Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   28 magnum (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51097-28-magnum.html)

Mag27 05-30-2003 07:25 AM

In Naples a man by the name of Roger Mund who i am sure some of you know because he`s raced with Dr. Santiago,can give you more inf.on the early Mags. then anybody i know.From what he`s told me he was with Arronow when he built the 27 and even was the owner o f the no. 1 hull for a while.Man if we could get him on here he could ansewer a lot of questions. MAG27

ScottB 05-30-2003 07:35 AM

Roger is from Brick NJ and used to Race a 27 Magnum called Jolley Roger in the 70's. I think after that he raced Spirit of Panama.
The last I saw him he was racing an A class boat in 1995 in WPB
A boat called Team Mean Green

cobra860 05-30-2003 08:18 AM

Some more info on the magnum.
If I remeber right, one of the first magnums 27 that Don Aronov raced with, had outboards, He sold it after a race called getingloppet in Sweden. This was in 1967?68?
This magnum, was raced for some years, and then the hull was used for making a mould, this was the sold under the name Avanti. This was then copied by several other scandinavian boat manufactures. And is still sold up here in the north under many names.

So this exelent hull is probably one of the most copied hulls ever..

cobra860 05-30-2003 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of the boats still prodused which is most likely a old magnum hull.

Hauling Trash 05-30-2003 03:35 PM

This is some GREAT Magnum History

But whos got the olds magnum racing still today ,My is 1972

rainmn 05-30-2003 03:43 PM

I concur, Roger Munn would be awesome to have on here. Jolley Roger is the first race boat that I really remember from when I was a little kid, and my dad was taking me to the races. Anyone remember BBPBRA?
His old shop, Roger's Speed Shop is about two minutes from my house. Pretty sure it's long since closed, but still has the original signs up.

cartman 05-30-2003 03:59 PM

Glad to see so much interest in old magnums. Yes too slow that is the boat, hull appears to be solid but it's a real project needs everything. Anyone rember it racing? :confused: :D

dammmagnum 05-30-2003 04:51 PM

27 Magnums

Hello,
In the mid to late 70s I had a 27 Magnum Sport called Sea Wraith later to be come Plum Crazy(it was purple/white). We ran around the Bay with Roger and the several other 27 Magnums. Roger was the first to run over 80MPH with Big blocks and MDS drives,, Bud Crisp had a yellow Magnum(Rated X) speedmasters that was pretty fast(low 80s), there was Roger's brother-in law Gary that had a blue Magnum that ran in the high 70s. and there was Don who owned the Harley dealership in Point with an all white Magnum that would run low 80s.
Billy Martin (Bounty Hunter) would be out there with his Sport Fisherman. Roger and Billy raced for years together, Billy also raced an old 28 Magnum with a single engine in it and it was purple also.
i always wonder if, my purple/white Magnum is still around,
Sold it to a good friend of mine who sold it to a woman that lived in South Jersey
one day will get another one
jim

rainmn 05-30-2003 07:25 PM

damnmagnum, I don't know if your old boat is still around today, but I do remember yours, along with all the others you mentioned, from when I was a kid.
Was it just me, or was pretty much every boat in those old Barnegat Bay races a Magnum?

tripps 05-30-2003 08:31 PM

Yes those Magnums were something else, by the way I now this doesn't count ,cause you guys are talkin about flat decks,not sedans,bu t my sedan weighs 5400 with a single bbc. It does run quite well in rough water,but no one wants it!! All I know is I did a ton of work to it and it needs a new home! any body intrested ?
Tripps