Like Tree0Likes

29 Fever or 292 FasTech ??

Old 08-08-2003, 08:15 AM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

Madcow the Formula is only 28 w/ the platform and how big is that plat form on Sonics

Anyway, for fun/performance/maint. the Fountain will have it hands down, but if you are going to be loading it down with people, gear and "Family" depending on your family you may be better off with the Formula. Plus as noted earlier if you are going in the ocean, twins is nice.

WILL
Old 08-08-2003, 08:33 AM
hauling ass-a

I have a 271 formula, great boat. The 29 is even better with the twins! I looked at both and the fountain had a smaller cabin, and was harder to get into with the bolster seat right in front of the door. Also keep in mind with twins the boat sems to land more even. You will not experience the prop pull effect of a single motor. As far as the maintenance after yor change the plugs once you will get the hang of it. My opinion is it is very hard to beat formulas 5 year warranty. Any problem(hardly any) I had they fixed no questions asked. My 2cents

Old 08-08-2003, 08:35 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Boy, now that is a tough question. Many things that have been said are true. What suits the needs of you, your family etc best. There are a couple of things to consider with regard to power, access to plugs aside. Keep in mind that twins means that there are two sets of everything to break. No a plus or minus, just another thing to consider. Both have their finer points and draw backs for sure. Formula is top notch in fit & finish. No doubt about it. They also take more power per foot to attain the same speed. I think both are good boats. If outright speed and performance were the overriding factors I would have to say the Fountain. But with family and performance being important, I think I would lean toward the boys from Decatur. I have a Formula in addition to the Skater and it is a TOP QUALITY boat, no doubt about it.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

Comes down to where your boating, the ocean. If one motor/drive fails in the Formula, you can still get home. If the Fountain breaks, your stuck, out on the open ocean, and there is nothing worse other than sinking or on fire. It's scarey.Now figure what SeaTow will charge to come get you. Figure $ 400.00 absolute minimum, I've know guys who've paid $ 900.00 to get towed in. The first time you get stuck out in the open ocean, you'll be praying for the hassle of working on twins. Trust me on this, I know. I won't go out of the sight of land on a single engine boat. No way, no how. Spent 14 hours on a buddy's single once in Gulf of Mexico. WAS NOT FUN. Too bad the 377 Scorpions are so much friggin money. Then you'd have apples and apples speed wise. Plus, the Formula is a much higher quality built boat. My two cents anyway...
Old 08-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: was a 89" Formula 311-SR1

Forgot, docking manuvers with twins (counter-roatating) is a breeze compared with a single. Night and day difference. You can parallel park a boat with twins, never touching the steering wheel. All done with the shifters.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

The other thing to consider if buying expensive blue paint knaws at you like it does most of us. Buy the Formula with black power, i.e. 502 efi's and have a QUALITY engine builder build you turn key naturally aspirated 650 to 700hp motors. It is easily done by an engine builder with the right know how. There is a gentleman here in upstate NY that is well known but does not advertise. I have never met him nor spoke with him, but I do know countless people that rave about him and his reliability. Just something to consider. This will enhance performance, maintain reliability and save you some bucks as well.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Default Formula

Go for the Formula and put Whipples on those 6.2's.

That baby will FLY!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:10 AM
MTI / MTI-V
VIP Member

My Boats: Building boats for you

Oh, Just go buy that Pantera you've really been wanting...
[email protected]
(314)803-8842
Old 08-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless....

Formula: top build quality/fit/finish, 5-year warranty, built like a tank, and twins.

As far as maintenance, short of a staggered arrangement, most twins are a pain in the a_s to work on in a narrow beam boat, regardless of manufacturer.

Fountain is a nice ride, but what would the economics be of a twin small block boat comparable to the Formula?

In terms of resale, I wouldn't expect a problem selling either boat. But, who knows what the future market will be.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:09 PM
MTI / MTI-V
VIP Member

My Boats: Building boats for you

If it has to be one of those two...
I'll take that Fountain over the Formula any day.
[email protected]
(314)803-8842