Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stupidest question asked about your boat. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58302-stupidest-question-asked-about-your-boat.html)

RebarBox 09-02-2003 10:57 AM

Stupidest question asked about your boat.

I currently have my boat for sale in trader. And having sold several boats in the past, I thought I had heard some really silly questions asked about boats.

I had a call last Friday and these are some of the questions he asked:

How Fast? - My response: mid to upper sixties

How fast will it pull a wake board? - My response: a hell of alot faster than I care to be on a wake board!

What color is the boat? - My response: Black

Is the black hot in summer? - My response: Only when you step on it.

Does the boat smell? - My response: Smell? What do you mean?

Well I see the word 'Cigarette' - Does it smell like smoke? - My response: (Being utterly amazed at the question and figuring someone is screwing with me) I ask "who am I speaking with?" He said some foreign name I couldn't EVER spell. I ask "where is he from?" He said Tulsa. (Still being amazed at the question) I just responded 'No, it doesn't smell like smoke - Cigarette is the brand of boat'

Now this could have been someone playing with me but I think someone would have claimed the call by now. If the call was legit, I believe I have heard the stupidest boat question yet.

Audiofn 09-02-2003 11:06 AM

Biggus has the stupidest question asked about a boat asked this weekend :D:D:D

WARPARTY36 09-02-2003 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had some really dumb questions on my boat, but the best is my dad was telling our guys at work he had just bought a 530 Carver. They wanted to know what size trolling motor it had on it. WTF.

BLee 09-02-2003 11:27 AM

Re: Stupidest question asked about your boat.

Originally posted by RebarBox

Well I see the word 'Cigarette' - Does it smell like smoke? -

I would have hung up after that one.

I told a guy this weekend that the boat stays in Miami in the Winter. He looked at me and said, "Why? No one drives these in salt water." I paused (for awhile) and said, "have you ever visited South Florida?"

RebarBox 09-02-2003 11:38 AM

I keep thinking this was a joke but the questions where too far out there. He also asked if the boat had stickers on the side of it that kids could scratch?????? I never quite understood that one, I just said, No.

Jana 09-02-2003 12:20 PM

My favorite boat question is "Do you drive it yourself?" as they're looking at 29 feet of Fountain, 5'-3" of me and trying to find the nonexistent guy who must either own the boat or drive it for me. (This seems to come more often from women - most of the guys get it.) Yes, I'm a girl, yes, I own it and yes, I drive it (hard enough to blow a head gasket too).

Quiet Storm 09-02-2003 12:40 PM

A person asked if my boat was a Cigarette.

Sonic did a good job of putting SONIC on every side and top part of the boat. I thought for a moment and decided it just wasn't worth going into how every pointy boat isn't a Cigarette. I just answered, no its a Sonic. He went away happy and so was I.

Airpacker 09-02-2003 12:55 PM

Asked by a 30 something in a BMW 2 weeks ago at the launch in regards to my cat. " Why would you buy that one,my dad's pontoon boat has way more seats,why didn't you buy one with more seats in it" ? DOH!

JUSTONCE 09-02-2003 01:05 PM

Not about the boat but a question I've gotten a few times on the boat.
"is this a bad idea?" maybe not the dumbest question but when paired with my answer it makes you wonder.
"yup" :D

packinair 09-02-2003 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well I have had ALOT of dumb questions after I listed it.. but I think the best one was asked to hyperbaja as I was leaving a dock.. guy asked him " those don't sound stock... does he have blowers on it??"

Brad Zastrow 09-02-2003 01:15 PM

You do not take that out here do you?
Where can you go that fast?
Have you actually gone that fast?
How can you afford the gas?
All time dumbest is "Can you give me a ride?"

Scott B 09-02-2003 01:23 PM

Had an avid fisherman tell me he didn't see the "point" of a go-fast boat. Thought that was an awful lot of money to spend to just buzz around from place to place. I told him I didnt see the point of his large sportfish, custom rods, paid crew,

and catch and release...

Scott B

Chris288 09-02-2003 01:46 PM

IS that a Cigar boat ?? have to laugh my ass off every time I hear someone say that...

