Notices

OT: home theater speakers

Old 09-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

mcollinstn,
I hear you also, about the size issue with La Scalas! My wife has mentioned that it would sure be nice is we didn't have a washer and dryer sitting in our living room!! Good luck in your search for speakers.
MD
Old 09-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh brother...... One thing that is SO overlooked hear is that all your product works as a package. You can make a B&W speaker sound like crap if you put a Jap Crap processor behind it or run Silver cables. You have to DESIGN your ENTIRE system to work TOGETHER. This does not mean that you have to buy it all at once but decide what you want and then buy the projuct that is in your design. I could NEVER recommend a speaker over the internet as there is one question that no one has asked that being WHAT DOES YOUR ROOM LOOK LIKE. What size is it, where is the TV located (corner, middle of the wall). Are the speakers in room, on shelf, or in wall? What is the size of the room and were are doors located........ You get the point. There are a lot of BAD speakers out there. Some of the best are the B&W's, Dynaudio, Wilson Audio, Triad, and so on. But they all must be used properly to get them to sound good.

Also don't be so concerned about your projector not shooting HDTV. You can still run HD to it (480P) and if it is properly set up you will be REAL happy with the picture.

My suggestion is if you do not have the time to sit down and do this correct now save the money and waite tell you do. You will get a much better finished product that you will enjoy for quite some time.

Hey Troutly you ready for the EAD Yet

Jon
Old 09-17-2003, 02:51 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry Def Tech and can & will hook you up.

What model(s) did you want??

It may be a day or so before I can respond due to the Hurricane moving in. I'll be out of the office in about 1 hour.

Audiofn is 300% right about doing it right. But if you have done your homework, I have def/tech speakers (also B&W, Klipsch, Soliloquy)
What processor?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-17-2003, 02:52 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Originally posted by CIGAR
How do you guys (pros) feel about miller and kreisel speakers? Looking into the thx models.
They are fair to ok.

I personally wouldn't own them.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-17-2003, 03:36 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm very happy w/ my promonitor 100s(front), C2 center, BP 102x surrounds and prosub 100. It was hard to get a good deal, but I shopped around and did some beating up. But the only problem is my room set up sucks.

Bill, I'll keep you in mind when upgrading to floor standing fronts for advice...

Rob
Old 09-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm very happy with my B&W 801's that I use as fronts in my smaller system, with the HTM 1 as center, and 805's as rears...Transparent cable all around...hooked up to Aragon 8008X3's and a Soundstage....makes Elmo sound like a man....!!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

BillR,

Cool.
I guess a ballpark of what kind of discounts are available would help me decide which model I am after.

I've heard the BP2000 and CLW2000 along with whichever surrounds were commonly matched to them a few years back. Those were in a similar room to mine, with the exception that I plan to upholster the flat part of my ceiling whereas the other room was drywall.

There are some BP2000's and a CLW2500 on ebay right now, and I had honestly prefer to wait and buy my speakers in a couple of months. I had also rather move up a notch to the newer BP2000TL's with their bigger amps, or even larger (into the 7xxx series). I just have nobody around here that wants to discuss discounts on DT's. I do plan to go ALL DT all the way around.

Processor? Jap Crap for now. Pioneer 110x5 Dolby Digital. I also have an 80x5 HK that's a few years old and a Pioneer Elite 100x5 that's a bit newer.

If you can email me some pricing info on some complete surround speaker setups starting with the BP2000 size as the low end and moving up to the BP7xxx's. That will give me the ammo I need for making my decision. Then I'll give you plenty of advance notice which ones I need.
(will be buying by Christmas for sure - unless you advise me that there is some big price break for waiting later like demo units, etc..).

I'm aware that there are probably 20 mfrs that make surround speakers that would tickle me pink. I've just decided I'll be a Def Tech man this time around.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya I know. If my choices were new boat or the new pre. and amp you made the correct one

Jon
Old 09-18-2003, 12:20 AM
CIGAR

BILL R

Would you choose kilpsch over m&k

Old 09-18-2003, 11:40 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Surfing from home durning the hurricane. So no pricing yet.

BP2000's are great speakers, BUT have you heard the BP2002's?? They are a notch down, but they (IMHO) sound 3 times as good and is D.T.'s best seller.

Cigar- tough one there, but basically - yes! The new Klipsch speakers are built no where near as nice as the old stuff that they made their reputation on.

B&W's are really nice.

I have Soliloqy 6.5's(f) and 5.3's (r), just sold my Krell for Arcam P7 & AV8. The Arcam is the best I've heard to date. Second best is the EAD.

Jon- have you listened to the Arcam yet??? if not, you need to!!! There will be some seriously good press coming too.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Quick Reply: OT: home theater speakers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.