Question for concrete workers >

Question for concrete workers

Notices

Question for concrete workers

Old 09-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Cuda.. I may be dreaming, but I dont want to spend money that doesnt give good benefits.. I will be heating this area, but not all the time. I know it is hard to get that slab warm in the winter around here!!

Thanks

Dick
Old 09-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that do it yourself epoxy stuff really work that well? At a shop I used to work at, we spent big bucks to have the floor done with something like that. It was like a glue with blue sand mixed in. Went about 2 ft. up the walls too.
I really want it in my garage, but if I can do it myself, I'm all for it. I was thinking about giving this stuff a try -
http://www.musclegloss.com
Old 09-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Musclegloss looks like the same thing my guy used at his house. I know his tight ass didn't spend that much on it though. I'll talk to him later today and find out where he got it, though I'm almost sure it was Lowes.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Banned

I am a distributor for a trowled on epoxy floor. It isn't rolled on, it is about three sixteenths thick, and very tough. The only drawback it,it cannot be used outside, the ultraviolet rays will make it amber. It doesn't hurt it, just turns it brownish.

Here is a locker room we did with the epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails Question for concrete workers-dcp02750.jpg  
Old 09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Registered

There are problems with both wire mesh and fiber mesh. Many crews buy the fiber mesh in bulk to get a better price. The problem is that then the mesh is put in the truck at the job site and does not have sufficient time to get throughly mixed up. What happens then is that you get chuncks of fiber mess and it is not even spread. This results in weak concrete. With wire mess, it is very difficult to pour a slab of concrete without walking on the wire mess. Walking on the mess forces it to the bottom of the pour. As a result, it is useless. A good crew will have hooks and keep pulling up on the mess as the walk. Properly place rebar also works well. I will say this, properly poured condrete with fiber mesh is a sob to tear out. The stuff will not break. That is why I received a college degree. I couldn't do that the rest of my life.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:21 PM
DJD
Registered

I design & build LARGE custom homes & let me tell you, fibermesh doesn't do crappola. You need minimum 3000+ lb concrete with wire mesh & expansion joints through all 6" of slab, not just a 2" cut with a demo saw.
In very warm & dry conditions when pouring concrete, mist sprinklers slow the cure time of concrete (wich normally cures in 28 days) after set time. Keeping it wet after initial set will lesten the shrinkage (concrete that is) and avoid shrink cracks.
I don't know if this helps, just a small tad of my useless information..........