Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cig GLADIATOR or Donzi 38ZR ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58826-cig-gladiator-donzi-38zr.html)

Jeffrey 09-09-2003 11:21 AM

Cig GLADIATOR or Donzi 38ZR ??

I know there have been alot of direct comparisons between the Gladiator and the Outerlimits but I do not think there has been the same comparison done between a Gladiator and the 38ZR.

One of our SCOPE members is contemplating one or the other. He has found two boats - same year, both with ITS/Bravo XR drives, and very similiar prices. The differences are that the Gladiator comes with the new 525EFI's and the 38ZR has the 575SC's. The Gladiator has five hours on it (new) and a trailer and the ZR has 30 hours on it and no trailer - not a big deal.

All things being (relatively) equal - which is the better choice? As most of you know I am a Cigarette fan so my vote has already been cast. That being said I also had a chance to look at a new ZR earlier this year and I was duly impressed with what I saw. It was simply MORE boat than the Gladiator in many respects. Larger, more comfortable, seemingly better ergonomics, etc. I did not have a chance to ride in it but had a chance to ask Bob Teague (at our annual Poker Run) about it. He praised the boat and said it was one of the better offshore powerboats he has ever driven.

Once again - opinions? All things being equal - which would you choose?

dockrocker 09-09-2003 11:45 AM

audacity joe in 3.... 2.... 1....

audacity 09-09-2003 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
funny....ours is for sale F2-21....LOW hours on everything! computers everything will go...good luck finding a scratch! tons of spares and prop combinations!..trailer NEVER seen water...buy it right after the worlds...i can guarantee i can have this one running better than a 575 w/o APBA rules!

the donzi is in a league of it's own!

ITLLFLI 09-09-2003 11:52 AM

I agree with TOO OLD. I also have seen Nelems ZR and it is ONE AMAZING MACHINE!! I also was lucky enough to ride in it and that thing flat moves!!

Tough choice.....but....it would be the ZR!

HiPerf2000 09-09-2003 11:52 AM

i've heard somewhere, not sure where, that the 38 can out-turn anything in it's class. :)

audacity 09-09-2003 11:53 AM

if ya wana chat....work 734 523 5339 after 4 cell 734 635 1697

audacity 09-09-2003 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more than you would ever want in a pleasue boat!

Sydwayz 09-09-2003 11:58 AM

Audacity, why is the boat for sale?

audacity 09-09-2003 12:00 PM

sell it and do it again...different class...

Magicfloat 09-09-2003 12:03 PM

Don't want to use the board as a sales tool and the 38ZR your friend is looking at is not mine,but I will say that anyone that has been in our 38ZR has come away impressed.We have done several Poker Runs with it and I am the kind of guy that has to drive or I get scared. This is the only fast boat that I can let someone else drive and I sit in the back seat and feel good.When you are spending a lot of money,spend some time in each boat.In 35 years in the business I have never seen anything quite like the 38ZR.Not for everyone,no cabin,etc.,but it is cool. Run both and decide. You are welcome to run mine even if you are buying the other one. Robert

Pete B 09-09-2003 12:20 PM

joey,
what class are you moving to???

LEOPAJM 09-09-2003 12:30 PM

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this boat with bigger power 700-800 hps ???? The guys from Typhoon ran one here in Cleveland last year but I was not there. Anyone have some seat time in it ????

JM

THE GOOD STUFF 09-09-2003 12:42 PM

How fast are these boats with the 575 motors.

audacity 09-09-2003 01:05 PM

750's=110mph

BLee 09-09-2003 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Too Old
I had the chance to crawl around on Robert Nelems [MAGICFLOAT] 38 ZR and it really surprised me. The attention to detail was just unbelievable on the boat. The staggered motors and associated rigging were art.

I love Cigarette. Always have, always will. But if I had the choice between the two, I'd be on my way to Alabama right now to pick up the 38 ZR.

I think the boat has a lot of nice detail touches. The footrests, back seat grab handles and the awesome quarter canopies. I also think the boat has an exclusivity that even Cigarette can't touch. There just haven't been many built.

There's no doubt the Donzi has proved itself in the F-2 wars.

I'd consider myself to be one lucky dude to have either one, but given the choice, I'm on the Donzi like a cheap suit.

Hooooold on there Fred,

Our definition of attention to detail must vary. The Gladiator is the same hull as the Top Gun. It rides like the Top Gun. The fit and finish is unmatched. Your imagination is your only limit. If you want canopies, you get canopies.

Now lets talk attention to detail. :)

Sydwayz 09-09-2003 01:10 PM

The boat O-P is offering is billed as the Fastest ZR:

http://offshore-performance.com/boat...&boat_id=11442

BLee 09-09-2003 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Staggered you asked?

BLee 09-09-2003 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is attention to detail.

BLee 09-09-2003 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
custom rear seat. Pick your colors.

BLee 09-09-2003 01:19 PM

Now do the comparison. Then compare the resale price at the end of the Summer.

