Notices

Mississippi River

Old 05-29-2003, 05:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey hp500 and mrp,

you guys should let us know the next time you head that way....ive never boated on the river and would love to go with some experienced river rats to show us around. it sounds like fun
Old 05-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Registered

We'd love to show you guys around! Check the Poker Run section for our Liquid Jungle Poker Run on 16 August 03. We'll be touring a pretty good section of river that day.

Bruce
Old 05-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by hp500efi
We usually head North up river as the beauty of the river starts in La Crosse and heads up stream. Going South gets boring real quick but not a bad ride down to Dubuque.
We've been boating out of Savanna, IL, north to Galena and Dubuque since the early 80's- not sure I agree with you on the beauty thing- some awfully nice scenery south of LaCrosse to Savanna, but the river doesn't do much for us heading south of there towards Clinton.
I'll still take the North Channel of Lake Huron over any fresh-water boating destination out there. (that's where I'm typing this now)
Jim
Old 05-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Registered

Best western is indeed the name. I think the bars name is Moxxies (sp) hard to remember that kind of stuff when you party on the dock like they are going to quit making beer the next day.
(I like that saying so much I had to steal it.)

Activethundertodd. A few years ago you where going to come up our way, what happened to ya man? The river is Awesome up here and Lake Pepin is a Blast!!! Great poker run location. wouldnt you say boys? Hope to see some of you this summer,

hp500 we had a dial on ya when you went by. Boat still looks good.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:08 AM
mrp
Registered

Thanks for the info guys! I look forward to hooking up when I finalize the plans. Tried to get a reservation at the Best western midway and they are booked. So I may be looking for a different weekend or just find a different place to stay. I agree with hp500efi that it's better to put the boat on the trailer at night.
HP500efi lets hook up on Pewaukee. Send me a PM when you're going.

thanks

Matt
Old 05-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, another nice hotel in town and real close to the launch is the Super 8. They have truck parking and 24 hour pool and hot tub . They are just down the road from the Best Western but not right on the water. We like that place as well.

Matt, also be aware of some of the slow no wake zones on the river (watch for signs on land as well as small white bouys in the water). There is one in front of Winona, Wabasha, and one just before Red Wing and then again in front of Red Wing as well as one in front of Prescott. They mean SLOW NO WAKE especially on the weekends.

I'll let you know when we head out to Pewaukee . Hopefully the weeds don't swamp the East end of the lake like last year. I think I was out there once or twice and that was it. We like it so the kids can swim and such. We usually go out after work for a few hours and maybe stop at Ike's pub for a beer and pizza.

Wildchild, caincando1, Thirsty Turtle, what do you guys do over the 4th of July?. We are probably headed out to the river over that weekend and have always stayed around La Crosse for the fireworks and Riverfest. If you guys are around, I might head North to boat with you and find some of those secret places to have a cold one .

Otherwise I will let everyone know the next time we hit the river, you others do the same and if I am not doing anything, I might just trailer out and join ya.

ATT, would love to see that AT cruising the river .

Jeff
Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Some of those deep backwater channels lead to some interesting places
Old 05-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce, you lead and I shall follow , you just let me know ahead of time if I should leave the kids at home
Old 05-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Jeff-are you going to (again) try to (again) put together another Mississippi trip (again)?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:13 PM
1Malibu

Default Good Suggestions

Another good place to stop is Huck Finns in La Crosse. It is a new resturant that the Marina I work for just built on the black river. Can't miss it. Located in the slow no wake zone just south of the boat launch on the black river. Live entertainment, no wake, and good docks.

Quick Reply: Mississippi River

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.