Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick) >

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Notices

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Old 06-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Steve_H

Default Re: Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Originally posted by Little Tommy
Mr. DNR told us in no uncertain words " We do not want you kind of boates on our water. Our job will be done when you are no longer here" Can you friggin beleive this????? the DNR here think that they are above the almighty and certainly have the attitude to go along with it.
hmmm , to bad you dont have a recording of his words.
bet the judge wouldnt care for his attitude either.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea hp500efi. I'm not from or anywhere near WI but if you guys need me to write a letter to a state rep or something let me know. Strength in numbers.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Registered

This needs to Stop. I think that performance boats do more for local business than any others boaters. As we all know the APBA had a race planed for Wisconsin in Aug. which will bring in tons of money for the area. So maybe we need to boycott that race and be sure to let the local business and DNR know why.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:15 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by lucy
does all this noise crap apply to race boats?
Probably not Lucy, but then they will be looking for a race test permit....
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Hydro Power

I think that I can help you. We make a silencing system that will get the db level down and you don't have to sacrifice any performance. give us a call 1-866-843-1900 ask for Dan
and I will give you a discount.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

To give you all an update, I have done alot of digging today. I received a response back from Russ Feingold, our state senator. He refered me to work with our state reps, Ted Kanavas and Scott Jensen. I have put calls in to both of them, and their secretaries assure me that I will receive a call back from them. Our past governor, Tommy Thompson, was not a DNR lover (off the record) and hopefully neither is Doyle.
It was recommended that we get as many signatures as possible to pass on to the Governor. I will be in contact with numerous powerboat clubs in this area to organize a petition drive. I have been in contact today with several people that live in the Fondulac/Oshkosh area, and are supporting us in anyway they can. Restaurant and business owners are extremly concerned about this problem. We the powerboaters bring in alot of revenue for them. There is a meeting scheduled this summer with a powerboat club in that area that is fighting against the DNR regarding the noise levels, but it is going to take all of us as a team to resolve this issue.
What I am trying to fight for all of us, is to be able to abide by the Ferderal Decible Law, not the state. Let's face it, we are going to have to abide to the Federal Decible Law, but what is with all these states making up their own law on decible levels?????
And last, but not least, I am sick and friggin tired of people telling me that we are powerless against the DNR. BULL****. For God sake, this is AMERICA- not some communist country. We all have to take a stance and get this resolved.
Little Tommy home 1-262-827-8827
cell 1-414-349-8567
Old 06-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Registered

LIttle Tommy I'm all for the Petition Drive. I think we should get things organized with Mark(Oshkosh Thunder). He lives in Oshkosh and runs the Oshkosh Thunder run. Also knows alot of people up there.

HP, there was a warden that had a fountain stopped, I came around the corner into the No Wake Zone at least 300 ft from him, I saw him pick up his vhf and he called ahead. Then two other Wardens gave me the test. First reading was 89.8, 2nd90.2, and 3rd 90.3.

Does anyone know what the db reading would be for open exhaust with no mufflers on a 502?
Old 06-25-2003, 01:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Gezz Ron if your boat is that loud what the hell must mine be. I never put my mufflers on and I guess i was lucky that day. You didn't tell me you got a ticket. Your bhoat sounds so sweet with the exhaust running thru the swim platform like that. A low soft rumble.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:57 AM
Mr. Demeanor

Its pretty simple folks, performance boaters are a tiny part of a small group (boaters). Most people move near the water to enjoy nature and they don't want to hear big blocks with open pipes all day. I sense I'm about to piss some of you off but hear it goes anyway.
These boats can be quite and still go fast.
Allot of problems are caused by the "Look at me" types who insist on running their thru hulls idling around docks, marinas, residential areas, etc. As if floating along in a big phallic symbol covered in wild paint weren't enough.
Maybe I can sympathize somewhat because I live near a somewhat busy road and I get woke up or disturbed every friggen day by somebody on a Harley with straight pipes.
Unfortunately, people aren't capable of policing themselves and when enough complaints from residents have been heard, somebody is going to start enforcement.
You can point your fingers at the environmentalists, DNR, etc. all day long but it wont do nearly as much as a little self imposed restraint and common sense. These noise regs are here to stay. Try explaining to the average person why you need to run wide open 4" un-muffled exhausts and I think you'll see what we're up against. We either have to adapt or risk losing further access to waterways. And please don't tell me that loud pipes save lives.

Old 06-25-2003, 06:03 AM
Registered

Mr.Demeanor, just for the record, I have Silent Thunder Exhaust from formula, not 4inch open exhaust. Had I been going through the no wake zone the warden would not have given me a second look, but they had another warden sitting before the no wake zone calling ahead every time a performance boat came in.

One other note, I was on the wolf river last year and they were checking boats as they idled by, warden was no more than 50ft from me with a db meter in his hand and never gave me a second glance.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.