HebertNecessity 09-09-2003 01:38 PM

I would think you could buy 2 gladiators for 1 ZX, The cig is beautiful but I think out done. I think the donzi/outerlimits is a better comparison

BLee 09-09-2003 01:48 PM

Originally posted by HebertNecessity
I would think you could buy 2 gladiators for 1 ZX, The cig is beautiful but I think out done. I think the donzi/outerlimits is a better comparison

Donzi vs. Outerlimits. LOL :rolleyes: Next we will compare the Ferrari Enzo and the Mustang Cobra.

cuda 09-09-2003 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also agree with Too Old. I've been infatuated with these boats since they came out. This I believe was hull #2. It was at last year' PRA in April at Sarasota. The scuttlebut then was during testing, it ran 93 with twin 500's, so they picked the number F2-93.

cuda 09-09-2003 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve Simon in the 38.

ClockworkOrange 09-09-2003 02:07 PM

hard choice

Saw the Harley of Daytona boat and its pretty sweet, There is one parked down the street from my house that has a cover on it . Trailer is from Texas, Havent seen the boat around before. Anyone know whos it is , I liked to check it out

BLee 09-09-2003 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Too Old

I stand by my statement. It's my opinion and my opinion only. I've looked at both boats and I'd buy the Donzi.

I like the Gladiator. I like Cigarettes. But I'm not blindly loyal to any brand.

I'm not blindly loyal either, but my opinion is based on my experiences with all brands. Our marina used to sell Donzi, I've had 3 Formulas, my friends have had all the rest. They are all great boats. They are still mass produced hulls.

I guess I don't understand what your definition of attention to detail is.

My opinion only for Vee's: Cigarette, Apache, Nor-Tech, Outerlimits, Saber, (and I've probably left 1 or 2 out) are FAR ahead of the game on attention to detail. And I don't mean the paint jobs. I'm talkin solid white in and out. Rigging and innovative ideas for seating, comfort, and accesibility. How easy it is for mechanics to access areas without them being in the way. Location of cleats, rails, steps, handles. After all that is designed, style is a major component of attention to detail as well. Some have it, some don't.

And of course I respect your thoughts Fred. Afterall you should "have it your way" right? ;) :D

Magicfloat 09-09-2003 02:27 PM

Our 38ZR has seen 95.3 GPS with half fuel and 4 people. Weight does not seem to affect the speed very much.Will run about as fast loaded as it will empty.

magnuman 09-09-2003 02:28 PM

Donzi 38 ZR all the way!

BLee 09-09-2003 02:33 PM

I rudely forgot one major builder that is at the pinnacle of attention to detail. NOR~TECH. Sorry Terry!

ClockworkOrange 09-09-2003 02:47 PM

The ZR is was a really good design, At first I thought we were talking about the ZX line......no opinion!

BLee 09-09-2003 02:48 PM

Look on page 12-13 of the new Powerboat. Oct, Nov issue. What happened there?

BatGirl 09-09-2003 02:55 PM

I have driven both boats and would go with the ZR.
The Donzi handles and turns great and I thought it was more stable. It had t 575's, staggered. It is also better for passengers. I ridden in a Gladiator in rough in the back and was almost tossed out, there is nothing to hold on too or foot rest to brace with. Both are nice boats, but the Donzi has great lines and with the quarter canopies it makes for a nice quiet ride. I raced one in Miami and did not even have to pull face mask down on helment because of the canopies. The best thing to do is try both out and see which one!
BG XO

Just Browsing 09-09-2003 03:00 PM

I can tell you exactly what happened!

Originally posted by cigracer28/38
Look on page 12-13 of the new Powerboat. Oct, Nov issue. What happened there?
That was my fault. It had nothing to do with the boat.

Just Browsing 09-09-2003 03:03 PM

Re: hard choice

Originally posted by ClockworkOrange
There is one parked down the street from my house that has a cover on it . Trailer is from Texas, Havent seen the boat around before. Anyone know whos it is , I liked to check it out
Clockwork:

The Donzi you are seeing is mine. It is the Team Fisher F2-22 boat.

BLee 09-09-2003 03:14 PM

Originally posted by BatGirl
The best thing to do is try both out and see which one!
BG XO

Thats the only way.

Just Browsing: Were you ok?

Just Browsing 09-09-2003 03:22 PM

Originally posted by cigracer28/38
Just Browsing: Were you ok?
Minor bumps and bruises, and a severely damaged ego.

BLee 09-09-2003 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Just Browsing
Minor bumps and bruises, and a severely damaged ego.
LOL. Glad your ok. Looks pretty nasty.

Von Bongo 09-09-2003 03:27 PM

I made my pick on a thread a few weeks ago and got a few snide comments from the Cig camp about my choice, but it's just one persons opinion.

I was a little surprised when I looked at the Donzi over at Big Thunder, a little less freeboard then I was expecting, but for a sit down boat maybe you don't need any.

As for resale I think it is too early to tell on either one, both very specalized and I see some pretty hefty discounts on a cig recently. I think the OSO gladiator was for sale last year in the 160-170 range and that included getting a new interior as part of the deal.

If your going to buy one, the only way is to go for a ride, then you will know.

cuda 09-09-2003 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Magicfloat
Our 38ZR has seen 95.3 GPS with half fuel and 4 people. Weight does not seem to affect the speed very much.Will run about as fast loaded as it will empty.
What engines Robert?

Just Browsing 09-09-2003 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the pic in question: