Notices

Ilmor V-10 Marine Engine

Old 09-10-2003, 07:38 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ilmor V-10 Marine Engine

Saw the ad this month and the test in a cat a few months back in Powerboating. Anyone has exerience with these engines and any idea of price , reliability and all the normal questions...

Ilmor Marine Engine link

SPECIFICATIONS
Engine configuration: 90 degree V10
Capacity: 505 ci (8,300cc)
Power: 550 HP (410 Kw) @ 5,500 RPM
Torque: 600 ft lb (814 Nm) @ 4,500 RPM, also featuring over 500 ft lb’s (678 Nm) at all RPM over 2,500.
Full Throttle RPM Range: 5,300–5,700 RPM
Bore & Stroke: 4.030in (102.4 mm) / 3.960in (100.6 mm)
Compression Ratio: 9.6 to 1
Fuel Requirement: 92 posted octane premium gasoline
Cylinder Block & Cylinder Heads: Precision cast aluminum for light weight.
Crankshaft: Fully balanced forged 4340 steel precision machined.
Connecting Rods: Fully balanced steel precision machined.
Valve Gear: 2 Valves per cylinder push rod operated.
Camshaft: Hydraulic roller type camshaft for quieter operation and reduced maintenance caused by wear.
Weight: 800 lbs (363 Kg) dry, complete with CMI stainless steel headers and cooling system.
Water Cooling System: Thermostatically controlled closed-cooling system using Sen-Dure water / water intercooler.
Oil Cooling System: Thermostatically controlled closed-cooling system using Sen-Dure oil / water intercooler.
Fuel Injection: Multi Point Electronic fuel injection controlled by JTEC Engine Control Module for great engine running quality and performance.
Ignition System: JTEC Engine Control Module firing individual ignition coils per cylinder for greater spark energy with electronically controlled spark advance.
Alternator Amps: 160A (2.2 Kw)
Idle Control: Closed loop idle air control for rock steady 750 RPM idle and ease of handling in the marina.
Warranty: 1 year conditional warranty for recreational boating.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:40 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm extremely gunshy about new stuff just trying to get information brewing on the subject.

From Website

MAJOR FEATURES

Engine based on the incredible Dodge Viper Competition Coupe sports car engine.
Finely balanced V10 engine provides amazing smoothness of running. Much improved over typical V8 configurations.
Over 500 ft lb (678 Nm) of torque from 2,500 RPM - max 600 ft lb (814 Nm) at 4,500 RPM - makes driving a boat equipped with MV-10’s exceptionally easy.
Each engine dyno power tested to ensure optimum performance prior to shipping.
Low engine weight allows greater boat performance.
Electronic engine control actively maintains a 750 RPM idle by means of an idle air control valve and closed loop control. Just leave the throttles on the idle stop while the transmissions are jockeyed to maneuver the boat into the dock. Throughout the whole process the engines maintain a totally reliable 750 RPM no matter how the transmissions are used.
Unique engine sound, easily identifiable as being different than all of the V8’s on the water.
Supplied complete with Ilmor custom fabricated powder coated engine mounts to suit any boat hull configuration.
Fitted with highest quality marine components throughout including:

CMI polished stainless headers
Sen-Dure oil and water intercoolers
Custom fabricated powder coated engine mounting system
Huber 1200 transmission
K&N air filters
Ilmor manufactured custom wiring harnesses
Old 09-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100 hours between "MAJOR" overhauls for 35 grand USD each kinda sucks doesn't it?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It says "Unique engine sound, easily identifiable as being different than all of the V8’s on the water" All I can say is they are correct, BUT I think my Dodge V-10 sounds poor( put has good power). I just like the rumble of the good ole V-8
Old 09-10-2003, 10:50 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

for a 500hp engine, 100 hours between "major" rebiulds sucks the sweat of a dead man's balls.....
Old 09-10-2003, 11:00 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Where does it say 100hrs BMOH I must of missed that...

The other thing putting 550HP through a tranny isn't there Bravo's capable of handling that instead of loosing the HP through the tranny.

The Skater tested in Powerboating has #6's on it is it overkill for 600 # of torque and 550 HP?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:02 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i though hp500 and #6 was a fairly standard setup on skaters. Good and bulletproof.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:06 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob Morgan (Big Thunder Marine) would know better than anyone about the v10.
I do not think that the motor is dead after 100 hrs. I think that they did not word that right. It is still a stock block type engine normally aspirated. There is a lot left in it I bet. Someone needs to put one on kill.
I would like to hear them on y pipes.
If you look at the torque curve it is flat witch should make for good throttle response and driveability.
pat W
Old 09-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Registered

DeSantis ran Ilmor engines in his SuperCat last year ... that he's not running them again this year might tell you something.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

Ilmor must be having problems if they are turning to the marine sector....I'd say the US based group is looking for something to justify their existence in light of their declining role in racing here....

DeSantis commited to a significant budget and continually had engine problems last year. He made the switch to Sterling this year and has been running up top...if only the boat was a little more aero like WHM and Reliable...he might be running out front

Quick Reply: Ilmor V-10 Marine Engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.