Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Airdock boatlift (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50050-airdock-boatlift.html)

Cigaretteman 05-15-2003 09:27 AM

Airdock boatlift

Does anybody have experience with this type of boat lift good or bad ? I am considering it for my Top Gun since I canīt fit any other type of lift in my slip.

Cigaretteman

Peconic 05-15-2003 09:53 AM

Cheesy. Picture a Cigarette on a whoopie cushion. I did a lot of research on floating lifts and settled on the Sunstream FloatLift. Very fast and very shallow draft. Sets you back 10K. http://www.sunstreamcorp.com

Cigaretteman 05-15-2003 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Peconic
Cheesy. Picture a Cigarette on a whoopie cushion. I did a lot of research on floating lifts and settled on the Sunstream FloatLift. Very fast and very shallow draft. Sets you back 10K. http://www.sunstreamcorp.com
Peconis,

Do they make a lift that will support a Top Gun and only costs 10K ? The website does not have any info about sizes and weight of boats.

Cigaretteman

Tim G. 05-15-2003 10:21 AM

Cigman,
Check your PM.

Peconic,
Thanks for the referral.

Peconic 05-15-2003 10:45 AM

Two sizes for the floaters. One for up to 6000 lbs, one up to 9000 lbs.

I paid 10K for the 6000lbs model, fits my F1 Kryptonite just divvy.

Specs at http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/ssc/fil...mSpecs2002.pdf

Tim: The FloatLift going to Southshore Docks is mine.

By the way: These floating lifts are a great way to get around the new anti-boat-lift regs that are popping up all around the country. A floating lift doesn't qualify as a lift, it's a vessel without motor. Here in the Hamptons they have totally banned new lifts, citing environmental reasons. Supposedly they disturb the ground. No mention of the toxins released through bottom painting - which you don't need with a lift.

Peconic 05-15-2003 10:47 AM

Cigaretteman: You want that thing up in Denmark? Hmm. That'll probably cost a bit more ... it's huge.

Tim G. 05-15-2003 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pecoic-
The big Floatlift is now known as a 10,000lb capacity. They'll be available in about 1 month.
US Coast Guard Miami Beach has oune of our Fl10s. They love the thing and use it about 5 times per day!!!!!
They use it for a 28' Safeboat with twin OBs, and a 27' Ambar with OBs. That Safeboat is every bit of 10,000lb.

There should be just enough room on the rails of your FL6 to put some OSO stickers on it!:D

Oh yeah, Top speed on an FL6 is 6mph on my GPS. We put a 5hp Merc on the back of the lift when we deliver them by water...
Looks pretty interesting running doen the river on a FL. I'll take a picture of the next one with the OB on it..

Enjoy your Fl. The guys at Southshore will take good care of you.

Got a fixed or floating dock? In a tidal area?

srpbaer 05-15-2003 11:16 AM

Cigman...I have used an Airdock for 5 this is my fifth year now. I love it. If it is too cheap like some one referred to, let me know and you can just give me the extra money...!!!!!! Seriously, it has worked great and better than expected for the money. Ken who owns the company is a straight shooter too. You give him the size and he will guide you right.....Incidently my boat weights 4600 lbs and I am useing an Airdock that was designed for a 3500 boat...(traded boats and still used the "old" Airdock). Good luck.

Peconic 05-15-2003 12:43 PM

Tim: Floating dock, approx 3 feet of tide. The FloatLift will go alongside the existing floating dock. No sweat.

SRP: I didn't say cheap. I said cheesy. The airdock isn't especially cheap. I'm sure it works. But it looks cheesy. I nearly bought one because of my shallow water situation. Then someone showed me the FloatLift and I was sold. I have no connection with Sunstream, I even paid damn RETAIL, which is illegal where I live.

dkwestern 05-15-2003 12:45 PM

I just called airdock yesterday to get a quote. They haven't called back yet. Can anyone give me ballpark prices. I would need the class "D" lift for a 33 ft. boat.

h2owarrior 05-15-2003 12:51 PM

From all the boat lifts I have seen, I like the hydrohoist the best. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.boatlift.com/

They make a lift that will easily carry your Cig. I have a 14,000lb model for my AT. They are not however shallow draft. If I remember correctly they require about 6 feet of water to operate.

Cigaretteman 05-15-2003 01:05 PM

Originally posted by h2owarrior
From all the boat lifts I have seen, I like the hydrohoist the best. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.boatlift.com/

They make a lift that will easily carry your Cig. I have a 14,000lb model for my AT. They are not however shallow draft. If I remember correctly they require about 6 feet of water to operate.

h2owarrior,

I like the Hydrohoist too but not their prices !!! The company that sells them over here are asking over 30.000 $ for a lift that fits my boat. It is not like I am trying to buy a car or a small boat they must really laugh their ass off everytime they sell one. My problem is a very narrow slip "11 feet" and the water is deep like 18 feet. This rules out a lot of lifts.