Sonic30ss 09-02-2003 02:00 PM

A woman asked my wife if we really took a 30' boat" ALL THE WAY to Block Island", "thats kind of small isn't it?" (her quotes)

The Cigarette thing has now become a joke with my friends, I don't even have to say it anymore they all say it for me, "it's not a Cig it's a Sonic!"

donzi matt 09-02-2003 02:02 PM

While my brother in law was being written up by a young marine patrol officer in his 29 fountain with a 500 EFI, the cop was looking at the engine and asked him if it was an Evinrude. We still laugh about that.

BLee 09-02-2003 02:07 PM

Originally posted by donzi matt
with a 500 EFI, the cop was looking at the engine and asked him if it was an Evinrude. We still laugh about that.

OMG!

ernie davis 09-02-2003 02:15 PM

packinair

Nope, no blowers, no MUFFLERS either : )

What's with your boat for sale?
Must be voodoo spell...... :) :) :)

Uncle Toys 09-02-2003 02:22 PM

From a busty young lady in a skimpy bikini during spring break, "Excuse me, do you think your wife would mind if you took me for a ride?"

Shane 09-02-2003 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Airpacker
Asked by a 30 something in a BMW 2 weeks ago at the launch in regards to my cat. " Why would you buy that one,my dad's pontoon boat has way more seats,why didn't you buy one with more seats in it" ? DOH!
My reply would have been, "my grandfathers staion wagon has a lot more seats, why didn't you buy a staion wagon instead of that BMW?":p

Shane 09-02-2003 02:38 PM

It wasn't really a question, but one day a nice old lady was walking around the neighborhood when I was working on the boat. She said "that's a nice boat" then as she walked in front of it said "oh, it's a pontoon boat." I just smiled and said thanks. I didn't have the heart to tell her it's a Skater...:)

Interceptor 09-02-2003 02:53 PM

Did you ever want a sailboat ?

LEOPAJM 09-02-2003 03:09 PM

I seem to get this from ALL the SeaRay guys and fishermen .... "how much fuel does she use ??? "

My reply ... "Dude ... I have no idea , and I don't want to know !!!! "

Unfortunately up here from around November 1 to June 1 ...... I doesn't burn ANY !!!!!!!!

THRILLSEEKER 09-02-2003 04:07 PM

Did you ever want a sailboat ? LMAO!

:D

You all can look at the bottom of my post and see my most frequently asked dumb question, so often that it has turned into a joke with all my boating friends:p

among the dumbest I have been asked are: "where are the rod holders?" "Is it yours?":mad: ........"all of it?":rolleyes:, also asked was asked once if it was a race boat (NO) well then why does it say CIGARETTE RACING TEAM if you dont race? and the best one was when I was I pulled into a marina of a strictly fishing and pontoon lake to use the jon, and was asked by an old man "why arent there any motors on it?" :eek: :eek: I guess he never saw anything but an eggbeater in his life.

HyperBaja 09-02-2003 04:49 PM

Originally posted by packinair
well I have had ALOT of dumb questions after I listed it.. but I think the best one was asked to hyperbaja as I was leaving a dock.. guy asked him " those don't sound stock... does he have blowers on it??"
No, it was "Stock 200 fishing motors my ass, those are bored and stroked and have nitrous"

birdog 09-02-2003 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
While buying gas with the boat on the trailer I get asked, "are you going fishing?"

Fred> "Heavens NO !!!!!!! I dont get these boats wet !!:D :eek:

45sonic 09-02-2003 05:14 PM

How fast does it go?
How much fuel does it hold?
How much to fill it up?
How long does a tank of gas last?
How much is it?
Can I go for a ride sometime?
You actually trailer that thing?
What do you pull it with?
She actually knows how to drive it?
How many does it sleep?
How many people does it hold?

And many others I can't remember at this time

mikev 09-02-2003 05:30 PM

for me it was why did you name your boat "DONZI" ?

RickerTX 09-02-2003 05:35 PM

"What's a boat like that cost?" I usually say "it's all relative, buddy"

BLee 09-02-2003 05:37 PM

A bagger in the grocery store said to a friend of mine at the checkout line, "It's about time someone started standing up for us smokers. Awesome T-shirt man!"

I think you can guess what shirt my friend was wearing. And this was AT THE LAKE. No excuse.

hoghead 09-02-2003 05:55 PM

This probably isn't too stupid since hardly anyone has heard of my boat, last weekend at the gas dock it went like this...

Guy: Man, nice looking boat
Me: Thanks, I like it alot
Guy: What kind is it?
Me: Well, it's a Prototype
Guy: Oh, what's it a prototype of?
Me: That's actually the manufacturer. That's who built it.
Guy: Huh, ummm so maybe Mercury?
Me: No, it has a mercury motor in it though, but Prototype is the manufacturer.
Guy: I wonder what it's a prototype of?
Me: Um....well it's like this....uh... ya know, I don't know what it's a prototype of. See ya later.

DEVIL MAN 09-02-2003 06:17 PM

I had a guy ask me why would a Cigarette company would sponsor a Racing team???? Said it was bad for the lungs!!!

Whenever anyone asks how much the boat cost....I ask the person to guess.....I get answers from $25,000 to $50,000...I don't even bother rationalizing with them...just good for a big laugh.

I tell some people that ask that the Devil goes 70 miles per hour...and have had a couple of people say that is impossible and that no boat can go that fast. Then I tell them that there are boats that are reaching close to 200 miles per hour and they just walk away insulted and shaking their heads thinking I am being a jerk!!!!

DMan

Biggus 09-02-2003 07:08 PM

Over the weekend one of my neighbors asked me if there was a place to sleep up front in the bow, or was it all motors up there??? :D

Clay Washington 09-02-2003 07:14 PM

One day I had a 50-ish year-old man ask me if I had a "big block".

I said, "I have a 502."

He said, "Oh, then you don't have a big block."

I said, "What do you consider a big block?"

He said , "A 454 is a big block."

I said, "Yes, a 454 is a big block, and I have a 502."

He still didn't get it. :D

Clay Washington 09-02-2003 07:18 PM

I have a Whipplecharged 502 that includes an intercooler. While the engine is running, a steady stream of water flows thru the intercooler and out a port beside my bilge pump port.

Sometimes when I am going "no wake" speed, a boater will tell me that my bilge pump is running. I just smile and say, "Yeah, it does that sometimes. Wanna race?" :cool:

Madcow 09-02-2003 07:23 PM

Heard this at the dock one time. Someone asks a guy with a 30 Scarab what it had for power to which he replied "twin small blocks" Guy says "I didnt know they put smalls in panthers" Owner says "yeah its got two 330s".

donzi matt 09-02-2003 07:25 PM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this one, I was sitting at a town dock one day when I heard one guy say to his buddy, "those Donzi's are made in Italy, I think they are owned by Ferrari" I tried my best to stifle my laughter untill they were out of earshot, I didn't want to get into it.

Waterfoul 09-02-2003 07:28 PM

Sitting in MY boat in MY driveway working on something or other one spring, neighbor kid come up the driveway on his bike (I had just moved in that winter):

Is that your boat?
Is it fast?
Do you race it?
No, why not?

Several years later, same kid, same driveway, same boat, same questions. What gives here??? I think the school system is failing this young person!!!

I cannot tell you how many times I've had to tell this rat to NOT ride his bike up my driveway between my truck and the house, the boat and the house, behind the boat, etc.... His father cannot afford to re-paint the side of my truck or boat WHEN he scratches it.

I wish I had a neighbor like the kid that Cord has living across the street from him in Milwaukee. This kid is the best wrench monkey I've ever met. And he's only 8 years old!!!! If I ever have kids (ladies, are you listening??) I want one like him!!!

'Foul

jafo 09-02-2003 07:35 PM

"Can you troll with it?"

" I guess that depends on what you're trolling for......"

:)

RollWithIt 09-02-2003 07:39 PM

Owner of the Cigarette named Fountain. Now that is a good one. I wonder how many fights could be started with that one.

Havasu Cig 09-02-2003 07:40 PM

Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
I had a guy ask me why would a Cigarette company would sponsor a Racing team???? Said it was bad for the lungs!!!

Whenever anyone asks how much the boat cost....I ask the person to guess.....I get answers from $25,000 to $50,000...I don't even bother rationalizing with them...just good for a big laugh.

I tell some people that ask that the Devil goes 70 miles per hour...and have had a couple of people say that is impossible and that no boat can go that fast. Then I tell them that there are boats that are reaching close to 200 miles per hour and they just walk away insulted and shaking their heads thinking I am being a jerk!!!!

DMan

Last time we were in Havasu I had one guy guess 100k and another 1.5 mil!!! I wished the later would have made an offer.:D