Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone ever own a Hydrostream? >

Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

Notices

Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

Old 05-02-2003, 03:34 PM
riskybusiness

Dock: At least you wouldn't be boatless anymore!!!!

I'd get it myself, if Michigan weren't so far away---cost me more to get it home than acquire it at auction.

If you've got any small bodies of water near you, you'll have alot of fun with it!!!!

'Lemme know how you make out......

Old 05-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pull up beside an old Hydrostream,you better be in an old Allison or you'll get blown away. Their dangerous behavior is probrably exagerated, but I would prefer an Allison if I had a choice. Hydrostreams can really test your limits and the muscles in your arms on the steering wheel.Buy it and drive it,it's an absolute rush.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that it makes any difference but I doubt if tat's a 1989 vintage boat. I don't think they made anything that small towards the end of their existence, when they were still produced in Minnesota. I had a 91 Vegas, and I beleive that was the last year they were produced in Minnesota. Now they are made in California, but I heard they might move production to Tenn.? That would be a fun boat to play with, a little short for higher speeds though! Steve
Old 05-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved my Viper. I had a 150XS on it and it flew. Ran almost 80. When I first got it I had rubber motor mounts and they were broken and it only had a single cable steering. VERY dangerous!!!! They called me the snake because when I had it trimmed out you could see the engine flopping around on the back of the boat. Then I went to solid motor mounts and dual cable steering. After that it was a easy drive...... Well you got used to it. The 14 has a hook in it and that is sapposed to be there. I know two people that took it out and the boats were horrible after that. I used to take mine out in the ocean all the time. They will handle anything you can toss at them. The weak spot was always the floor. On the old ones they did not treat the bottom of the floor and they would rot out. So check the floor well. That boat also has a balsa core bottom that can get water in it as well. Take a good look at that and if it sounds solid you will have more fun in that boat then you can imagine. I want to buy mine back

Jon
Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Jon`s chit brown Hydostream was known as.............................. "The Insane ****stain"
Old 05-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget after it caught on fire at the marine it was the flying burning potato chip

Jon
Old 05-03-2003, 02:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chrystler outboard is cool too because the water intakes are on the sides of the bullet so it can be raised way high and still get water. Also it accepts merc splined props. Oh yea it is fun to cut/modify the exhaust on them with a sawzall for more power.
have fun........
Old 05-03-2003, 07:01 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

All the above are true...My Laser was a similiar hull but very forgiving when you got it out of shape. Both very fast hulls. The 19 Laser with a 2.4 EFI Merc ran around 92. Dual cable steering and a jack plate, my arms would be killing me the next day...The difference with the jack plate all the way down to all the way up was 10 mph.
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Just Say N2O

Sharkeymarine,

I lived in Houston 1980 to 1982, and had Roark Summerford build me a 16' Laser. It looked similar to a 16' Baja from that time. Rated for a 115. I asked him about how much power the boat would take, and he said he built one for a guy who drag raced it with a Johnson 235.

I put a 140 Evinrude on it (single steering initially), running a 24" chopper it ran in the high 60s. After getting used to that for a while, I traded up to an Evinrude 200. Added jack plate, foot throttle, steering wheel trim, and had a cockpit cover made that would roll back a section for the driver to sit in, like old MGs used to have.

Running a 31" Cleaver, it ran 87 mph on radar. I'm proud to say I never flipped it. It took a set like you show in your picture, but maybe a little higher in the bow. The cool thing was cruising easily at 65 - 70.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Just Say N2O

Oh yeah, when I first put the 200 on, it didn't have any sort of bullet on the lower unit. The first time out after adding the jack plate, I got up to 77 mph and had my first "blow out." Just about had to change my shorts. With the loss of thrust, the bow dropped quickly and caused the boat to "skip" twice. Against all reason, I got back into the gas, got steering control back, and promptly trailered it until the nose cone was complete.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever own a Hydrostream?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.