Notices

Bacardi accident in NC

Old 08-04-2003, 04:27 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They think offshore boats are magnets....also they rent them to anyone. Let me tell you I have some good stories about some of these idiots, harsh but true, who run these things completely clueless.

Sean
Old 08-04-2003, 04:43 AM
Rick252

Damn " Go Fast Boats" always in the way.
I can hear the news now. Go Fast boat rams jet ski

Old 08-04-2003, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think unless you are a total ( strapjob) You would eb able to hear that boat as well as feel the rumble in your chest.

But as you said somehow the local papers will say a 200MPH boat ran over a jet ski.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Jet skiers get way too caught up into the operation of their ski---they are just way too easy to do turns with and the person operating the ski hardly ever looks over their shoulder or look around for other traffic. I have witnessed many careless moves and close calls on Lake Michigan.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to race ski's, and would screw around, but always in areas where the water was real shallow, so I new there wouldn't ba a ton of big boats around.

There needs to be actual marine Licenses !!!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Idiot!
That's too bad. Sorry to hear.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by KAAMA
Jet skiers get way too caught up into the operation of their ski---they are just way too easy to do turns with and the person operating the ski hardly ever looks over their shoulder or look around for other traffic. I have witnessed many careless moves and close calls on Lake Michigan.
You said it!

There is a built in design flaw. They are so small that any wake effects them, because of this the rider is focused only on the water immediately ahead of him.

Add to that the speed and turning ability and you have BIG problems.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hummmmmm.....
boat runnning 150mph+ travels at how many feet per second
just maybe,maybe, he got the sh!t scared out of him and turned wrong

I know one time at band camp,, up north 3 of us was running WOT in the middle of the lake and here is a rafter in a BLUE kayak straight in front of us.

He bailed at the sight of us. We all were able to abort the run and turn away, but he got swamped by our wakes.
speed happens FAST maybe, just maybe two sides to a story
Old 08-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I agree with all the comments about the jetskiers.....but havine owned both types of watercraft i can say that there are just as many stupid boaters out there!
Bout 7 yrs ago i was jetskiing on the Chain-o-lake here in northern IL.....i was purposly in a shallow area screwing around so not to get in any boaters ways......if anyone know thes lakes i was on (if memeory of the names is right) on Nippersink lake right along the train tracks the follow along side Rt 12 inbetween the bridges........its about 4 feet deep there and full of mud. Well needless to say i was focused on trying to get a trick down when what seemed to be out of no where a 35' fountain came screaming through the area doing a right handed turn.......the driver never saw me cause the boat was turned sideways and the spry off the drives knocked me off me ski!!! it was close enough i could have read the HIN#! The prick left a trail of mud and took off never knowing i was there......so you cant place blame on just one areas of watersports.

I do agree that some sort of licensing should be in place for both if not all types of craft operators. I mean if the lakes can get crowded enough as streets of a city then people need to be aware of the rules of the water!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I'll play the Devil's advocate here for a sec, is it possible that the jet skier saw the boat, but didn't realize how fast it was going and mis-judged his course? My guess is there are not a ton of 100+ boats out there and it's easy to mis-judge how fast they are really going. Heck, he could have looked and seen a small speck out in the distance and within a minute the boat is upon him. Also, with that whiney little engine on the jet-ski, the right wind direction, and distance, he might not have heard the boat until it was too late. I'm not defending stupid boating practices and have no patience for those who operate that way, but you have to be pretty stupid to want to play chicken with a big fast boat. It's everybody's responsibility to operate safely and make sure you know what is around you so change your course to avoid an incident. If the jet-skier had his head up his behind, he got what he deserved and should be held liable for his actions. Maybe there's more to the story.

Last edited by Indy; 08-04-2003 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Bacardi accident in NC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.