Do Not Call

Old 06-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have way to much fun with these guys...couldnt have them not calling
Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Allan4

I hear ya.....!!

I like to ask them how much $ THEY had donated to this certain cause. That usually gets puzzled remarks or silence, especially when I start regergitating their own sales pitch right back at them. It's hilarious....

They usually just hang up

Old 06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

I heard on the radio that the site is getting more thatn 1000 hits per second. Hang tight if you cannot get in.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by bobby daniels
Check this out, its of the US government web.

Scam Artists Use Do Not Call Registry to Commit Fraud - Scam artists capitalizing on the popularity of existing state "Do Not Call" lists and the proposed FTC "Do Not Call" registry have devised yet another method to trick consumers into giving up personal information, such as their Social Security number, bank account number, credit card number or telephone calling card number.

Here's how the scam works: someone calls you claiming to represent a "Do Not Call" registry or the FTC. The phony registry "official" asks for your personal information, supposedly to verify that you are on the "Do Not Call" list. The caller is a con artist who could use your personal information to run up debts in your name or otherwise steal your identity. Once a consumer signs up with a state's actual "Do Not Call" registry, there is no need to confirm personal information.
This is NOT a hoax. It's the real deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jun27.html
Old 06-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got in okay, but still haven't gotten the confirming emails.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nick,

i think what bobby is trying to say is that while the donotcall.gov is real, there are aparently some scammers calling unsuspecting individuals saying they are from the donotcall org or the FTC...that is the fraud outlined above...

sean
Old 06-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Sean,
Exactly, this has been around for a while. Someone calls you, says they are with such and such, or the gov't, and for $20 bucks, all of the numbers you give them can be removed from "the list". Actually they are COMPRISING a list of all the phone numbers you give them, to be SOLD to more telemarketers. Then, of course, they have your CC info. You are forked coming, and forked going.

This whole real deal thing with www.donotcall.gov is creating QUITE a buzz in the DC area on radio and newspaper today. The Telemarketers are being forced by the Fair Trade Commision to BUY this list, and institute it, essentially being forced to reduce their customer base. If this were any other industry, it would be in the US Supreme Court tomorrow. It still may be.

Get this too... any organization you have done business with in the last 18 months can still call you if you are on the list. So can polsters, AND politicians solicting for money, as well as all charities.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-27-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sean,
Ya, no problemo there, I just didn't want anyone getting scared away from the real thing, thinking it may be a scam...know what I mean?
Old 06-27-2003, 03:11 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Eight tries..finally got through..Awating confirmation---I will not provide them (anyone) with more info if they call me...

Thanks..
Old 06-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

Would be nice! Except its server must be overloaded! I have been trying all day.

Quick Reply: Do Not Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.