Thanks for all of your comments ! keep them comming.

Cigaretteman

RebarBox 05-15-2003 01:07 PM

If you don't mind traveling a little or alot (Denmark???). Might try the attached, hydrohoist and boatfloaters are always available.

http://www.grand-chronicle.com/class...&submit=Search

Tim G. 05-15-2003 01:20 PM

Pricing

Gentlemen,
I can answer pricing inquiries on all Sunstream products, including an OSO discount. However, I'd rather do it in direct contact, as to not transact business on this site.
My marketing department hasn't gotten themselves moving to place the ad on OSO yet...
You're all free to contact me anytime.
[email protected]
954-647-5131 Cell
954-340-5170 office

I am a man of integrity. You all may be waiting for me to bash the products of Hydrohoist and Air Dock, but I wouldn't think of conducting myself in that manner, on OSO at least..:D

srpbaer 05-15-2003 02:19 PM

Peconic...let me get this straight....If it works or not is not as important as how it looks????? Let me stop this conversation before it gets even more bizzar...Sounds like the "Bayliner" mentallity to me
Cig...the "d" model I think sells for less than 4000.00 dollars. It may a bit higher but not much. I paid about 2500 dollars for mine five years ago.

Tim G. 05-15-2003 02:38 PM

Better lift it!

What ever you do... Just be sure you do get a lift.
90% of boat sinkage occurs at the dock. AND, your insurance company knows this.
Be sure to tell your insurance provider that your boat will be on a lift, out of the water. This could be worth several hunderd beans every year!

Raypanic 05-15-2003 02:41 PM

I priced an air dock for my 38' PQ it was $3,400.00 It was the D/E Perf. type

Tim G. 05-15-2003 02:42 PM

That is cheap. That's all I have to say about that...

US1 Fountain 05-15-2003 09:32 PM

I just bought and installed a 10,000# Galva-Lift for my boat. 3 of us beat up the dealer and got a group price of $5800. It is built WAY stronger than Hydro Hoist.

h2owarrior 05-15-2003 10:09 PM

Originally posted by US1 Fountain
I just bought and installed a 10,000# Galva-Lift for my boat. 3 of us beat up the dealer and got a group price of $5800. It is built WAY stronger than Hydro Hoist.
Not sure I agree with the "stronger" part, but they are nice lifts. A 10,000 lb lift is too small for the AT. The boat weighs 10,500 lbs (+ or - depending on fuel, water, etc), had to go with a 14,000 lb model. Also had to go with a long model due to the length of boat. The floats are 32' long. Got it for $7,000 installed and set up for the boat:)

Cigaretteman, $30,000 sounds like a lot of money. How much of that cost is shipping ?

Peconic 05-16-2003 04:23 AM

Originally posted by h2owarrior
Cigaretteman, $30,000 sounds like a lot of money. How much of that cost is shipping ?
Probably a whole lot. I don't have their pricelist in my head, but I seem to recall that their 4000 lbs model went for $4K or thereabouts.

Cigman: Given your rather skinny slip size and the inordinate shipping costs to the state of Denmark, maybe that Airdock is not such a bad choice for you after all. Deflated, it's much easier to ship than the bulky stuff.

And if you get sick of it, you can use it as a waterbed.

jafo 05-16-2003 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Peconic
Deflated, it's much easier to ship than the bulky stuff.
And if you get sick of it, you can use it as a waterbed.

Are you talking about the same Airdock I'm familiar with? The one I know of is made of black poly plastic squares that interlock to form size and shape, from trawler, jet ski, performance boat, to float plane, they're pretty damn versatile, but I think you'd have a tough time deflating them, and I sure wouldn't want to sleep on them either.;) :) Is there another out there that I haven't heard of that inflates?
Jim

Peconic 05-16-2003 07:04 AM

Jafo: The Airdock is the floating whoopie cushion. Inflatable.

http://www.airdock.com

I'm familiar with the plastic squares, but their name escapes me at the moment. They definitely do not in- or deflate.

jafo 05-16-2003 07:21 AM

Sorry peconic- my mistake!

The one I'm thinking of is Jet-Dock, and they ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!

From the ones I've seen though, they work very well; not sure how good they would be in an area affected by wakes or waves, but I watched a guy power a Cessna 206 on floats up on one, and it was the slickest thing I've seen for that application.
They make them in all sizes and shapes for any boat.
Jim

damndonzi 05-25-2009 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cigaretteman (Post 574893)
Does anybody have experience with this type of boat lift good or bad ? I am considering it for my Top Gun since I canīt fit any other type of lift in my slip.

