Notices

OT - Pop Up window killer

Old 08-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Pop Up window killer

anyone have a good reliable application to kill these darn pop up windows. I had one configure a phone dialer on me, and then dialed my phone. I could not stop it quickly enough and had to reboot to uninstall all of the crap. Phone company says I have to wait a couple of week to find out where I called.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: OT - Pop Up window killer

Originally posted by WRedmann
I had one configure a phone dialer on me, and then dialed my phone. I could not stop it quickly enough and had to reboot to uninstall all of the crap.
WTF? That's crazy!! That's way out of line...
Old 08-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I had one do that to me recently also. I could actually hear an operator asking if she could help me on my speakers!! And she had a brittish accent.....so I'm thinking I made a LONG distance call. Fuc%ing pop-ups!

Are there any free killers around for us cheap bastards??

'Foul
Old 08-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

my phone company said they have recently had customers call about charges. The call is overseas and they bill the phone company who bills you. Im going to wait and see if they try to charge me anything before I get too excited.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Registered

This one is free, it's small, and works great.

http://www.popularshareware.com/Anot...load-2589.html

It is identified as 'shareware', but I have been using it for MONTHS.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

I have a problem with popups too. The common killers are not working on this bug. It pops up not using a browser window telling me that in order to kill it that I have to buy their software. Nothing like blackmail!
Old 08-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Registered

Mrs Cord -
If it is the "Save Now" popups (with the little '$' signs), you can stop them by going thru your Control Panel to 'Add Remove Programs', and uninstall the 'Save Now' mini-program.
They are ungodly annoying.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Registered

Get the "Google" Toolbar 2 Beta Version, it has a builtin Popup blocker.
www.google.com
Easy to use
Old 08-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Registered

Mrs cord, It sounds like you have some ad ware on your system that is doing nothing but producing pop ups. Ad ware is often hidden in other "free" software. Download AdAware at www.lavasoftusa.com to get rid of it.

Best protection against pop ups ever is to download a browser that can turn off pop ups. i use a browser called opera, and have never, ever gotten a pop up i didnt want. Fewer hackers try to get in your system via opera too, because not many people use it, and hackers tend to exploit microsoft products because they are widespread and hackers tend to hate microsoft.

Get opera at www.opera.com it has a ton of other features that make my browsing better. only thing you have to be aware of, is that sometimes you want a popup. The larger images on boattrader are popups. it takes me 2 keystokes to temporarily re enable it......

And now, back to the boats.........
Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Registered

www.panicware.com for a free pop-up stopper. Also disable Microsoft Messenger as this is used to send a different type of pop-up advertising. In regards to wanted pop-ups, holding down the ctrl key with panicware allows for pop-up windows.

Last edited by David; 08-02-2003 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: OT - Pop Up window killer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.