Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hawk power, searace, Todd & what ever else he is know calling his company. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52719-hawk-power-searace-todd-what-ever-else-he-know-calling-his-company.html)

Rforsey 06-19-2003 08:01 AM

Hawk power, searace, Todd & what ever else he is know calling his company.

Any one out there have any input on Mr Todd...
I bought an engine from him, he never thought we would have it bubbled and dyno tested... It was a piece of sh##.
Am I hold My hand on my A** in hopes of actually getting my money back?..

Yes Todd, I am here!!!. want to get rid of me then my bank acc needs read more $$$$. Times up!!!

Live by the web, DIE BY THE WEB!!!.

dockrocker 06-19-2003 08:31 AM

OK, who's got the popcorn? This thread looks to have potential!

--------

All kidding aside, Rforsey, if you've got a beef with someone here on the boards, I think you'll find it more effective to lay out the facts as you see them, rather than make some vague accusations on your first post.

Something like this might be more effective:

In May of this past year, I bought an engine from XYZ Marine. Their advertisement claimed 600 hp. After paying for the motor, we installed it but never saw the performance we expected. Numerous calls to XYZ produced no results, so we pulled the motor and put it on the dyno. Instead of 600 hp, it was making only 400 - less than a stock HP500. I've tried repeatedly to contact XYZ, but have had no success.

Etc, etc.
Obviously, my blurb above was fictional, but I think you might get a better reception if you presented your case in a similar manner. The board has a long history of beating poor vendors with a stick (and an equally long history of being merciless on those who cry wolf). Not making judgements, but when you're accusing folks of ripping you off, you might want to provide a bit more information.

As always, YMMV....

outer42 06-19-2003 08:37 AM

dockrocker for board police chief,very well put mr rocker!!!!

Shane 06-19-2003 08:42 AM

Originally posted by outer42
dockrocker for board police chief,very well put mr rocker!!!!
ditto! Let's hear the whole story. This is a great place to share your experiences both positive and negative ones. It helps us all make wiser choices down the road. Please keep it factual!

Rforsey 06-19-2003 08:46 AM

Okay, DockRocker
I Got It
I was tring not to let all the dirt out just yet, lets just say, because of what it took to get the engine here we took it straight to a pro shop for testing, the start was missing gaskets, OH I could GO further... I am just so sick of so called pro's out here
who don't stand by what they advertise... And it actually hurts the ones who are real.

Ron P 06-19-2003 08:47 AM

If you want to make this guy squirm, supply all the details.

dockrocker 06-19-2003 08:51 AM

The way I see it, we all spent way too much money on this sport -even little guys like me. Now, there are certain board members that have cubic dollars, and a bad motor or too may not matter to them (and certain members never get their boats wet anyhow, but that's a different thread ;) ).

But for most of us, the great strength of OSO is the ability to share experiences both good and bad. A certain engine builder in Missouri comes to mind; yes, a couple people lost some big bucks for work not done, but now the guy is out of business and on the run. I feel bad for the guys that got screwed, but I'm betting there are a lot of folks out there that didn't get the shaft due in large part to the ability of OSO to get the word out.

The door swings the other way as well - look at companies like Whipple, Simreck, Doller, etc - I'd guess the good word-of-keyboard they got through OSO helped make a sale or two.

But much like a court or arbitration, for the board to work, the details have to be known.

BLee 06-19-2003 08:55 AM

THIS is going to be a hot thread!

dockrocker 06-19-2003 09:05 AM

Rforsey,

Believe me, we understand. I don't know how long you've been on the board (obviously, this is your first post, but you might have been a lurker for a while), but I think you'll find that this community definitely supports each other. But when your first post is a pretty strong accusation of wrongdoing by a big name company, it tends to raise some doubt about your motives. Not saying you're a bad guy, or that you're lying through your teeth, or anything like that, just trying to give you the "lay of the land."

There seems to be a few subjects that bring out "one-post wonders", people that register, start some ****, then disappear. A lot of APBA threads see this sort of thing; a while back, we saw the same thing about Active Thunder. So, when folks read your initial post, then look and see it's your first one, they're going to have a little doubt in the back of your mind. :)

Like Ron P said, tell your full story and you may be surprised at the support. A couple of true stories (and I apologize if you've been around and have read these): a while back, a member bought a boat from a fairly big name dealer. The boat turned out to be something other than what was represented. The member made good faith efforts to resolve the situation with the dealer, to no avail. He finally posted his story here, and the dealer was inundated with phone calls, e-mails, and faxes from OSO members. The member and the dealer eventually reached an equitable settlement, and the results were published here. That turned out to be good for the dealer.