Cigaretteman

THEY WORK GREAT, BUT I HAVEN'T FOUND ANY BOTTOM PAINT THAT WILL STICK TO THE AIR DOCK TO KEEP THE BARNACLES OFF YET...

damndonzi 05-25-2009 08:32 PM

Air Dock Boat Lift

Originally Posted by damndonzi (Post 2872799)
THEY WORK GREAT, BUT I HAVEN'T FOUND ANY BOTTOM PAINT THAT WILL STICK TO THE AIR DOCK TO KEEP THE BARNACLES OFF YET...

ANYBODY HAVING ANY SUCCESS WITH BOTTOM PAINT ON THESE AIR DOCKS ? I TRIED WHAT THEY RECOMMEND ( BOTTOM SHIELD BY WEST MARINE) BUT IT FELL OFF AFTER A MONTH AND I WOUND UP WITH LOTS OF BARNACLES TO SCRAPE AT THE END OF THE SEASON...

glassdave 05-25-2009 08:43 PM

there are some sealers just for polyethylene that may work or at least help. Hey if the paint doesn't stick how do the barnacles stick? :D

you know this is a six year old thread dont ya :D

Ryan8886 05-25-2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2872818)
there are some sealers just for polyethylene that may work or at least help. Hey if the paint doesn't stick how do the barnacles stick? :D

Dave,

What kind of sealer would you recommend? Ran into problems last year with zebra mussles all over the bottom of mine...ended up with a cut in it thanks to them. Know nothing will keep them off entirely but anything would help.

glassdave 05-25-2009 11:16 PM

actually i didnt realize these were the inflatable bag type of lift i thought it was about the ridgid Jet dock type. Not sure what you can put on these kind.

EWPE 05-26-2009 07:05 AM

I have had two different size airdocks and have used the West marine bottom shield with out a problem . Call Ken at airdock he has always been helpful .

jeff32 05-26-2009 08:25 AM

they seem to be a good solution for boat lift. I'd be scared someone else in the marina borrow my place and run over or in the air dock and cut iti off with the prop...

Stormrider 05-26-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by EWPE (Post 2872968)
I have had two different size airdocks and have used the West marine bottom shield with out a problem . Call Ken at airdock he has always been helpful .

x2. That paint worked fine on mine.
Didn't stick to the hoses thou.

damndonzi 05-26-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2872818)

I DO NOW ! THANKS I'M NEW AT THIS...

damndonzi 05-26-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2873129)
x2. That paint worked fine on mine.
Didn't stick to the hoses thou.

MAYBE I DIDN'T PREP IT CORRECTLY. KEN TOLD ME THAT BOTTOM SHIELD IS THE RIGHT STUFF , SO I GUESS I'LL TRY AGAIN AND SEE IF IT WORKS THIS TIME.

mikeorren 09-30-2010 05:09 PM

Air-Dock is a bad deal. No service or communication. I bought one that's now useless because after months of trying I can't get a part.

http://orrenmedia.com/2010/09/30/pro...oat-your-boat/

Ken185 04-20-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mikeorren (Post 3220440)
Air-Dock is a bad deal. No service or communication. I bought one that's now useless because after months of trying I can't get a part.

http://orrenmedia.com/2010/09/30/pro...oat-your-boat/

Mike Orren had been trying to call our dealer who had gone out of business. As soon as we learned about it (through a web posting) we contacted Mike, apologized for the inconvenience, shipped him the parts no charge, and provided no charge technical support (as we always do). In fact, we have an after-hours tech support" number and we make every attempt to return calls evenings and weekends.

Happy Boating,

Ken Moody
Air-Dock

Stormrider 04-26-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ken185 (Post 3382233)
Mike Orren had been trying to call our dealer who had gone out of business. As soon as we learned about it (through a web posting) we contacted Mike, apologized for the inconvenience, shipped him the parts no charge, and provided no charge technical support (as we always do). In fact, we have an after-hours tech support" number and we make every attempt to return calls evenings and weekends.

Happy Boating,

Ken Moody
Air-Dock

Ken, good to see you here.
Been a long time since we spoke, but you were always available when i needed to speak to someone!
Great customer service.

mikeorren 08-31-2011 02:01 PM

I want to follow up and let everyone know that as soon as Ken at AirDock saw this message, he reached out to me and made things right. It turns out the communication problem was the local dealer who is no longer in the business.

Everything has been resolved and we're happy customers who would confidently recommend Airdock.

woodbr11 09-02-2011 09:03 AM

I have been using an Airberth for the last 5 years. Excellent product and no maintenance. All plastic so no rusting parts.

http://www.airberth.com/