Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
For those of you at home over Labor Day... >

For those of you at home over Labor Day...

Notices

For those of you at home over Labor Day...

Old 09-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by Semper Fi
I don't want to name names, but I am talking about an Ex-employee of DCB--I'd say that was a reliable enough source.
I hear ya- I just thought you were talking about first hand experience.

For example, I had a bad experience with Tony over at WCRM. However, just because he had my boat and didn't do the job for the price he quoted, or in the time frame agreed upon, doesn't mean others won't have a good experience with the guy.

Also, he tends to bash DCB a little. This was understandable, since he is now a direct competitor. I think there is room for both without the name calling like "your boat porpoises so bad Teague couldn't drive it in the evaluations"...

Can't we all just get along?
Old 09-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Havasu Hangin,
I completely agree.
In Tony's case, you really can't blame him. He was Dave's #1 guy--he was with him from the beginning. Tony got married and had a new baby and started rigging boats on the side for more money. Dave is just another business owner making tons of money and not paying his employees ****. Dave should have stepped up and Taken care of Tony and gave him bonus's or more money to keep him happy. When dave found out he was rigging on the side, they had it out and Tony left.
Before I get "attacked" here by business owners, I understand that you can make alot of money and pay your employees crap, but you need to take care of your employees to make the business run smoothly. It is awesome when a business can really care about their employees and their needs/concerns.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally posted by Semper Fi
In Tony's case, you really can't blame him. He was Dave's #1 guy--he was with him from the beginning. Tony got married and had a new baby and started rigging boats on the side for more money. Dave is just another business owner making tons of money and not paying his employees ****. Dave should have stepped up and Taken care of Tony and gave him bonus's or more money to keep him happy. When dave found out he was rigging on the side, they had it out and Tony left.
Well, I was one of those guys who wanted to use Tony "on the side" when he was at DCB. The guy does great work. Period.

However, we are all graded on a curve. When there are other riggers out there that will take less working for Dave (but offer the same quality), it was probably an easy decision. We all need to understand that business is business (setting aside personal issues).

I agree that Tony and Todd did the right thing by going out on thier own...if they want to be "making tons of money" in this business, then they need to be thier own bosses. I just hope they understand that there is more to running a business than great rigging.

As for bashing DCB, IMHO, he needs to guard against the "disgruntled ex-employee syndrome". For everything negative he says about DCB, there's gonna be owners who are happy, so it just makes him look bitter. Let's be realistic- every builder has it's dissatisfied customers...but, in general, most DCB owners I know (except Chris) are very satisfied.

Keep in mind I don't own a DCB, and have no personal or financial reason to say anything positive or negative about them. I do have friends who own them and are very happy (yes, some were rigged by Tony).
Old 09-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does he think of the balance of the boat (the 29) with #6's? I would think it might be a bit stern heavy.
I haven't seen much on the 34 bottom issues, but I guess there are so few of them around that it's hard to get a handle on it. I would be interested in knowing more.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally posted by SummerObsession
What does he think of the balance of the boat (the 29) with #6's? I would think it might be a bit stern heavy.
I would imagine that the 29 w/#6's is more stern heavy than most...that boat is even available with a single engine.

Those 900's aren't exactly light, either.

When I was on it last weekend, I didn't notice any strange behavior (not counting the passangers)....

Originally posted by SummerObsession
I haven't seen much on the 34 bottom issues, but I guess there are so few of them around that it's hard to get a handle on it. I would be interested in knowing more.
I think Semper Fi is talking about the first one built. I heard they re-designed the bottom, as it had some porpoise in it...but it's fixed now (at least the ones I've seen)

I'm guessing he's sold a dozen or so (a new one was just delivered two weeks ago w/Teague 620's?), so they aren't as rare as you may think...
Old 09-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Registered

Just to clear some things up....Tony has been very fair to Dave, and has not said anything to me that was not true.

We talked a couple of weeks ago about the F-29 and
F-34. Tony actually told me that from what he was told the 29 works very well. This info was given to Tony first hand from someone who had tested the boat.

as far as the 34 goes, Tony said that the ones he had driven at ridden in did not work well. He said that they were actually asked to leave Lake-X because of safety issues with the one they took there.

He said that he could not honestly critique the 34 at this time since he believes the bottom has been re-worked.

Tony still talks to dave, and does not bash him contrary to what people might say. i have had my problems with dave, but he does build a nice boat.

That being said, I would not pay Skater prices for a DCB. Just my.02.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kicked out of Lake -X >? What kind of safety issues ?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Registered

Porpoising.....I was told they almost stuffed the boat while playing with the tab to try and stop it.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OUCH I guess They don't want to have a death or serious injury there.

Has there ever been a Death at Lake -X ? I hope not but just a thought.