Like Tree0Likes

Who's made the switch from V to cat?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless.......

loto... i would get at least a 30 or so...
get twins.. so you don't have to have nasty power to run on top. easily
Don
Old 09-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 8' row boat

My 26' does pretty well in LOTO. A little bigger would be nice at times, but definetly not a requirement. Whereas a V bottom will go through the snot, the cat just goes over it.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Steve_H

whats the deal with the 28 profile cat?
they seam cheap compared to others.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16

Although all of these boats are out of my reach at this time, I did do a little research on the Profile products. As a group they offer a great value for the $. The 28 looks like a hell of a deal at Randy's factory direct prices. I've never seen the boat in person and I'm not sure how deep the tunnel is, but it looks to offer a lot of bang for the buck. He'll option it any way you want it. From what Randy said, he'll be coming out with a 35' or 36' cat very soon. I'm sure this will also be a real bargain. I don't think either boat is a Skater, but look at the $$$.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:01 AM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

I have been thinking of switching to a cat also. I went out in a 30 Eliminator w/ procharged 500efi's, aside from mind blowing speed. It rode great, in a streach with some chop we were doing over 100mph and it was smooth, I mean real smooth. I won't be upgrading for at least a couple of years but I am already looking at the 30-36 foot range cats. My only real complaint is not all makes offer a cabin a must for me, got to have a love cabin also I love standing when I drive, and most cats are sit only

WILL
Old 09-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Roy

Check out the 30' HTM. Stand up bolsters and a pretty big cabin. TV, sink, stove, big sitting area.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered

Cats are where it's at !
I love the big V's but no one can argue the advantage of a GOOD cat . I had a 40' Formula and went to a 39' express cat . It's not a skater but it's a lot better then a V ! The ride and speed can not be matched by a V of equal power . I would say the place to START looking would be a 28 Skater . Any other brand ,at LEAST 30' . And like anything else ,the big the better .

There are tons of good people at the Jersey shore with nice cats . All you have to do is ask for a ride and you will get plenty of help . (MIne is apart till spring sorry) .

Cats are a VERY strange thing to drive after a V. They feel so loose ,that you think you have no control . It's not that bad ,it's just different then what you know now . DO NOT buy one without driveing a couple and realy thinking about which one you want . SOme have little or NO cabin . Others have plenty of room . Also most cats are sit down boats with low freeboard . MIne is real high sides and you can actualy stand and walk around at 70 mph or more . (Not the driver ,of course )

IF you still need a ride by spring , let me know . I'll take you out . Joe
Old 09-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 25 Ocean Express

Went from a 25' V to an Ocean Express 26' with twin 250 outboards........... It is a whole different world, way better on fuel, ride, speed. It just takes some seat time to get used to 'em. I really love that thing !!!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Registered

pure Engery,

You have asked a great Question. My decideding factor on buying a cat was money. I wanted a boat that would run 90mph all day. I looked at many v's but you can not get a good V for under 65,000 that would run 90. If you are wanting a good cat buy a 24 or 28 Skater. Wait till the new 30 Skater comes out maybe the prices will drop on the 28's.
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Who's made the switch from V to cat?-cimg0011.jpg  
Old 09-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1985 Chris Craft- Chris Cat

I used to be a tried and true V hull man myself. I loved driving in rough water in a stand up bolster and the cabin room.

I never really liked the smaller low profile cats. A cat in general just never seemed like a real boat to me. That was untill I made the switch from V to cat about a year and a half ago. I dont think I have rode in a v hull since and I dont really care to....

I wanted the docking ability of twins, a decent size cabin and one big enough that I did'nt have to hear the wife scream about the lumps and bumps anymore.

I now have a 1985 30' Chris Cat with enough power to run over the century mark and I absoutely LOVE it!! The best of all, is that I dont hear the wife #[email protected] anymore.

Once you own a cat, you cant go back.

So, get into a cat, sit down, lean back and enjoy the ride.... You will never regret it.