Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anybody notice the new trend - CC Outboards? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52499-anybody-notice-new-trend-cc-outboards.html)

THEJOKER 06-16-2003 07:21 PM

Anybody notice the new trend - CC Outboards?

After (5) years of spend , spend , spend on I/O - go fast boats , I am turning to the egg beaters and Center Consoles. I think Yamaha is one of the best damn engines anywhere and the affordability / reliability factor is unreal. I am terrified of scratching the 20 grand paint job on the Cig but ease my CC around like a go cart. Anybody else crossing over? BH

MACDAD260 06-16-2003 07:33 PM

I have thought of the same thing. Lots of pluses. No worry about engines freezing in the winter, They don't make a lot of hop up parts so time is not wasted dreaming about making it go faster, If you get caught in the rain, so what, You don't look stupid when fishing, etc. Do they make any that go 60 mph or better. :D

gdfatha 06-16-2003 07:34 PM

I've talked to several dealers the past 2 months and the consensus is: The all wish to sell Mercs since the Yamahas appear never to have to be replaced/repaired..

THEJOKER 06-16-2003 07:52 PM

You beach em - drag a bloody fish in - fresh water - raw water wash down - and yes they will run 70 mph plus with triples - 65 mph w/ twins - Go to the Bahamas and never worry about breaking a drive - go exploring - Gaffrig - bolsters - man I'm getting one soon - and the Top Gun is FOR SALE - BH

Magicfloat 06-16-2003 07:58 PM

We have in stock a yellow Donzi ZF29 with twin Merc 225 Opti's, pretty sexy looking boat with a mini cabin for the couples that like that.65 mph GPS. Twin step hull,killer stereo,makes sense to me. Karen wants to bring it home to run,think I will

tripps 06-16-2003 08:17 PM

Easy answer,have one of each!!! Tripps

Magicfloat 06-16-2003 08:21 PM

That is my kind of reply, we can supply both.:):):)

Magicfloat 06-16-2003 08:33 PM

Mike,what are your thoughts on efi's vs. Optis? I'm getting conflicting opinions.

Jeff 06-16-2003 08:52 PM

Florida guys have had them for years. My dad used to have a 37 Midnight w/4- 200's that ran around 70 through anything. I remember he would pull out a wad that would choke mule to fill it up.(and that was 20 years ago) I think it held like 700 gallons.

tunnelvision 06-16-2003 09:03 PM

GO WITH THE OPTI 225. RUNS ON REG. UNLEADED,THE 250 OPTI MUST USE PREMIUM LIKE THE 3OOX'S.A 34' FOUNTAIN W/TRIPLE 225 OPTI'S GETS AROUND 1.5 MPG AT CRUISE SPEED. I'VE GOT GOT A SMALLER CC (22') , IT IS GREAT TO GO OUT AND NOT WORRY ABOUT ANYONE SPILLING THINGS, AND HAVE ALL THE ROOM YOU'D WANT

Jeff 06-16-2003 09:07 PM

trust me guys you will be sick of them soon as the first person roars by you at you at your 55 mph cruise. Don't let these dealers blow smoke you know where. I had a great friend (now passed away) that had one of the first 33 Concepts with 300 Mercs and I doubt it ran 65 wide open, and for what he paid for it , there are a lot of good boats that used to blow past him, mine included 80mph cruise with that twin big block sound . But I also have a cc with twin Mercs too, it runs 52.

Jeff 06-17-2003 02:57 AM

Right on Mike, your going to miss the excelleration, go with the triples, we always made it home pretty good with even way back with 4,obeees and sometimes a complete lower was missing. You sound strong,keep going: Center consoles are hard landing as a beotch especially when you get past Marco coming home when your standing. (forget the cruising speed) maybe 40 mph. You won't notice till you get home. Call Will he has a nasty CC anyway you want it :cool:

WickedWon 06-17-2003 06:52 AM

Concept 36

I'm flying down to the Concept factory tomorrow ( wed. 18th ), if I think they will lay one up stout enough that I can't break it ( trip. Yamaha 300's) and rig it like a serious sportboat, I'm gonna try and make a deal on two of them for delivery in time for Jerry( LEOPAJM) and I to run them in the FPC run to the Worlds in Nov.
I'm not expecting big speed, hopefully 70+, but my experience with Yamaha is you can "cruise" them at WOT and they could care less. That speed will allow us to run with the majority of the fleet while not worrying about saltwater damage, fuel quality, the draft of staggered 6's or 10,000$ worth of Herings, while screwing around and bar hopping in the Keys.

