Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What to do in Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

What to do in Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notices

What to do in Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do in Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be in Cape Cod specifically in Hyannis from August 20 thru the 27. Anyone know any hot spots on the water? Do not know the waters at all, so any help is much appreciated. Planning on staying next to the Hyannis Yacht club. Anyone know how far it is to NAntuckit from there?

Thanks

Titan
Old 08-13-2003, 08:51 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What to do in Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vote Democrate and drive off a bridge.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot to do around there. Nantucket is 22 (I think) miles off the coast. DO NOT do it if you are shakey on your navagation. That water kicks up QUICK with the afternoon breeze so pay close attention to the weather. It is a real fun ride out. If you do go to the island you can drop your anchor on the left side of the harbor and call the launch to pick you up.

Jon
Old 08-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Registered

I have heard about the water getting pretty rough. Last year we were up there but did not bring the boat. Just bought a new Tahoe so I know have a vechicle to make the trip with the boat. Is anyone going to be around Hyannis?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

I've done the trip to Nantucket a few times. It can be rough in a small boat. It's just shy of 30 miles from the public launch in Hyannis to Smith's Point Nantucket. I think Eel Point is one of the closest point to Hyannis. If you have good weather, make a point to head out there. It is truly an experience.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:26 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in falmouth. the boat house here is a good spot to have dinner and party. the Courtyard is a bar owned by Jay Miller(Boston Bruins Fame). Woods Hole has a few bars to visit. Marthas Vinyard is not far as well. fyi.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:48 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for all of the help. Hope to see any of the OSO members around the cape next week.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are not sure about nantucket take the fast ferry or the plane out. I fly out to the island all the time. 15 min flight and it only costs ya like 75 bucks round trip (not sure exactly I buy ticket books so it is cheaper). Plane leaves every hour and you can show up like 10 min before a flight and get on. Fast ferry is the Hyline and I am not sure on the scedual on that one.

Jon
Old 08-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Registered

Hylines fast ferry is pretty fun in the big stuff. It is $58 round trip though and does fill up. If you decide to go that route, make a reservation. It cruises at over 40 mph through anything! Believe me, I took it during a storm when all other ferries were canceled.

All barges and everything was packing into the bay. Myself and 7 other friends were the only ones the boarded. Everyone else decided to stay in Hyannis for the night. The seas were huge and the computer controlled jet drives kept the boat level and cruising at 40. We approached Nantucket and it was pitch black. We were still moving when we suddenly came to a stop and we saw water just pouring off the windows from the roof top.

The lights came on and we saw huge standing swells coming out of Nantucket Harbor. Well I guess I lied because we did go 40 through them... anymore... I have never seen swells like that just standing there and not really moving and I don't think the captain really had either.

The point is the up to that point, we we going 40 when all other boats were in the harbor. I attached a picture of the boat so you can get an idea of the size of wave needed to crash over the bow. Mind you, in this picture the boat is not on plane. I think it rises 4 feet or so when on plane.

OK I'm rambling. Have a fun trip. I hope someone will be around to meet up with you. I keep my fingers crossed for good weather for you.

What boat are you bringing out with you?
Attached Thumbnails What to do in Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!!-greylady.jpg  
Old 08-17-2003, 09:23 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Audiofn
...Fast ferry is the Hyline and I am not sure on the scedual on that one...
I knew you Mass Dems where familiar with ferries but usually spelling is more clean cut,.... you know ferry wise!