Shadow Cats... The Good/Bad/Ugly...any info

Notices

Shadow Cats... The Good/Bad/Ugly...any info

Old 05-07-2003, 02:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

1985........ was one of the last years that Larry Wirtzberger did the laminations on the Shadows..... The boat should be a good one.....and nothing under 40 feet will outrun it in rough water....very few hulls will in calm.

Good luck

T2x..........(Rich Luhrs)
Old 05-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey T2x

Hey T2x,
You seem to know alot about cats.I am almost done restoring an ex race boat.It is a 1987 Michael Peters Maelstrom Cat.32 feet with a 10 foot beam.It has Kaama surface drives and twin disc Trannys.I have an old picture of it and it was called Cat Dancer.It has no cabin,strictly a race setup and I am going to use it on Poker runs.I am installing SBC's at 800hp apiece made by Troy Dennis.Can you give me any info on the boat(weight,ride ,etc)anything would be appreciated.Thanks
Mark
you can email me at [email protected]
Old 05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Maelstrom was a joint effort by Mike Peters and Mike Drury.....later on Gene Whipp joined the group....and this boat had modest success. It is basically a scaled down Apache Cat and reflects the partnership between Peters and the late (great) John McCall, who crafted the original wooden versions of both.

I have seen these hulls perform well, but only when throttled by top hands...... It is definitely not forgiving.

I'm also very leery of Arnesons/Kaama's, for a variety of reasons already covered in other posts....... I believe there are extensive parts replacement difficulties with the Kaama's specifically. If you can find them at a reasonable price...I'd look for a set of mercruiser #5's......

Other than that......the hulls had a small but loyal following and spotty success in racing.

Good luck.

T2x
Old 05-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by T2x

I believe there are extensive parts replacement difficulties with the Kaama's specifically.

T2x
Yeah. I know a guy with Kaamas and since they went out of business he has had hell getting parts.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Jeff

that boat came from Sarasota, hope you got a good deal on it. It had been for sale for years. Its heavy. Your going to launch those Kaama drives with your power. Still with that hp it will run hard. I've only been in triple outboard model.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts are not hard to get for the Kaamas.All the bearings can be bought from any supply company and the gears as well as the boots can be bought from Archer Marine in CA.I got the boat in Sept of 2001.What do you mean by launching the drives?I ran it last year with some small motors to get out the kinks.It sucks out of the hole but would get up and go when it hooked up.The small engines would not get it going too good.I know the boat is heavy I am thinking about 7 to 8k I have to weigh it.I got a good deal as I had the hull surveyed before I got it and it came out good.I knew about the rerigging and planned on it.I like doing these projects.How did the triple outboard run,was it fast and stable.If you would like give me a call at 678-522-4873 and I would like to pick your brain.