What's up with backing into slips?? >

What's up with backing into slips??

Notices

What's up with backing into slips??

Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Offshoreracr
Back it in. Easier loading and unloading. Everbody needs to be able to handle their boat that well.
Hardly anybody backs in around here... So it's a COOL thing
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wellby
Hardly anybody backs in around here... So it's a COOL thing
That is right.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We always back in so that we can follow what's happening on the docks around us. Makes for a much more fun and social experience. It also makes for much easier entry. Many boats over here in europe, including our cruiser, has as mentioned, a Passerelle on the back, much easier boarding, and the docks are not very long. In the performance boats, it's also pretty cool when fireing up In our marina we think you're an asocial and weird sociopath if you go in bow first Gotta love local un-written rules

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 01-26-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
In our marina we think you're an asocial and weird sociopath if you go in bow first Gotta love local un-written rules
I park on the tee head, the slip hangers can't figure out if I'm comin or going

I like old threads. Only a handful of original posters to this thread are still around. What ever happened to Lutzparty and Miss Amy?

Last edited by blue thunder; 01-26-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

How else are you going to show off your chrome plated headers ?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Nobody on my boat would have any hair left
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

+1 Gerry....

Usually the finger piers don't stick out long enough to get off the boat straight in, and if you have any nautical sense you always back in.....

Only people I've seen pull straight in are those who usually are unable to handle their boats, or they're small enough to get away with it...

Also, would you want all your heavy artillery out in the open for some bone head to whack it and go, oh I'm sorry....

Last edited by WildThing47; 01-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by madhatter42
+1 Gerry....

Usually the finger piers don't stick out long enough to get off the boat straight in, and if you have any nautical sense you always back in.....

Only people I've seen pull straight in are those who usually are unable to handle their boats, or they're small enough to get away with it...

Also, would you want all your heavy artillery out in the open for some bone head to whack it and go, oh I'm sorry....
+100. If you have a larger boat, most of the slips are not long enough to be able to get off the boat from the bow as mentioned previously. Plus its much easier boarding from the swimplatform or sun pad.

Most of the slips at the dock bars or waterside restaurants I have been to, atleast 5 to 10 feet of my boat is past the piles into the open water, depending on the place.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

More control backing in as well. Having your pivot point closer to the dock makes it easier....
Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

On our boat, it is sooooo much safer to step off of the swim platform onto the dock, rather than to try to climb out over the bow, especially if the lake is rough. In fact, in the case of my folks, I don't think that they could even get out over the bow, let alone climb back in if we pulled in bow first. Unfortunately my 32 has a single, so it is a bit of a handfull, but with twins, anybody should be able to back in fairly easily. It really has nothing to do with being cool.

Quick Reply: What's up with backing into slips??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.