Super cheap Plasma's hmmm? >

Super cheap Plasma's hmmm?

Notices

Super cheap Plasma's hmmm?

Old 06-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Jon, on the daylight viewable screen, I'm not particularly caring *much* about black levels (of course I care "some" but it is a low priority issue). This screen will be in the cockpit of the cruiser. I do normally run the canvas top, without the sides, and the Macintosh LCD I've been running for a few years just washes out in daytime use in all but the grimmest weather. It's bordering on beautiful for it intended usage in evenings and night viewing, but daytime is crappy.

topdj, haven't looked at your link yet but will do so as soon as I post this. thx
Old 06-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Okay, new question.

Brian, you may have a handle on this..

I see zillions of analog LCD's. Many are amazingly inexpensive (for a variety of reasons). Any of the ones I see are D-sub (VGA) input only. Some also offer RGB input via RCA or twistlok jacks.

Aside from the few bigger LCD's that DO have S-video inputs, is there a custom cabling solution to go from S-video to VGA or RGB? Or is the refresh signal and scanning rates too different?

I see 21" LCD's with thin borders, cool colors, and prices near a grand - from recognized mfrs no less. These puppies have no S-vid inputs (but some do have digital HDTV inputs).

Is there a reasonably affordable solution to feed S-video into "something" and get a usable signal format out to the LCD without compromising picture quality, etc. ?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Okay, nevermind, I found them. They are called "upconverters" and there are scads of them out there at all price points.

NOW, the question is: who makes the best bang for the buck. Application: Inside the cabin of a cruiser. Will be feeding it video from a DSS via S-video, and a VCR/Tuner via RCA video.

There are some available with XGA out for under $100, but there's gotta be some hideous picture quality issues or something with those cheapies, eh?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:17 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Okay, new question.

Brian, you may have a handle on this..

I see zillions of analog LCD's. Many are amazingly inexpensive (for a variety of reasons). Any of the ones I see are D-sub (VGA) input only. Some also offer RGB input via RCA or twistlok jacks.

Aside from the few bigger LCD's that DO have S-video inputs, is there a custom cabling solution to go from S-video to VGA or RGB? Or is the refresh signal and scanning rates too different?

I see 21" LCD's with thin borders, cool colors, and prices near a grand - from recognized mfrs no less. These puppies have no S-vid inputs (but some do have digital HDTV inputs).

Is there a reasonably affordable solution to feed S-video into "something" and get a usable signal format out to the LCD without compromising picture quality, etc. ?

well I dont like scan converters goods ones cost a lot and the
a average ones dont have good picture quality

the brightest monitor I have found that is reasonable priced
is this http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=232003

now if you build a weather proof housing for it it should be ok,
except salt air you would need a coated circuit board for that.
I have Lcd panel I had in the sun it overheated and shutdown
so the operating temps have to be within range.

what type of outputs are you using? I like the 15 pin
I have watched DVD on a 21 inch CAD monitor at 1280x1024
and was impressed with the clearness of the picture

but if you want a 17" for Tv in the cabin the http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=232002

is a good one cause it also has DVI input

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 06-06-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've been using a 15" Macintosh LCD with S-vid inputs for 3 years. Doesn't seem to mind the heat. It's not really in a wet location and I'm not in salt. So far, it works fine but is too dark for daytime viewing unless it's really overcast.

I'm primarily feeding the unit with a DSS receiver, and need to stay within connections that I can feed with a DSS receiver (RCA composite, S-video). Eventually, the HDTV receivers will be cheap and I'll have a new output to be able to use.

The INSIDE unit needs to have "decent" picture quality. It'll be 20 to 30 inch unit, and will be fed with VHS/DVD/DSS. This means that I'll need to be able to use S-vid for it as well. No need for brightness in excess of normal for that unit.

The $100 upconverters will accept RCA, S-vid, and 15-pin D-Sub, and will convert up to XGA (D-sub is simply pass-thru). I figure cheapos will have hideous picture quality but I guess I need to find somebody who has used one..

If it's going to remain a hassle to find what I need reasonably, then next year will bring more tech and lower prices...

Tis life with technology.