I'll let ya know,
JD

CigDaze 06-17-2003 07:25 AM

I've been tossing around the idea....It always seems that while I'm busy figuring out how and where to anchor without busting my ass on the slippery deck, #11 Fortress in my hands, those C/C guys are already in the water with a cold one.

Convenience is tops!

Chris288 06-17-2003 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Baja Daze
I've been tossing around the idea....It always seems that while I'm busy figuring out how and where to anchor without busting my ass on the slippery deck, #11 Fortress in my hands, those C/C guys are already in the water with a cold one.

Convenience is tops!

HOW DARE YOU !! isn't this blasphemy or something :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

florida gator 06-17-2003 07:51 AM

I've had 2 CCs before my current Donzi. There are + to both. It's funny this subject was brought up as last night I was telling my wife how I miss having a CC and we can do everything that we currently do +++++ alot more.

Michael Martin 06-17-2003 07:56 AM

I just bought my first I/O as a repair & resale deal. What a pain! The 25 Talon w/ twin 225HO Johnon outboards just goes. We have a 21' Sea Pro "Bay Series" w/ a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke thats a blast . You dont have to do anything to it. If its dirty just hose it down w/ some greased lightning.

Thats the one thing that drove me to a smaller boat as normally i go out by myself & its easier to handle. Easy to load & unload by yourself.

Mike

CigDaze 06-17-2003 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Chris232
HOW DARE YOU !! isn't this blasphemy or something :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D
Blasphemy? Hardly!.....
:D ;)

gdfatha 06-17-2003 08:38 AM

Nizza BEEK Baja:D :D

CigDaze 06-17-2003 08:54 AM

That's a pulpit, to you! :p :D

THEJOKER 06-17-2003 09:20 AM

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

The reason I'm going to the other side is due to the " go fast " manufacturers kept raising their prices. Mercury's 500 efi's / 525's / 575's - Cigarette raises their prices 25% - ETC. These companies have been playing off our "ego's" and our need to go faster. Well the CC Companies have kept their prices in line and the outboards are super dependable. I know a guy that just took delivery of a 42 Cig w/ 6's and I hear he is disappointed w/ the boat. It runs 98 mph - won't idle - takes 100 yards to get on plane , etc - his payment has to be close to 5 grand a month - yea right! Ok now we have to have a ALL CC Poker Run / Rally when we get our boats - BH

Chris288 06-17-2003 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Blasphemy? Hardly!.....
:D ;)

I'll be the JUDGE OF THAT !! :p :p :p

Hey Nicky,, when I want your opinion, I'll give it to ya !! :D :D

BLee 06-17-2003 11:01 AM

Weve been looking a some Intrepid's lately to keep at the Florida place. They are very nice. The Cig will be back in probably November but like Joker said, you can hose out everything in a good old CC.

CigDaze 06-17-2003 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Chris232
I'll be the JUDGE OF THAT !! :p :p :p

Hey Nicky,, when I want your opinion, I'll give it to ya !! :D :D

:D

OG Outlaw 24 06-17-2003 11:35 AM

Here's a cool Center Console I/O

Link to CC

http://www.xcomxbl.com/ebay/100-0027_IMG.JPG
http://www.xcomxbl.com/ebay/100-0066_IMG.JPG

OG:cool:

dkwestern 06-17-2003 12:43 PM

Center consoles aside, I have outboards on my 33' sportdeck and have a lot more cockpit room than i/o's. I also get comparable speed to i/o Powerplay's with tons more power. There are benefits to both sides, but many of us don't go 100m.p.h. all day long, I for 1 like to run hard, then tie up and have a few cold beers and enjoy the lovely bikinis and scenery. That is where the extra room is nice. If I only ran poker runs then I would get two rows of bolsters without a back seat and big blower motors, but that is just reasonable for what I do. If I wanted to mostly party, which may be the case way down the road when I get older, I would definitely get a center console and pack it full of babes and beer. just depends on "what floats your boat"

JGB 06-17-2003 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I joined the performance CC crowd also. Actually my friend and I are expecting to take delivery of our Renegade 29 CCs at the end of July and early august. I changed my mind on the power and I am going with twin 225 Optis. The boat has a 300 gal fuel cell and with that power I expect to get some serious range and fuel efficiency out this boat. also , I am not going with the flashy S. Florida graphics but with a classic yellow stripe with blue outline.
You really can't beat the low maintainance aspects of this style boat. I can't wait to take delivery.

Man I am pumped!!

Jim

JGB 06-17-2003 03:47 PM

Hi Mike how have you been?

I went with the twin 225 optis because my cousin who has been running them for the past 3 years on his 32 Thunder kingfisher cat swears by them. I heard the 250 efis were a lot more thirsty for only an increase in a total of 50 hp. So on my boat I sacrificed 1-3 mph in top the top end for better fuel efficiency. We do plan on doing some major runs all over FLorida and the range with the optis can't be touched other than by a diesel.

Man, the anticipation is killing me. Can't wait to cruise!

Talk to you soon,

Jim

fountain1fan 06-17-2003 04:35 PM

just think 15min hoseing the cc out and you are done put it on the hydohost and forget it no carpet to keep kleen i love mine

cuda 06-17-2003 06:25 PM

It's just a sign of getting too old! Kind of like when a surfer trades in his stick for a sailboard.:)

cuda 06-17-2003 06:28 PM

HOWEVER, Sunday we were going out in the Formula. Test fired engine #!, all's good. Test fire engine #2, starter just clicks. We were to meet some people on the water, so instead of standing them up, I just backed up to "Old Reliable", my Biddison CC, and went on out. It is nice to have one that you KNOW will run each and everytime.

cuda 06-17-2003 06:30 PM

Sunday we were anchored up next to a 31 Contender with twin 250's. He said his top speed was 61, and it held 300 gallons of fuel.

cuda 06-17-2003 06:36 PM

Originally posted by fountain1fan
just think 15min hoseing the cc out and you are done put it on the hydohost and forget it no carpet to keep kleen i love mine
Hey, you can just hose out an offshore boat too if you don't give a damn about what it looks like. Isn't that some of what this type of boating is about? Having the sweet sounding hardware with everything glistening? I agree there are a lot more things you can do in a CC, but you can also do more things in a Pontiac Aztec than a Porsche. Which would you rather have? I watched them build my CC back in 1988, and I have done everything to do with this boat, and I would never sell it. I'll tell you one thing it won't do that my 17 year old Formula does, that is turn heads.

Donzi Corleone 06-17-2003 06:56 PM

I`m hearing the same talk in my Boat Club about movin to O/B power because of reliability,cost and less headaches. I just bought my Spectre with twin 300x Promaxs and everytime I think of the cost factor that those 500`s were going to be (servicing)I`m glad I made the choice. If you have real deep pockets go with the big blocks cause when the drives or race parts break it is big $$$$$$$$$ and you are lucky enough to afford that luxury. The sound I will miss,but when I`m runnin with the others all I care about is being up near the front with the heavy hitters at alot less the cost.

JGB 06-17-2003 07:21 PM

Hi Mike, We should get together for dinner sometime.

It was $3500 more for the optis. But for the 1-3 mph top-end speed loss and what I pay upfront I hope to realize even bigger savings in fuel conumption over the life of the engines/boat.

I think if I were in your shoes I would be biting the bullet on the high octane fuel powered 250 opti or 300 promax. I would still rather stay with twins instead of the tripletts. Have you read this Merc PR?

http://www.screamandfly.com/home/pre...3/5_8_2003.htm

Talk to you soon

Jim

Madcow 06-17-2003 07:21 PM

My Sonic is kinda for sale, and if I sell it I'm gonna get one. The big 42 is a VERY cool boat, but I am tired of wrenching and cleaning all the time, and $200 to $300 worth of fuel every time I go out is getting REAL old.

LEOPAJM 06-17-2003 07:44 PM

Madcow.....

Hey Jim ..... I'm bringin my Scarab 302 cc up in about a week .... You're gonna have to check it out .... Are you coming over to Mentor in July .... It's gonna be a good one .... I'll be sending the info out in a few days !!!!!!!

JM

JGB 06-17-2003 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of what I leaning towards for graphics (vinyl). Simple, classic, conservative... Man I must be getting old! LOL

Jersey Tom 06-17-2003 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a 36 Concept for all the reasons already mentioned. It looks great, handles rough water well and I just hose it off and push the remote button on the lift. It has twin 250EFI's and does 62.2 on GPS. No more bildge crawling for me.

Jersey Tom 06-17-2003 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic.