Like Tree0Likes

T2x....in 1965

Reply
Old 09-04-2003, 06:11 PM
  #11
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default

No bandana you mean you had hair once!
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:54 PM
  #12
Charter Member #415
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Jasper,Alabama
My Boats: 1968 Switzer Shooting Star,1967 Switzer Shooting Star,1963 Glasspar G-3
Posts: 3,357
Default

When we bought our first V163 Glastron I asked Bob Hammond why the transom cutout was so wide. He said there might be a few guys wanting to run twins. You have to remember that in 1964 there were no horsepower ratings and the the tower of power Merc 100 was very narrow so twins did not take a lot of extra room. Twins on a 16 foot boat?Sure,why not, there were a few like T2x and Kenny Kalibat and of course Bob Hammond that could do it. Good days,good memories.
Magicfloat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:55 AM
  #13
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Magicfloat
When we bought our first V163 Glastron I asked Bob Hammond why the transom cutout was so wide. He said there might be a few guys wanting to run twins. You have to remember that in 1964 there were no horsepower ratings and the the tower of power Merc 100 was very narrow so twins did not take a lot of extra room. Twins on a 16 foot boat?Sure,why not, there were a few like T2x and Kenny Kalibat and of course Bob Hammond that could do it. Good days,good memories.
Don't forget Jon Culver who, basically, put Glastron on the map with his original "Stamper" 17 footer.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 AM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Aventura, FL
My Boats: 31 Jupiter w/ 300 VRods
Posts: 1,176
Default

How fast was the boat?
How reliable were the outboards at that time?
Thanks for posting the picture!!!
Brad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 AM
  #15
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
How fast was the boat?
How reliable were the outboards at that time?
Thanks for posting the picture!!!
That Glastron topped out at about 70 ( remember this was with stock lowers and bronze two bladed props..).....and the motors were very reliable..... a full season between rebuilds. As a matter of fact Ken Kalibat and I ran those very same motors on a 17 footer in the Orange Bowl Regatta 9 hour marathon...in January, 1966.

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:15 AM
  #16
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ankeny,ia.
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:
....I was 1
Me too


Did they have power trim back in
those days ?

jt
JaayTeee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:27 AM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MIAMI, FL
My Boats: 4 BOATS KILLED :)
Posts: 1,262
Default

Grandpa T2x,

I was at the 9-hour in Miami when Bob H. and Jim Black led the whole enchilada for 45 miutes in a 16' or 17' with a 400 Interceptor on a V-drive. I still stay in touch with Jim. He is one of my suppliers, Jim Black Assoc., Tampa.
BROWNIE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:46 AM
  #18
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jt29olhp500s
Me too


Did they have power trim back in
those days ?

jt
No
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:52 AM
  #19
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BROWNIE
Grandpa T2x,

I was at the 9-hour in Miami when Bob H. and Jim Black led the whole enchilada for 45 miutes in a 16' or 17' with a 400 Interceptor on a V-drive. I still stay in touch with Jim. He is one of my suppliers, Jim Black Assoc., Tampa.
Brownie:

I remember the wackiest assortment of hulls and motors ever assembled, and the start of the race took 5 minutes for everybody to simply cross the starting line. A helo started the race by dropping a big bag of red dye over the start area..... Nordskog won that year...in Shark's Tooth...his modified Rayson Craft.......

I think Hammond won it the year before...1965.... but I'm not sure.

T2x........who you callin' grampa?
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:56 AM
  #20
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Von Bongo
Kewl....I was 1
Quote:
Originally posted by jt29olhp500s
Me too
Me Too
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1965 thunderbird
Classic Offshore
279
10-31-2017 11:59 AM
rchevelle71
General Boating Discussion
3
02-01-2008 02:54 PM
Outlawcowgirl
General Boating Discussion
0
03-03-2005 07:45 PM
BROWNIE
General Boating Discussion
1
12-15-2003 11:27 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.