Another member had some difficulties with a big name manufacturer regarding some warranty work. Again, the details were posted here on OSO, and the members expressed their feelings to the manufacturer. Eventually, the problems were resolved, but the builder got a pretty good black eye around here, and I'm sure it cost him a sale or two.

So, you might find some help here on the board. Good luck getting your issue resolved... and welcome to OSO! :)

Airpacker 06-19-2003 09:09 AM

Lets start with what the vendor claimed you were getting and what you actually got. Did the dyno numbers fall short of expectations? Did the engine fail on the dyno? Is this a major problem or just a minor one that you can't get remedied by the vendor? The motor is a piec of **** just doesn't cut the mustard around here. We need details of the situation so that we may prevent ourselves from making the same descision that you did. Please enlighten the board as to what EXACTLY is your problem.
Thanks.

BLee 06-19-2003 09:14 AM

When Todd shows up he's gonna throw a rod. I am just looking in the "users browsing" for searace to appear. :D

Frequency 06-19-2003 09:31 AM

My crystal ball tells me Todd won't touch this thread. Besides, he's too busy building my motors to spend time on OSO. I'll have them before long and will share all the details. My experience to date has been very positive. :)

Rforsey 06-19-2003 09:47 AM

Rough crew,

I have tried to work this out, with the start being," Oh you don't have that engine yet..." and then I lost the engine... and then It was shipped to my other store in Maimi.." What was thought to be a 540 Bulldog, 575 Hp Totally Freshed Zero hours turned into a Painted engine that looked like it came from the boneyard.
Parts bolted on engine, seapump, altinator ect had 1/2" washers for spacers, Distribtor was missing 2 out of 4 Screws and the 2 on it where rusted, dyno test when fuel was put to engine it poured out all over, no rear gasket, front gasket ripped and base gasket ripped.

after fueling the engine and tring to get the skip out everytime they did a pull test on the dyno excessive blowby would push the dipstick out. The Proshop tried everything including another carb to tune the engine Egts on every test indicated motor would not last 1 Day in boat with out melt down....

There is more to this, story but when on Monday I was told I would have my Money Back and now its Thursday and Yesterday I was told Todd Is to Busy to Talk to me, I tend to get pissed,

now I understand if Todd say's he fired his machanic, or he has had a major company change. We produced the engine test sheets to him and have given him lots of time to return our money

Maybe this was just a bad break for him and he truely didnot know what was leaving his shop, but then again there are alot of maybe's out there,

Todd has my number but dosn't feel I am worth a call and that if he keeps given me a reason why he has not wired my money that I'll Just let it go and say " okay honey when ever you can send me my money." Sorry Todd, I'm not that person

lucy 06-19-2003 10:00 AM

you would cry too if it happened to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucy 06-19-2003 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lets diggg out all the facts.

SLINGSHOT 06-19-2003 10:07 AM

so you bought a used motor that was freshened up by todd?

Ryan Beckley 06-19-2003 10:32 AM

Friends of mine just TRADED Todd for some NEW motors and when they showed up MONTHS LATE they needed to go to another shop for $16,000.00 more work so they would run. FACT!!!!!!

open87 06-19-2003 10:36 AM

please pass the butter:D

lucy 06-19-2003 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
now we are getting down to the nitti gritty. [nothing to do with frank nitti] .

buckknekkid 06-19-2003 10:38 AM

Im going out for redenbachers

I think the local authorities might be interested in something like this.:fish: :fish:

Rforsey 06-19-2003 10:57 AM

Ryan,

Thank You for your info, I have just upgraded my membership, why can't I view attachments...

And I have be in touch with local police they are calling for me to go further, I just want my $$$ back so I don't have a whole season lost on the water.

dockrocker 06-19-2003 11:00 AM

Rforsey, it usually takes a day or so for the membership to be processed (if I remember correctly)

Ron P 06-19-2003 11:14 AM

Sound like someone forgot the "freshen up" part. Was it at least the right cubic inches? Was it in fact a bulldog?

I'd be PISSED too.

Believe me, this thread will cost him a ton of money if he doesn't clear this up quickly and to your satifaction.

