Like Tree0Likes

Vacation home in Havasu???

Old 05-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 382 Formula Fastech
Question Vacation home in Havasu???

We live in Northern California and have been thinking about buying a winter boating vacation home elsewhere.

There is a new development going in at Havasu City called The Refuge. It will have its own golfcourse and be very close to the lake. Homes can have up to a 67' deep garage to store the boat.

So far this sounds like the ideal place, but I wanted to get some input from other OSO'ers that may live there or have vacation homes there already.

How is the winter boating season?

What would you do differently now that you have been there for a while?

Hows the nightlife?

I'm always up for the big boating parties, but is it always that way? Does it settle down during the week?

What size boat is perfect for Havasu?

And just about anything else you can think of would be helpful

Thanks
Old 05-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: was a 1989 scarab

Is that the place on the right as you come into town?(by airport)
night life slows down during the week but you can always find someone to do, something to do,sorry
My mother in law lives there. Great place to go and chill out. Boating in the winter in still active. A little cold but the water is almost flaT ALL THE TIME. Yes it does settle down quite a bit during the weekdays. As for boat size, my choice would be in the 28-32 foot range. smaller is OK and so is BIGGER.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Registered

The yellow outline is the future Refuge Development
Attached Thumbnails
Vacation home in Havasu???-aerial1_ltedges.jpg  
Old 05-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Registered

Will there be a place to launch the boat in the development? I know the water is really shallow right around that area. Get a house with a view of the river so you can see all the wild boats and other stuff that goes up river. Hey i also lived in northern cali for 20 yrs. St. Helena to be exact
Rick
Old 05-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by scarabrick
Will there be a place to launch the boat in the development? I know the water is really shallow right around that area. Get a house with a view of the river so you can see all the wild boats and other stuff that goes up river. Hey i also lived in northern cali for 20 yrs. St. Helena to be exact
Rick
I don't believe there is a launch ramp, and I would definitely get a house with a river view
Old 05-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Uncle Toys

Allen:

The area to the right of your yellow-outlined section is the river delta that feeds the Colorado river into lake Havasu. The river is the section on the far right and everything left of that is too shallow for boats. Those islands are just reeds and that area is typically 2-3 foot deep silt bottom where the waverunners play.

The big issue for you might be where to launch!

Winter boating season is quite and glassy water. Some
seasons the water level can get too low. Regardless, it's always interesting getting up river in the winter.

Mid-week is always quite, even during the hight of the season. Wednesday being the trough and by Friday its rocking again.

In my opinion, a 30 foot cat could handle the worst Havasu can dish out with ease. My 26 handles it, just occasionaly its a bit rough. The problem with size tends to be docking and beaching (which is something we do a lot of). However, you see 38 Vhulls all the time on the lake and river.

Just curious, you are familiar with the beastly heat in the summer? Coming from your climate, it could be a shock for the three months of summer!

Give me a call if you want to discuss further etc.

Joe

Old 05-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Registered

My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988

Heres the key to owning a vacation house in havasu. Rent it out during the winter months to the "snow birds". Their rent for the winter months basically pays for the morgage on the house for the whole year.

The season for havasu starts in late march or early april and goes through October!

There are a few night spots to party at but it is quiet during the week. If you've never been there except for a big weekend you should go. It is still a huge party EVERY WEEKEND just not so crouded that you cant even move your boat like on the super busy weekends.

The cool thing about havasu is theres multiple places to party on the lake. You have the sand bar, copper canyon, steam boat, and the channel to name the big ones. And on any given weekend those are all filled up with some good fornacation...I mean good times, good times

Anyway, hope that helps. I've heard those new places you are talking about are going to be awesome! And the market out there is just climbing through the roof. Get in now before it gets too expensive like California. Nothing but an investment right now. Good luck hope to see you out there.

Tank
Old 05-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered

Hey tank ! You seen Mike J lately?
When you do, say HI for me and ask him if he's ever going to finish that Scarab! It not, then tell him to give it to ME

Rick Borba
Old 05-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988

Hey Rick. How's life out in Vegas?? No I haven't talked to Mike lately. You see him pop up time and again on here. He spok to a good friend of mine who's trying to sell a really nice scarab at a good price to some people he knows. If you know anyone that wants a sweeeeeet ass 97 scarab with Teague 800's big shaft 3's all he best, for prob. under 90k let me know.

I haven't seen your boy with the outerlimits out here either. You need to get out here and have him launch that thing so we can go for a ride!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 28 Skater / 300x's

We have had a house out there for about three years. The prices are climbing fast, so the sooner you get in the better. We rent it out for three to four months during the winter to the "snowbirds", and then to people we know on some of the weekends during the summer. It almost pays the mortgage, and if we rented it out more it would easily. We don't rent it as much as we could.

Going rates for a house like ours (1650 sq. ft., 1/3 acre, pool, lake view, central location close to the bridge) is about 1200-1300 per month. Daily rates are about $350 for holidays and $200-250 for non-holidays. After owning a house there it would be very hard to go back to hotels.

We just got back last night, and the greens are going in at the Refuge right now. Ther are a few buildings going up, and the information office is there as well. As for launching, the Refuge is up againsta the protected area that surrounds the lake, so I don't think you will se a launch ramp there. All the ramps that are not on the island are state owned.

The only problem i see with the refuge is it is on the far north end of town. There is not much down there now, and the area surrounding it is not the best. Tere are alot of run down trailers in parks next to it. maybe the area will clean up with the property prices going up.

Tank is right about the action on the lake. Every weekend in the summer is happening, with the holidays out of control. we usually stay away from the lake on the hoilidays because it just gets to be to much some times.

The best place for night life would be Kokomo's. It is located at the London Bridge Resort. On the hoilday weekends, and during spring break they get about 3000 people in the place.

I would do some trips on holiday and non holiday weekends and get a feel for the place. Prices are on the rise though, so the longer you wait the more you are going to pay.