Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one???? >

38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one????

Notices

38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one????

Old 05-05-2003, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aside from getting into another one of these heated debates about performance....i'll just say this...the donzi just exudes class, design, and a certain lifestyle that others can only try to achieve. from a 16 foot to a world class race boat!

it is an envious position your in!

Last edited by audacity; 05-05-2003 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 AM
Registered

Sonics intentions are to try and add the stepped hull to the 45' hull only. They believe steps to be dangerous and will not put them on any other boat for safety reasons.

If its your concern that new hull styles will make your boat obsolete , then you should take comfort in the fact that Sonic has changed the hull very little over the years.

Last edited by Sonicdriver; 05-05-2003 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Registered

I find myself in the very odd position of agreeing with Audacity

Get the Donzi. It is a year newer, I believe that will affect resale. And from what I have seen the fit and finish in the cabin and engine room are nicer on the Donzi.

The 5 blades will most likely help the mid range, but you usually loose some top end.

I would get the Donzi
Old 05-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Registered

A test article on the 38zx Donzi...
http://www.goboatingamerica.com/main/article.asp?id=235
Attached Thumbnails 38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one????-38zx.jpg  
Old 05-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Registered

I had to make the same choice in 2000, I now own the 42 Sonic. If I were you I would get gps speed not speedo. I have 500efi's and my boat will do 75 in a nice chop all day, the same as my freind's 33zx with 500's.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Registered

And one on the 42 Sonic.....
http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2002tests/april1.php
Attached Thumbnails 38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one????-sonic42.jpg  
Old 05-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have been in several conversations with Rich and Fred of Sonic as recent as two weekends ago. I know they have plans for big Cobra power, staggers, Poker Run and Factory Racing stripped cabin boats, and a few other tricks, like maybe a sit-down boat, however, I have never heard about a step. It may be the idea some day though. Seriously, why not look at the 386 Sonic? Yes, the year thing is going to affect resale, but holy crap, how much more does that Donzi cost originally compared to a boat with one digit difference in the year, still brand new, and 4 FEET LONGER? That Donzi, even real numbers has to be 15-20% more. Don't get me wrong, I like Donzi, and they have their niche. (See my thread about Neda and the 39ZSC.) But holy crap. I have never seen 5 little letters inflate a price moreso than D O N Z I. I found that out when shopping 26 footers a few years ago. I am already shopping 38' footers, and based on how Rich and Fred are taking the company to new levels, coupled with the new infusion of the hulls, decks, and cabin liners, I know the Sonic will be at the top of my list.
If you are looking for the 'shock and awe' factor, the 42 Sonic would catch my eye much quicker than the 38 Donzi, coupled with the fact that I know the Donzi guy spent more than the guy with the Sonic.

Offshore Performance picked up Donzi this season, and now have, side by side by side, Cigarette, Donzi, and Sonic. I know they like to have in stock, (but not solely, they sell all Donzis), the big crusiers (39ZSC, AMAZING) and the little runabouts (22 Classic, sweet boat).

(Now watch me end up with a sweet Donzi dropped in my lap next season. I will eat my words.)
Old 05-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Registered

Well as a Donzi owner I guess my vote is obvious. As far as price list on Donzi's is high but real world paid prices for the boat are very competitive with the competition. On our sea trial is sticky Jacksonville we regestered a solid 75 on GPS on the glassy river. My boat has HP500EFI only like 30 hours and so extension boxes. I spoke with the owner of the Donzi APBA pace boat in Daytona and he is seeing just about 80 with HP500EFI and extention boxes, labbed 30 pitch Bravo I's in a Daytona edition (about 1,000 lbs lighter kevlar hull). BTW my boat is propped with 28 pitch bravo 1's no labbing and I only got 4900 RPM out of the motors. I should see a few mph with some prop work. The cabin is very roomy with 6'2" of headroom. Both are very nice boats but I really like the style of the Donzi and the 9'3" beam is a big plus.

A truly biased Donzi owner.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Nauti-Props

4. Steve Simon confirmed that the 04 38 ZX will have a notched bottom with Sportmasters and 5 blade Hydromotives improving the midrange and topend. Will that be enough to help the ride in 4-5 footers?
"Nauti-Props"
Based on our sea trial in 3- 5 foot ocean rollers the Donzi needs no improvement in ride. Landings were soft and ride was comfortable and very stable. I believe the notch is for speed, the sportmasters will raise the X dimension (more speed) and the five blades will improve bite to get on plane with the higher X dimension. At least that is my understanding.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Registered

donzi has gone to great lengths to improve their boats...from the smallest detail of knocking down the db level in the cockpit, which required some major tooling changes...to large ones such as increasing performance everywhere without taking form the wifes comforts...

yes i'm bias...but i have also had the amazing opportunity to see what this company and their boats are all about from the inside out. it's no wonder why donzi owners have such pride.

Quick Reply: 38zx Donzi or Sonic 42? Which one????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.