Did he mail you anything in the US mail representing the product he was selling you? Mail fraud is an ugly thing.

Get the cops involved and go after getting your money back with both barrels. Also a paper trail is needed. Send him a certified letter every day stating the facts of what he said and what you found. Also include a resolution that you will accept.

After a week of letter writing, have your lawyer call him for one last chance before you start to litigate.

Keep us informed as many OSO members will also put the pressure on him to MAKE IT RIGHT.

lucy 06-19-2003 11:16 AM

rap on dude!

Rforsey 06-19-2003 11:28 AM

Ron P,
It did bubble at over 512 cubic inches, so chances are it is a 540 just a very sick 540.
I have an e-mail from him before we bought the motor with a picture of what was suppose to be the motor, what we got in noway is that same picture. also I have sent him a letter, faxes and e-mail, even 2 days again I sent him a private message from here. he just keeps trying to stall me.

Thank you for all your advice I will follow up with your suggestions
and keep you posted.

Dredgeking 06-19-2003 12:07 PM

derebery marine on lake texoma did a similar thing to me when they rebuilt my engine last year. i don't trust anyone any more.

Rforsey 06-19-2003 12:08 PM

I just tried to reach Mr. Todd, and it seems he's not in, but he did get my messages to call me, so I told Joyce to have him look OSO
and maybe he might have interest in the ongoing discussion,

Let's see what happen's next.

SLINGSHOT 06-19-2003 12:12 PM

make the personal touch it works better:)

X-Rated30 06-19-2003 12:16 PM

Munch, munch, munch.:D Sombody pass me a beer.:D

Ron P 06-19-2003 12:40 PM

All that correspondance is great but it's worthless in court. You can't prove he read it. Send CERTIFIED LETTERS!!!!! Return reciept requested.

later 06-19-2003 12:45 PM

why do the same names keep surfacing around controversy?

later

Frequency 06-19-2003 12:51 PM

later,

Easy answer - two parts:

1. It's Offshore Performance Boating

2. This is OSO

:(

Sean 06-19-2003 01:00 PM

Frequency...i think there's just one more element you're missing...

dockrocker 06-19-2003 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
Munch, munch, munch.:D Sombody pass me a beer.:D
KS30, here ya go!

birdog 06-19-2003 01:08 PM

I,for one have alot of respect for Ryan Beckley...........
Best of luck to ya Rforsey.......This kinda stuff sucks !!!
This sport sure brings out the Bottom feeders! I guess they see
big bucks in screwing boaters......

Madmax 06-19-2003 01:13 PM

His ad on Offshoreonly said 575hp and 6 month warantee. It's still posted in the classifieds. Would this help?

THEJOKER 06-19-2003 01:26 PM

yep

I agree about the high performace stuff. I've been screwed by several " high performance companies" ! They wait till we come along and WHAMMO! I'm not the ass some of you think I am but damn before I got into the high performace stuff I had never been screwed on a boat deal. BEWARE of these bottom feeders! BH

THEJOKER 06-19-2003 01:28 PM

I wasn't referring to Hawk - no experience w/ them - BH

Rforsey 06-19-2003 01:48 PM

Madmax,
I have printed his whole web site, he leaves that ad up, Maybe he has more then 1 or he lets people think there's only one I better act fast,
Thanks for the look up
Maybe my temper is getting the best of me...
Hopefully Searace will work this out with me and we all can go blow off some smoke on the water!!!

One good thing this Sunday we got beat by another boat on the water, turn out he and his wife wanted to meet us, we both bought homes on the lake last year. they seem like great people and we snowmobile at the same place in Canada.

buckknekkid 06-19-2003 02:26 PM

seems like this has happened before somewhere

[QUOTE]Originally posted by searace
[ By the way, I have My PA in Emregency Pediatrics and a Masters in Naval Architecture from Florida Atlantic University... Education is a wonderful thing Curtis...you should try it some time

funny this reply just came from FAU.............

I have your inquiry regarding a naval architecture program at FAU. I have contacted three departments - Ocean Engineering, Architecture (a 5-year bachelor's degree program) and Civil Engineering, and they tell me we don't have naval architecture. Ocean Engineering did say they have courses in Structures, Materials and Hydro-Mechanics, but they are all part of their master's degree.

I hope this helps.

Joann Arlington
Graduate Admissions
Florida Atlantic University:fish: :fish: