Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
38 Lightning Flips on Winni >

38 Lightning Flips on Winni

Notices

38 Lightning Flips on Winni

Old 07-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Mad Hatter

*takes chill pill*.................Hmm. Better.........

Famous last words of a redneck "Hey! Watch this!"

Or this is what that guy was thinking just before he did it "If Jeff Gordon can do it in a car..........."

Old 07-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah...the usual last words of a redneck are "Hold my beer and watch this."
Old 07-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anybody notice that the newspaper listed this as a new $120,000 speedboat. If anybody knows where I can get a new $120,000 38 Fountain please let the rest of us know. I will kindly take all you can get your hands on.

Steps or no steps, you act like an ass-you pay the price.

Mike
Old 07-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Its $120K now.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Troutly
Sorry, I got off topic.....let me get back on topic.....step hull boats are death traps. We should ban them all and go back to birch bark canoes!!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to be so late on this, but after reading the whole thread, I may have something interesting to add.

1) The idiot named this boat Brew Crew. On lake Winni, that is asking for trouble with marine patrol right off the bat

2) He supposedly ordered another new fountain 2 weeks after the accident. Another case of more money than brains

3) That boat is junk. I have seen it in person and will try to find my pictures of it. It went under running, both 525's are locked, both drives and gimbles are broken, deck is split from hull past the windshield. Both motors have pulled from stringers

4) Now with that info, the idiot claimed he was going 45 at the time. The guys at Silver Sands are thinking more like 70

5) I went for a ride with Bob Gagnon for the delivery ride on my brother and laws 35 Executioner. He was VERY specific on how to turn a stepped bottom boat and preached caution more than anything else on the ride. This was more than two weeks before the crash. Although I have had my own issues with Silver Sands in the past, I think they are very good at trying to educate a buyer of a stepped bottom boat.

I really think this was a case of stupid driveritis. It happened on a sunny Saturday afternoon on Winni which means it was both very busy and very rough. Hopefully the guy has learned his lesson, but again, money does not buy you brains

Matt
Old 08-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Registered

Question. Is there any location that has a school or training facility for people who want to learn how to drive go-fast boats better. I can think of several driving schools for cars but can not think of one for boats. As in my case, I did not buy my boat new. There was no dealer lesson on how to drive fast in a safe manner. Maybe it could be a good, profitable, idea for somebody who has the experience to start a school. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:16 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by RollWithIt
Is there any location that has a school or training facility for people who want to learn how to drive go-fast boats better?
Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Registered

AA

This guy was more than likely a few cuckoo's short of a full box of cocoa puffs but I do have one question. I studied the dynamics of turning the props out vs in when one of my boats was exhibiting an odd handling characteristic and realized that the IN turning props would actually HELP the boat to roll if it was put in a situation where it was leaning to the outside under power.

I just serviced a brand new 2004 38 Fountain with twin 525's and it had the props turning IN. What's up with that.

I also agree with the traffic problems on Lake Winne. When I was back there a couple of years ago, the SUV traffic was terrible. Silver Sands did have some nice Fountains though.
Attached Thumbnails 38 Lightning Flips on Winni-lakewinnie03.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Registered

another pic
Attached Thumbnails 38 Lightning Flips on Winni-lakewinnie01.jpg