Like Tree0Likes

Top Ten Ugly Cars for 2003

Old 05-20-2003, 09:37 AM
Registered

My Boats: 24 Skater

GM pisses me off to no end.
They toted the prototype Avalanche around the US prior to releasing the production version. I happened to catch it at the USGP at Indy. It was a far cry from what hit the showroom floors the following year. The North Face interior was functional and cool looking. The wheel/tire combo was much more aggressive. they were one-off 18" Goodyears, custom made for the Avalanche prototype, along with polished billet wheels that filled up the wheelwells.
The concept looked mean. It looked less plastic and not so cheap. The production version looks as if the designers lost the battle with the project's accountant. Then they still managed to sell them for a sick amount of money!

I'm sure they'll do the same "softening" if the prototype SS, (6.0L 430 HP, RWD), and the Pontiac G6,(supercharged AWD), make it into production.
The SS will end up front wheel drive V6 and come out supercharged V6 the following year in a last ditch effort to sell the cars.
The G6 will end up front wheel drive and V6. Basically a Grand Am with a facelift.
Both cars will have interiors that are a far cry from the cool concept cars. They both will have a more conservative stance and body lines.

Chrysler is the only American manufacturer that produces what they flaunt to us in concept form. At least, they come closest. I like Chrysler. They have balls.

Allan4, I can't agree with you more on the new GM trucks. The interior is great, the drivetrain rocks, but that grill is fugly!
The dually is the only version of the new GM truck that somehow calms down the front end. I can stomach it. The fleetsides are hideous.

Ford's HD trucks still look good. I always thought the half ton and Expedition's were ugly.

Dodge's new truck looks great.

RANT OFF.

For some pics of the SS and G6, go here= http://autoshow.msn.com/autoshow2003...xml=GMConcepts
Old 05-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Sweet 16

puder,

i couldnt have said it any better...the cayenne looks like the hyundai sante fe... what and ugly POS!

and that element thing is quite possibly the ugliest thing ever built next to the aztec...i really wonder about htese design teams...are they a bunch of 3 year olds?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 28 Skater / 300x's

Quote from MrOffshore:

The H2 Hummer...let's be honest here...it is what it is...and it certainly is a needed improvment over the original Hummers...so, again this doesn't belong on the list as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that the H-2 is what it is, and it is unique, but an improvement over the original hummer?......No way. The H-1 is the real deal, lets take the two off road and see who comes out on top. Not even a close comparison IMO.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun

We need big blocks, real hard tops and TAILFINS!
Old 05-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun

Oh yea, I almost forgot, Big chrome front bumpers with ''boobies''.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Too Old - that Gremlin is still inspriational. Take a close look at the quarter glass on a new Nissan Murano. Actually, picture a 4 door Gremlin, and compare the whole image.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
My Boats: Hot rods, Hot boats, Beer & more Beer
Default Suzuki Aerio??

I agree that GM is the king of Fugly vehicles this year. But what about some of these names they are coming out with to go along with them? What the hell is an Aerio? Isn't that part of a booby?

I guess they're running out of fresh ideas all the way around?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 Chris Cat
Default You guys must love rice

The Cadillac CTS is fresh design, not an imitation. These vehicles drive fantastic!

The Aztek, OK no argument there. Ugly

Avalanche, some people like the cladding look. It's a great truck, very versatile.

VOLVO'S, oh my god. looks like a 20 Sweedish meatball all of them.

Climbing off of soapbox now.

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 05-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Baja 190 DSR

Quote:
Originally posted by groove
I agree! I think they really do like ugly cars now. Why else would someone put a huge wing and fat tires on a Honda with a 3 inch exhaust system.
You would loose power with a 3"

At least go with 4.5, 5is best though

Old 05-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Registered

My Boats: 95 Formula 336, HP500's

I saw an Element next to an Aztek on the expressway today. Don't know what else to say about it, I'm trying to strike it from my memory.

Now in regards to the Avalanche, everytime I see it on a list like this, I like it even more. I'm currently trying to replace my 2002 Av with a 2003 with the lease buy-out they are offering, but 2500's are hard to find right now.