Like Tree0Likes

Finishing teak flooring

Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Registered

My Boats: boats,cars...speed

Anyone else on what brand is best?.....Thanks, Fred
Old 05-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1988 banana - Sold, 1993 banana - Sold, 1979 banana - Building, 1978 banana - Building, 1972 Cigarette 20 - Sold, 1997 Scarab Sprint - Sold, 1985 Jaguar Stepped Cat, Gaff-Rigged Schooner
Lightbulb Teak Wood

As much as I usually agree with my friend RiskyBusiness, my sailboat crewmembers would have his head for abusing such a fine, expensive wood in that way.

I am against the pressure washing thing all together, I am also against using anything but light sanding with nothing coarser than 220 grit...

The only exception is if the grain is uneven and you want to level it. Then just be careful.

When you are talking trim pieces on the interior or exterior the only way to go is Varnish, and I recommend Ephiphanies. They have many different shades.

As a Charter Boat Captain on a vessel loaded with teak trim, I can say that it is will worth the trouble. If done right, it will catch anybody's eye that goes near your boat.

However, in your case it is the floor. My recommendation here is oil.

Reason being. Varnish is freakin slippery when wet...

If looks are more important than safety, then I have seen many varnish decks that really stand out. I suppose it would be okay if your cockpit is small enough.

I changed my mind, go with the varnish. Or your best bet might be a product that is a mixture of oil and varnish. It doesn't look as good as straight varnish but it last longer than oil.

For that I recommend Cetol.

See ya.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Registered

I have a 12" square piece to try both varnish and oil on, the only other question I have is a polyurethane like "Minwax" for floors any good to use?.....Fred
Old 05-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Registered

TTT
Old 05-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Registered

My Boats: '77 Martini 7 Meter

If it is really teak, then it has a natural oil in the wood and that's why it lasts so long in boats, but unless you keep after it with the washing, bleaching, and oiling process, it usually looks bad. And because of the natural oil in the wood, varnish won't stick well either. I have gone to Sikkins Cetol Satin as was reckommended to me in the BVI's where they really have some sun and rain. I stripped and put three coats on three years ago and it still looks about as good as then but I will probably do a refresher coat this year. Check it out! --- Jer
Old 05-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Registered

jpclear, someone else mentioned the cetol...is that a type of varnish or?...my floor is only exposed on weekends and our summer is only about three months long so I am debating on a type of varnish or using the oil....Fred
Old 05-15-2003, 06:01 PM
Registered

My Boats: '77 Martini 7 Meter

Fred: I'm a northern guy too. As far as I'm concerned, this stuff is the answer. I screwed up on the spelling before but I got the can right in front of me now and this is what it is, as available from full service marine dealers and BOAT US or WEST MARINE. [SIKKENS Certol Marine; Protective translucent wood finish for boats] This REALLY works for me on teak. Later! --- Jer
Old 05-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Registered

My Boats: Call me "Shockwave Dave!"

FRED my entire floor on my Scarab -III is teak.... I refinished it 3 years ago ... ask anyone whos seen it... LEOPJM .. BIGDADDY ECT... they can't belive how nice it looks... I bought some stuff at the boat show.... cant remember the name but I will get it for you its really good... it applies with a foam brush... three coats its a teak spectifc sealer/ oil..... I'' get yiu name and # ASAP..... DAVE
Old 05-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: Call me "Shockwave Dave!"

good to talk to on the phone Fred... any else thet needs awesome teak treatment thats easy to use and lasts... its called TEAKGUARD...MADE BY ALL GUARD PRODUCTS... PHONE# 1-800-TEAK...(8325)... DAVE
Old 05-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Dave...Fred