Notices

O/t Pc Help!!

Old 05-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/t Pc Help!!

My home PC has finally hosed up.....running W98. It loads with several errors and it's finally time to just format it and reload. Here's my prob.

I'm trying to think of the easiest way to pull info off of it. I have a bunch of emails, mp3's, etc etc that I'd like to save. I guess I can burn it all to CD. The emails are in outlook express and I'm trying to find a way to just get all of them instead of choosing them one by one and saving. Also I plan to upgrade it to Win 2000 because a lot of the software I have I can still run with 2000 and not with XP. Anybody have any ideas about how I could get this done pretty easy?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a way to do it if you have another computer. Try and get in touch with TopDJ and ask him. He is a good computer guy.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

I had a bunch of email stuff I wanted to save when I reformatted. This probably sounds like a lazy way of doing it, but I got a hotmail account and just forwarded them all there in the meantime. Hotmail accounts are quick and easy to get, and I still use it when Im hesitant about giving out my roadrunner address.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

hmmm...yeah thats a good idea. I might do that. I just want to save all the stuff in the address book as well. I guess as far as the mp3's and all the other stuff I'll just have to burn to CD. In my mind I'm tempted just to load W98 again since I have a lot of "free" software that I can use. With W2K I don't think I'll be able to use it....plus my camera, scanner and other stuff might have probs with W2K.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:45 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hook that non booting drive to a second computer as a Slave
make sure the jumper is set to slave then you should be able to
access the files with explorer, copy them to a new folders on the second computer before burning them. If this was 2000 or xp computer it would be much more difficult to do this do to increased security . win 98 uses Fats file system and the newer operating systems use NTFS which is much securer
you could also try booting into safe mode on the "bad computer" and copy the files to another drive , another option is to reinstall win 98 over the top it will sometimes get you back up, before you do this get the files off there with a second drive or 2nd computer

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 05-05-2003 at 08:50 AM.