New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja >

New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja

Notices

New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja

Old 07-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by formulaF302
Hey Russ....I'm running an 86 f302 that feel like a heavy pig with the mirage plus 25 pitch props (thru TRS drives). Do you think I should consider a 4 blade? What differnce did you notice? Thanks.. Glenn
I'd consider a 26" Kaama prop.
Attached Thumbnails New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja-jgriffkaama.jpg  
Old 07-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred,

I always use the Helicopter Technic with invisible wire!

Hell, it would sink if you didn't!
Attached Thumbnails New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja-magazine-photos-079.jpg  
Old 07-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Too Old, is now Too FUNNY

That is why Baja puts the bow rail in the center.
Attached Thumbnails New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja-misc-boat-5-3-03-029.jpg  
Old 07-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Registered

Glenn, my 89' 311 SR1 came with Mirage props. I swapped over to the Hydromotive Quad IV's (Mirage were 23 inch pitch, Quad IV's are 24 inch pitch) and I gained a solid 5 mph on the gps at 3200 rpm and 3 mph on the top end. The guys at Hydromotive told me what I could expect and they were right on. In their brochure one of their test boats is a 302 and I think they got an even bigger difference. They really took their time and explained why I would see the difference. Another advantage is that "Outlaw" just jumps up on plane. Much noticably quicker than with the Mirage. Hell, even my wife noticed that difference. I'd definitely give them a call, could be the cheapest speed increase you'll ever get. It certainly was mine. Keep me posted on your results, I'm in the Formula owners forum all the time.
I'll keep checking.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:05 PM
outlawntexas

Monty,
I just went from a 24 Outlaw to a 342 Boss this spring. During that search (6 months) I was almost convinced I wanted a Cig. That was until I really did an HONEST cost/benefit evaluation. Baja's are a great value with staying power on the water as well as in the market.

Bruce...

Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Registered

I have a saying..." There is always someone faster, there are those who pay a lot more for their boats, the rest can try reading my transom in 4 footers". I've owned 2 32' bajas "outlaw" style 86' and 94' which have the same hull as the 33'.

Baja is very stable and forgiving. Lots of freeboard and cockpit space. I love my 1994 32 caliper. You can probably find one in the 45k range. the 1990-1997 "magnum, Caliber, outlaw" are all basically the same.

Make sure you get 454 or 502 magnum EFI. This will go 70 with the 454 mag EFI or 75 with the 502.

As with any boat take it to a good MECHANIC to check the engines and SOMEBODY WHO WORKS on them to check the stringers and transom.

I haven't met too many surveyors who are worth the paper they write on.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Registered

Monty,
I just went from a 24 Outlaw to a 342 Boss this spring. During that search (6 months) I was almost convinced I wanted a Cig. That was until I really did an HONEST cost/benefit evaluation. Baja's are a great value with staying power on the water as well as in the market.

Bruce...

I don't know if I would go that far, Not that Baja's are bad but they don't hold there value like a Cig and for the long term the Cig will hold together better.

My uncle has a 29 outlaw he loves the boat.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Registered

Baja's aren't the best, but they are GOOD boats. Mine is a 1990 210 Sport and it runs in the upper 90's on a stock bottom. I am impressed with its ability to run 97 or 98 MPH with pretty good control. Oh ya there are no stress cracks on my boat anywhere. Nothing like blowing by some new custom boat and having 30 or so MPH on them for about 1/3 the cost!!
Old 07-24-2003, 05:31 PM
DEVIL MAN

From what I see, Baja makes a good quality seaworthy boat!

DMan

Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Registered

The 'de-lam' post is misleading altogether (probably should be yanked). Baja is great bang-for-the-buck, looks good and is roomy. No REAL performance boater looks with any disdain upon a Baja boater. A lot of people here who drive higher-end boats got their juices flowing in a Baja first.

Quick Reply: New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.