Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BustedGun Give us a Update (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59054-bustedgun-give-us-update.html)

Scott 09-12-2003 08:02 AM

BustedGun Give us a Update

Dan,
Thumbs up or down?

LEOPAJM 09-12-2003 08:14 AM

HHmmmmmmmmm ??????

BUSTEDGUN 09-12-2003 08:38 AM

Ebert and Roeper give it 2 thumbs WAY down!!!!!!!!

Boating sucks i'm gonna buy a dirt bike!

The engine gods say I should have it by middle to late next week. HMMMMMMMM??????? We'll see!

LEOPAJM 09-12-2003 08:48 AM

What .... did you order a Dragon ??????

Madcow 09-12-2003 10:07 AM

Originally posted by BUSTEDGUN

Boating sucks i'm gonna buy a dirt bike!
!

Wow! You must REALLY be depressed!:eek:

BUSTEDGUN 09-12-2003 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm getting sick of being a boat slut!!!

This is me next to my new baby!(new 2 months ago)

Too bad is doesn't fricking RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUSTEDGUN 09-12-2003 11:06 AM

I am really glad I researched what my next boat should be for about a year.

Then found a good freshwater boat to purchase.

Spent the long dollar on a late model boat with 500's, so it would be reliable.

Set up a driver to deliver my old boat and have my new boat back for the 4th of july.

All of this so that THE FRICKIN VALVETRAIN COULD COME APART ON BOTH MOTORS WITHIN THE FIRST 20 MINUTES OF RUNNING IT, AND I CAN MAKE MY PAYMENTS ON A BOAT I HAVENT SEEN IN 2 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!! Whew

I feel much better!

Sydwayz 09-12-2003 11:12 AM

That's a tough pill to swallow. I would be upset too. Are they carb 500s? What were the hours? What were the latest updates to the VT on both motors when you bought? How did the sea-trial go?

OldSchool 09-12-2003 11:22 AM

Sounds like a few other OSO member stories. You didn't buy it from National Marine, did you?:eek: :eek:

BUSTEDGUN 09-12-2003 11:36 AM

Carbed 500's

88 hours

did not sea trial. oops

Bought from Craig Barrie @Martin Marine

They did step up and they are paying 80% of the rebuilt bill.

It just sucks being down this long.

Dan

THEJOKER 09-12-2003 11:48 AM

That really sucks! 500 Merc Carbs are usually dependable. The valve springs are the weak area on them. Actually there should of been a recall on the original springs. I found this out from racing a carb motor back in 1999. BH

Sydwayz 09-12-2003 11:48 AM

88 HOURS!!!!!! and the VT let go???? Must have been 88 hours on the rev limiters and original oil. Is there any computer to check actual engine hours on a 500Carb like a 500EFI??

BUSTEDGUN 09-12-2003 12:01 PM

NO computer.

Your right Brian my last ride had twin 500's and the valve springs started letting go at 200 hours.

The problem with the boat is it sat for a year+ without running. I had planed to do the valvetrain this winter. But now we are doing complete rebuilds and going with a stronger valvetrain.

Dan

ccarloss 09-12-2003 12:07 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully it will all work out and you'll have fresh engines for next year.

OldSchool 09-12-2003 12:32 PM

Originally posted by BUSTEDGUN

Carbed 500's

88 hours

did not sea trial. oops

Bought from Craig Barrie @Martin Marine

They did step up and they are paying 80% of the rebuilt bill.

It just sucks being down this long.

Dan

CB is a class act. That's really big of him to step up. The word gets around when people do the right thing!! :)

LEOPAJM 09-12-2003 12:33 PM

Sea trial .... we don't need no schtinking sea trial !?!?!?

:D

Scott 09-12-2003 08:32 PM

Wow I just got back on from my original post. I wanted to hear that you were up and running for this weekends poker run:( But I am not too surprised, a lot of work for one week!

Thank goodness you have a lot of friends that have helped out over the summer!

So every one out there feeling terrible for bustedgun remember he has been a boat slut on a 42 Tiger and Wicked Wons 41 Saber:eek:

I know it still isn't the same but it could be worse. I hope to make it to Saturday nights festivities see you there!

Scott

Roger 1 09-12-2003 10:59 PM

Sorry to hear about the boat but hats off to Craig and Martin Marine for picking up the 80%. I would be more than happy with that.

RHC 09-13-2003 07:28 AM

Busted Guns Withdrawel Symtoms

Dan,,, come on out to Fairport,,, I have a CD of my 600s at full song,,, we can put it in your CD player and I will tow u down Lake Shore Blvd. at 75mph,,, if we do it late in the day ,, you might even get some Dew in your face,,,, with two road pops and your eyes closed, you might think its the real thing ,,,, Schucks ,,, if I give Capt. Oblivious $20 he will ride along and tell U how sweet the ride is .... :D :D ,, Hey just trying to make the day go faster ,,,, Hope to see it running this week ---- maybe!!!! Hope, Hope, Hope.

RHC

If you take it to Alum Creek,, I know a guy in Col. who will be your Boat Bitceeauch,,, he owes u some line time rite !!!!;) ;) :p

vagrant 09-13-2003 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bustedgun,

I know what you are going through just be glad that Martin is taking the brunt of the hit. I bought a Sonic with carb 500's in Dec took delivery in Jan . I had the boat surveyed, motors were found with exhaust problems but did not compression check them. To make a long story short I took the boat to my mech for valve springs because the were suspect because of the hours
I ended up rebuilding boat motors because of internal problems that were found. I did not see my boat for 6 months, never even drove it. Now after thousands of dollars later I am riding . Finally happy and living my dream untill something else breaks:D Good Luck and take your time don't skimp and you should be pleased also.

