Like Tree1Likes

baja vs. scarab?

Old 06-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Extreme 29

Personaly, I would pick an early model Baja over the Scarab. I beleive the Baja's had more deadrise than the Scarab's.

PhantomCaos - Nice video !!! But the guy should have drove out the chine in that boat.....Wardey
Old 06-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Extreme 29

I would take the Pantera without a second thought. Wardey
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 25 Hustler Cat 600HP w/BlackHawk Drive

Chine walk is when the boat is at or close to top speed, when all that is in the water is the prop and the last (2) or so feet of the boat and the craft starts listing to Port and Starboard. Severe conditions of chine walk is wnen the boat lists to Port and Starrboard violently, thus creating the effect of the boat 'walking' from the left to the right. It creates a dangerous conditon that an un-experienced boater may not be able to handle. Most boat manufacturers will not over power a boat because of this situation. You are looking at a Baja and a Scarab. I am going to go out on a limb to say that the Baja that you are looking at buying will chine walk if you have it trimmed out too far, but it will be pretty hard to make the Scarab with a 8' 6" beam walk at all. And even though the Baja is a lighter hull, it will not run faster than the Scarab. Anyone out there, please feel free to comment on this...
Old 06-25-2003, 11:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Phantom,

NICE display of chine walk. You really redefined the meaning of 'Walk the walk' !!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scarab has 23 degree or better deadrise depending on the year, which is pretty deep for a 22 footer...
Old 06-26-2003, 12:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988

I love Scarabs. Worked for the local Scarab dealer when I was a kid and have been around them since the early 80's when the KV's were the SH!T (still love the KV's). However I own a Baja. I run my 24 Baja with my buddy who runs his 38 Scarab in the Pacific Ocean on a regular basis. for some reason people like to bash Baja but it is one hell of a boat and slowly it seems to be earning the respect it deserves. I offer a couple of humle opinions:

-Both are great boats, however I would go with the newer Baja than an older Scarab. Less hours is better, newer boat is better.

-The 454L (carburated) and the EFI 454 are great motors and will push both those boats right at or a little over 60MPH. I had 300 hours on my 454 before I upgrated and it ran flawless. It now belongs to another board member who threw it in his boat and as far as I know it still is running strong.

-Both boat companies are owned by the parent boat company Brunswick, so I would say quality control is the same in both plants. However, I do not know the layup differences between the two.

-The statement "Larry smith has a watchfull eye on the scarab line" is completely false. He lives about 30 minutes from me and has nothing to do with the smaller line of scarabs, or the larger production scarabs for that matter. He leased/sold the name "Scarab" to Wellcraft a long time ago. He works on one off "Larry Smith Scarabs" to this day.

-both boats should have a 21 degree hull. Fine for river/lake running.

-I believe the 22 scarab is measured from swim step to bow. The Baja is measured by the V not including the step. (If someone can correct me on this please feel free).

-Just in case you didn't know. Scarab (Besides limited edition "Larry Smith Scarabs") are no longer in production.

And one last thing on chine walk. In my experience if you trim out any V bottom boat (under 29 feet)too far and have good power to it in a cross wake or confused sea's situation you will see chine walk.

My .02

And just like Oshkoshthunder...Anyone that wishes to comment on this feel free.

Tank

Last edited by thisistank; 06-26-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Registered

My Boats: Warlock 27WC F1-36

Scarab! Better construction and handling.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 Powerquest Legend

I owned a 1985 Scarab 1 which I bought in 1990, Nice lines and fast but not built very well! I'd never own another one after taht. Lots of stress cracks and always needed a screw driver in your pocket to tighten things back up. Baja's put togeather a pretty nice ride but have always heard there a hand full at W.O.T. Than again anything with speed in that size you need to be careful. We just got back into boating last year and bought a Powerquest. Not the fastest thing on the water but what a well built solid boat. Now I just need a larger one.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Registered

BAJA all the way....there is no comparison. I was doing the exact same thing you were before I bought my Hammer. I was trying to compare the 2 so I did just that. And just to add another comment.....the 22 Scarab will chine walk just as much as the Baja...I've ridden in both. Here's what I compared....and keep in mind these are my opinions.

Exterior - The Scarab looked cheap to me.....plus the Scarab looks real small when compared to the Baja. The graphics and stuff are much better on the Baja also.

Interior - Baja wins this hands down. All you have to do is look at both of them and you'll see why. I had always looked at exterior photo's of the Scarab and when I finally saw the interior...that sealed the deal for me.....the Scarab was out.

Performance - Both should have the 454 engine...some come with 350's but don't go that route. I got lucky and found a Boss Hammer which has the 454 mag motor......extra hp. Some scarab's have the exact same thing. I have not run a Scarab yet....but I have seen a Hammer and Scarab go at it, both with 454 mag's, the Hammer walked off the Scarab. Now keep in mind I have no idea what props, etc, etc...I just happened to watch it one weekend while boating.

Comparing the 2 boats that you have listed.....get the Baja. 98 with 70 hours for 19.5K is a good deal. A 95 Scarab with 200 hours for 18K is too much...I've seen cheaper on many boat sites for newer models.

Bottom line......compare the 2 boats and see which one you'll be the happiest with. Don't just get one because one's a mag motor and one's not......get a boat that you'll like and that you'll enjoy the most. This might be the Scarab in your book and thats fine......at least you'll be happy. The Baja's are just sharp looking boats and I'm hoping one day to make a purchase on a big Outlaw now we're talkin'.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Registered

TANK - And one last thing on chine walk. In my experience if you trim out any V bottom boat (under 29 feet)too far and have good power to it in a cross wake or confused sea's situation you will see chine walk.

I couldn't agree more. The video is proof. Saying that the Baja will chine walk more is just false......both will do it and thats a fact.