Like Tree0Likes

Class 1 in Portugal

Old 05-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

Victory should of bought a Skater instead of trying to make a poor copy.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Callan 50

Cat,

4 speeds, 500 cu, 64mm restrictor, no forced induction (except for scoop). Most using Lambo's...Victory Team builds their own 12 cylinder based on the BMW block. Fuel is now controlled similar to here...

All boats running shaft (BPM/Sage) drives. Victory building boats now (as Tencara did) for other teams (not captive production). Actually, Spirit of Norway won in their new Victory cat (Michael Peters design). The Victory guys crashed both their new cats...nobody's got the setup's correct yet. The restrictor is forcing them to choose top end or accelleration. In total between the time trial and race three boats rolled...very unusual for C1 (i.e. rudder boats)...cornering speed is critical to win...and setup is key to cornering...right side up...
Old 05-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Registered

cat,

Maybe the most interesting thing is that the races are being self-promoted this year. The teams formed an association (IOTA) and put on the races themselves.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:56 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Good information Tachyon
Old 05-26-2003, 10:21 PM
Registered

Too Old,

For the most part the europeans have strayed from american technology. They gave up the speedmaster drive for the shaft drive. keith (Eickert) and Sterling used to supply teams until Seatek and lambo became the flavors of choice. The last Skater barrel-rolled and was sent home after one race. Pat Weismann and Mike Sage are the holdouts still supplying transmissions and dropboxes. Victory is now making their own dropbox as well as engines and hulls.

Americans were present in the past but had their "heads sucked" and were sent home. The lone exception might be Jim Dyke. Rokke (Jim's owner/driver)is taking the year off from racing as it is seen as an extravagence and he employees 3% of Norway and leads by example in a down economy. Come race here! They'll never know

The european and american rules are converging slowly. It would be REAL EXCITING to see some cross fertilization...and might be just what the sport needs...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

We even used the two speed B&M tranny in Mr Technology. The broke within minutes so we go rid of them.

What was that about the racers forming their own race series? Who? Why? So they are not part of UIM?

No different on either side of the pond I guess.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:16 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Jotun is a MTI with Tri-max drives Lambo engines and Weismann drop gearboxes. It is basically a Tommy Bahama boat Class 1 style. A little longer and wider but rigged by Gary Stray.
Class 1 outlawed multispeeds in 2001. That was the end of the diesels.
ZD used our 3 speed transmissions and drysump #6 drives.
The boat that went to europe was Alcone and he ran strong but he won when Felix stuffed.
2 years ago the Europeans were coming over. The drive rule was put in place and the europeans said they would not race a "pleasureboat drive."
IOTA is running the offshore promotion this year instead of Url Isic a Turkish racer. IOTA's president is Eduardo Polli and vice president is Venturelli. Most of the class one races are in Europe and the middle east. They need a race over here.
Hey cat how is the tri-hull?
pat W
Old 05-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

Shifter,

Heard Jotun was "smoking" Saturday before the mishap. Jan put it back together Sat. night...what happened to the speed Sunday?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

Pleasureboat drive thats funny I guess anything with gears in it would be a pleasureboat drive then,By that mentality.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 Gunshow

Too Old:

The B&M transmission was a version of the Chrysler Torqueflite. Why they chose the Torgqueflite and not the GM Powerglide is perplexing. The Powerglide is much more developed, and often used in drag racing.

Shifter can comment on the Zero Defect trans. I believe it was a proprietary unit.

vtec