Notices

Ot...BMW X5??

Old 09-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The Infinity FX45 is BADASS. We checked them out. 315HP with a nice Detroit sounding growl out of dual exhaust. At $52K though, we will be waiting for hurricane Isabel to plop one in our front yard.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 7 series has all the bugs worked out now. I work at a BMW dealer. The first year cars were a nightmare. They actually didn't buy that many back, although BMW did spend alot to keep customers happy. If you have never driven the new 7 series , you owe it to yourself to do so. It is an awesome car. Also the new 5 series will be out soon, and it has an even better suspension/steering system than the 7 and is incredible to drive.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a 2001 x5 3.0 and used it to tow my 21 foot hustler which is about 3500 lbs on 4 hour+ drives from NJ to lake george, no problems with towing, the early model such as that had some electrical problems. I have recently purchased at 2003 X5 4.4, no problems towing what so ever, love it with the boat behind and drives like a dream. They are rated at 7000lb towing capacity. I would definitely go with the x5, they have worked out the kinks and now it is a superior auto.

justin
Old 09-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Registered

Two friends own BMW dealerships and have said that the 7 series continues to have problems and that they have lost a lot of money taking back cars from the first batch last year. I'd be happy if they are now reporting fewer problems. Still, that i-drive system is not nearly as intuitive as the system in the new Audi A8 4.2L. For my money, with the reliability, full-time 4 wheel drive and all the new features available, I'd buy the 2004 Audi A8 over the BMW 7 series. I'd also look real hard at the Infiniti FX instead of the BMW X5. But, that's just my view of the world.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Registered

WOW...thats alot of input...I appreciate it guys...

Hustler...I had no idea the x5 was rated to tow that much behind it...maby I would try to tow the boat and the ski...well I'll be doing alot of test driving over the next month or so....thanx again...
Old 09-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Registered

Guys, don't disregard the VW Touareg, the V8 is a nice
SUV, it is built on the same platform as the Porsche
Cayenne, and actually the body lines on the VW are
better looking than the Porsche.

However, the X5 is still a nice midsize SUV, and I would
agree with the other comments, buy a late model 01-03
since the later cars always have the gremlins worked
out of them
Old 09-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the VW and the porsche are brand new cars and neither have been on the market for the true problems to surface, and im sure they havent had enough feedback on problems resulting from towing...i would stay away from new cars in their first year of prduction...or else you are someone else's guinea pig and now thats no fun
Old 09-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Registered

I agree with your last comment 21Hustler... In fact, the only things I've heard so far about the Cayenne is that there are a lot of sqeeks and rattles. It's far too early to make a call on the VW or Porsche because they have not been out long enough and they are completely new platforms. It is almost never recommended to buy a first year car no matter how much you love it. There are simply too many things to go wrong. My $.02.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had 3 , 2 2000's and a 2001 after I made them take one of the 2000's back. Lots and lots of time spent at the dealer.... both have about 35000 on them now and seem to have all the bugs worked out. I would change out to something else but I do believe they still have the highest safety rating among SUVs and my family is certainly worth it. But to answer the question ,I haven't towed with either, use my work trucks for that.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping to get my X5 soon. I have been looking at the market for a mid size SUV and I still can't find better.
I have a Beemer already and a Porsche and a Dodge. I take the Beemer to get my trans adjusted and that takes a day but I get loaner. I took the Porsche to get the convertible liner fixed and that was 5 months ago... they still can't fix it! didn't get a loaner! My Dodge well it's a Dogde. For me it's about technology and service. I'm a girl that doesn't like to be pushed around and BMW has always taken care of me. Benz doesn't come close to engine technology in my opinion. And the Benz SUV just doesn't look right.

Quick Reply: Ot...BMW X5??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.