Old Camaros and Firebirds? >

Old Camaros and Firebirds?

Notices

Old Camaros and Firebirds?

Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Hyperbaja,
Check with your insurance co. if that cost is an issue. American Family automatically doubled rates for the IROC version. That was even for years where the IROC used the same 305as the RS.
I went with an RS convertible.
Gary
Old 07-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
BTW Hyperbaja,
Check with your insurance co. if that cost is an issue. American Family automatically doubled rates for the IROC version. That was even for years where the IROC used the same 305as the RS.
Gary

I was lucky enough to drive on a dealer tag till I was about 19 or 20 and avoid paying for insurance. Dad wasnt too happy about me taking my cars to the dragstrip and racing with his dealer tag on the back. I thought it was cool!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
BTW Hyperbaja,
Gary
Not getting an IROC, the state farm insurance is also 2x as much. For a non IROC TPI it is only 100 more/6mos than the t bird and it is a car i like a bit more.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Buddy of mine has a '68 RS with a 383 Stroker. Mean car (even though it is an auto). Another friend had a '69 Z/28 (a real one, but the 302 had been long gone) with an LT1 350 with a Chevy 2nd design offroad solid lift cam and a 4 speed. JEESH we had fun in that car. It burned to the ground when it caught fire on jack stands and had to be pushed out into the driveway.

Several friends also had fast T/A's and Formulas. SD455's, 455HO's, 400's with Ram Air heads. They were fun too.

As far as butane being used as an AC refrigerant, I'm not sure if it's any more dangerous than 134a. 134a is marked as nonflammable, but will feed an existing fire. It also transforms straight to a toxic acid vapor when in the presence of a fire. R12 was far "safer" to motorists than 134a.

Hindenburg disaster would have been much less of a disaster had it been filled with helium, but the intense heat from the burning of the aluminum-coated canvas fabric it (and the gas bags) was covered with was the reason so many people were incinerated. Had it been hydrogen in nonflammable bags, it would have just made a huge fireball and dropped the passenger compartment onto the ground.

Dang, why am I defending the Hindenburg? I have no vested interest to promote butane as a refrigerant. I just have several older R12 vehicles in my collection and I have found it to be simple, cheap, and effective.

I don't know where I get off talking like a Hindenburg expert. I've only seen the same tv documentary that all of you have seen...
Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:40 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy,

I had a Buick Grand National when I was 16. It was awesome. They are hard to find, but you could step into one easily for your price.
It came with a factory Supercharged V6, and hauled ass. You will smoke lots of Camaro's and TA's.

"Rockets to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and squirts through the quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds at 102 mph"
Attached Thumbnails Old Camaros and Firebirds?-grand-national.jpg  

Last edited by PokerRunGunT/S; 07-16-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the engine. It was an extremely popular car and they were limited.

Click here for all you want to know about them.
Attached Thumbnails Old Camaros and Firebirds?-grand-national-engine.jpg  
Old 07-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Registered

mcollinstn
No more Discovery Channel for you.
Gary
Old 07-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 524 Posts

Cig 28/38...
How lucky were you to have a GN at 16? I would have wiped myself out at that age with that car.

The pics and link you posted are of the GNX though. The GNX was one step past the GN, faster/quicker than the GN, as it has an Intercooler for the Turbo. Also, much more rare and expensive than the GN. My boss at the dealer had a GNX, and it was the cat's ass. He did not even let his wife drive it, much less any of us. He also had a 1990 454SS pickup. That thing was a nice ride too.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Registered

If you had an actual GNX, you gave up a very rare car worth big bucks now! There were only 547 produced! Check out the Grand Nationals on EBAY. Usually there is a GNX or 2 on there. Ive seen them bring close to $40,000!

Here is a current one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6137

Over $30,000 and reserve not met!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: Here's the REAL Camaro

Originally posted by R Addiction
Nice Chuck!!! Big Mark Donohue fan. Friends with his son Dave.
Then we have a mutual friend. Go here , and then you MUST go to Watkins Glen on September 5-7 for the MD tribute. Dianne and I are going up on Labor Day Weekend and taking the BatBoat with us for a week of boating and winery visits on the Finger Lakes. Then it's on the the Glen and (maybe) a ride in a 917/30. (Never been in anything with 21" wide rear tires before....) I can't believe that those cars are now 30 years old.

Quick Reply: Old Camaros and Firebirds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.