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.