David

GLH 09-13-2003 07:50 AM

Sorry to ear of your experience BG once it'll be done all you need is about 5 Minutes at WOT and you'll feel MUCH better.

Originally posted by vagrant
Finally happy and living my dream untill something else breaks:D
That's performance boating as everyone here knows I think. Even if it's under warranty you can never get time back. Tic, Tic, Tic, Tic...

BUSTEDGUN 09-15-2003 10:48 AM

Well guys I think I'm jinxed!!!

I rode with a friend on the fall poker run this saturday and about 10 minutes into the run and the starboard drive let loose.

All was not lost, he had a spare drive about 20 miles away. So we idled into the nearest marina with a travel hoist and called his friend to bring up the outdrive. We had the drive off just as his friend arrived, then we put on the rebuilt and away we went. Down for about 1 1/2 hours total. We even made it to Detroit Yacht Club in time for lunch!

The boat ran great the rest of the day.

And yes Scott it was another one of those crappy days boat slutin, this time on a 95 Top Gun with 600's

Dan

Scott 09-15-2003 11:03 AM

"And yes Scott it was another one of those crappy days boat slutin, this time on a 95 Top Gun with 600's"

Bastard :D

When Mary is on Standby the whole family pays:rolleyes:

Yesterday when I was hanging ceiling fans in her moms rental property on River Road I had to listen to Bigblocks roaring by all day. IT WAS KILLING ME!

THRILLSEEKER 09-15-2003 11:06 AM

Man! sounds like you have been boat whoring in style:cool:

BUSTEDGUN 09-15-2003 11:15 AM

Boat Whoring in style!!

Well Thrill everyone has a talent!

Scott we were thinking of you! While I was drinking in the Sunshine on one of the nicest weekends of the year!!!! hehehehehehehe!

BUSTEDGUN 09-15-2003 11:17 AM

of course Scott that happened on someone else's boat while we were idling 3 mile to the nearest marina, but so what at least I was boating

Dan

Scott 09-15-2003 12:09 PM

Keep it up I have Pictures:eek:

Madcow 09-15-2003 05:59 PM

So how many boats? How was it? You obviously had great weather! My nephew got married Sat. or I defiantly would have been there.

LEOPAJM 09-16-2003 08:14 AM

Yeah ..... lets hear the gorry details !!!!

JM

BUSTEDGUN 09-16-2003 09:03 AM

We had 25 boats, great weather, and an all around great time. Lunch was at the "Prestigious Detroit Yacht Club" which was nice and they were probably happy to see us go!

Home Base was Ford Yacht Club whish is always very nice to us and we 2 nights of great partying.

Boat is still down, no motors yet and I'm getting pretty pis#ed off now!!! I was told we could probably have the boat done by the end of August. I told them that I HAD to have the boat by Sept 13 (fall poker run) and that didn't happen! It probably didn't help that the money was not received from the broker until the end of august. (the deal was made july 20th)

Them Florida guys just don't understand that we have a limited season up here!

LEOPAJM 09-16-2003 09:25 AM

Sounds like you guys had a great time .... we'll be there next year !!!!!!

We had a good one here as well .

Stevo (SHAGNASTY) and Anita put on a run that started friday nite with a car show and party at Sharky's in Fairport Harbor. Saturday was a "mystery" poker run with a bloody mary breakfast at the Zoo. Started with 20 boats. Then the "CARNAGE" started.

36 Comanche ... Drive
35 Cigarette ... Engine Failure ????
38 Cigarette ... Drive
People in small boat ... Got soaked and beat-up !!!

Had a great day in spite of ourselves !!! Stops were Fairport , Geneva , Ashtabula , Grand River (Pickle Bills)

And ........ Anita and I won the Cash !!!!!!!!

JM

BTW ,.... the BEST part of all .... it kicked up for the run back from 'bula and ... well you know the rest !!!

BUSTEDGUN 09-17-2003 06:57 AM

Who's 38 Cigarette? Franks?

Well I'm glad you all had fun.

Still no word on my boat, Hopefully I'll hear from Andy today.

I think I have offically named the boat "BustedGun"

Dan

LEOPAJM 09-17-2003 07:00 AM

How'd you guess ?

Scott 09-17-2003 09:49 AM

Dan,
Sorry to hear this, who's drive did you break or um I mean who's drive broke on the fall run.:p

BUSTEDGUN 09-17-2003 09:55 AM

LJ,

I'm a genius that's how I know.

Scott,

It was Todd Doederlein's boat, Can I ride with you this weekend?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dan

RHC 09-18-2003 09:54 AM

Broken Drive

Dan,, I have a spare drive for 2500 if they need one ,,, small shaft ,, I cant use it with the Apache

RHC

LEOPAJM 09-18-2003 11:07 AM

Hey Rog... hows the noggin ???

BTW .... does your phone # start with BR-549 ?????

RHC 09-18-2003 04:15 PM

BR 549

That will work this week!! Getten better am going to try and go out tomorrow ,,,, its payday;) ;)

RHC

RHC 09-22-2003 08:44 AM

Rumors Fly,,,,

I was over by Broken Thunder Row on Sat and the rumors are flying ,,, could it be ,,, just maybe Dan ,, that you can make the bay trip on Sat,, sure would be great ,,, hope , hope ,,

How about it LJ,, trailor to Sand or Huron and run from there!!! Sat am,, gotta go ----------

RHC

LEOPAJM 09-22-2003 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
AHHHHHH ..... correction RC ...... SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY !!!!!!!!!