Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Old Camaros and Firebirds? >

Old Camaros and Firebirds?

Notices

Old Camaros and Firebirds?

Old 11-30-2003, 04:05 PM
boosted6

first of all, i know i'm a little late but i had to do this to set you guys strait. i basically just joined this forum to correct a couple things that have been said. The GNX you speak of, they are ALL turbo and intercooled. The regular Grand National for 86-87 was also turbo AND intercooled. the GNX wasn't the only one with an intercooler. The GNX was made faster by improving the intercooler and turbo parts as well as some other mods done throughout the car. like i said, intercooling was only in 86 and 87 models. before that they were what we (buick guys) call hot-air cars since they were not intercooled hence the "hot-air", so the 86 and 87's were/are the most desired. i happen to own an 87 GN (not GNX~i WISH). anyways, if you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or go to gnttype.org or turbobuicks.com or turbobuick.com (note the "S" on one of those). i don't know if i'll really be coming back here because i don't have a boat, but i would like one maybe with a uhhhhhhhhh grand national engine in it??? hehe. but cars are my passion and i don't really have time to come here all the time. BTW, i'm boosted6 on turbobuicks.com and 87boosted6 on turbobuicks.com
thank you and have a great day.

Old 11-30-2003, 04:40 PM
skwotastropy81

has a former owner of a 94 firebird formula firehawk, i recommend staying away from the 3rd gen cars, by the time you find one in good shape its gonna cost you what a lt1 4th gen will, dont listen to the people that will scare you away from the lt1, i had 115k on mine and the only problem that i didnt cause from beating the **** outta the car was the waterpump started to leak, im pretty sure im one of the youngest on this board and i dont consider early 80s cars old, im still in love with the muscle car era.

Old 11-30-2003, 05:34 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 77 T/A Bandit car.Loved it.Go for it man.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

If you want to keep it cheap Hyper, buy a 2nd gen car. There's a lot of deals to be had and insurance should be cheap as most weren't all that fast. BUT a little tweaking will wake them up. Spend 2K on the car, put $500 into it and spend the rest on boat parts.
Attached Thumbnails Old Camaros and Firebirds?-sta3.jpg  
Old 11-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Registered

I love the look of the second gens

I raced one with the 403 in it. I had moms 2000 V6 firebird. At 80mph we were dead even. Both are automatics. I launched a little harder than he did. Is that normal for those cars? 320+ ft/lb, I would think it would spank a V6.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

The 403 is the Olds motor used for High Altitude applications, not quite as quick as the 400 (pontiac). Like I said it takes a little tweaking. The power is there, you just need to "uncork" it.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Registered

A 68 Firebird 400 with the Ram Air IV motor would be nice, as would be:

69' 396-375 horse camaro
68 or 69 Z-28
Old 11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Not in price range by far, but as long as we are posting pics of camaro's why not post the real deal.
Attached Thumbnails Old Camaros and Firebirds?-street7.jpg  
Old 11-30-2003, 08:58 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Our family grocery getter is a 96 WS6 Formula Firebird. (one of 55 red automatics made that year). Nearly 100,000 miles on it, and people still ask if it is a new Ferrari. Heck, we intend to keep it for 300,00 miles.
Love this car!

Oh yeah, no problem with the t-tops except in car washes. Have a towel at the ready, and it is fine.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Registered

You guys are killing me with all this car talk ! I got out of cars to get a boat , sure I love the boat but cruising around town in a bad ass ride is something I really miss.

69 Camaros are my favorite, a friend of mine just restored one and I would give up the boat in a heartbeat for it.
He started with a REALLY clean shell and made a Z-28 clone. One of our friends owns a restoration shop and is probably one of the best painters I've met. The car is unbelievably straight. It was apprasied at 35k.
It's Gold (factory color) with black stripes and a black vynl top. Chin spoiler, no decklid spoiler and a urethane front bumper.
Steel rims with caps, He found some place in Cali that makes a narrowed front . So its got skinny's in the front and a 10.5 28 Slick in the back. It's got a LS7 with a set of old D ports and a pretty big solid. Since him and his brother race Super Stock they had a tricked out trans sitting around he thru that in.
At the track last month the car went 10.38 @130 thru mufflers. It snatched the tires about 6" leaving on the transbrake. With a swap to a 4.56 gear I'm sure a 9.99 pass isn't out of the question.
He was kindly asked to put the car back on the trailer and not to come back unless the car had a bar and some a shoulder harness.

Last edited by 26scarab; 11-30-2003 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Old Camaros and Firebirds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.