Offshore - the good old days

Old 09-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ron P
BINGO!!!!!!!

Pat, you win the booby prize.

Maybe that's why things work so well at OPA. No body is making a penny off putting on races.

Then open the books, Lets see them .

MIke
Old 09-18-2003, 06:34 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very interesting post. I like Pat w's comment best. However, sanctioning bodies have to make money to survive. But I personally believe they should be run like a not for profit corporation where the profits are reinvested into the sport for better promotions. The more you promote your sport, the more fans you attract. The more fans you attract, the more sponsors you get. The more sponsors you get, the more money you take in for promoting the sport. A very positive cycle for everyone, especially the racers.

Last edited by KiloKat; 09-18-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by diamonddaveF170
Ron,

Maybe next year the Jersey Boyz can do a 1 time race like the old days when the course was REALLY offshore and the outside leg of the race was 10 or 20 miles long miles long.

Okay, next year the race is TO Maryland, not in Maryland

Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Registered

If apba offshore chooses it be a for profit business they are allowed. You do not work for no money. On the other hand.. just like any business if you don't like their product you can go down the street and find another. A business need to stay competitive to survive.
And yea I liked the good old days myself
Old 09-18-2003, 07:45 PM
GeoGraphics INC

John Carbonell had nothing to do with Offshore Professional Tour at first, It had everything to do with a guy called Mickey Markoff who approached APBA with a sponsor who wanted to give 1 million dollars in prize money to offshore racing, APBA turned him down, so at the Atlantic City race in hmm 87' or 88' it was brought to the attention of the racers in a very emotional meeting, from that was born the HFC Pro Series where racers had the opportunity to race in conjunction with APBA and win 3 times the prize money APBA was giving. The whole deal fell apart when APBA gave equal billing to a Japanese company called Kazi Kara and change the venue of the worlds from Long Beach (home of HFC ) back to Key West. OPT came from the racers ie: Al Copeland Tom Gentry Ike Batista and a few other big money guy's wanting to control their own destiny and bring in big money series sponsors, My My does'nt that sound Familiar

Old 09-18-2003, 07:56 PM
VIP Member

Default RON WAS THAT A CHALLENGE?

Messing with the wrong Boyz. My only question is how far offshore? Keep in mind even my wife navigates 100 miles offshore by herself.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Registered

Mickey Markoff has been producing the Fort Lauderdale Air & Water show for the last 10, maybe more, years.
Offshore racing hit it's peak at he World's in KW in 1993 or was it "94?
APBA/SBR/USORA.... all together for once, I'll never forget the sight of 140+ race boats on wednesday.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:40 PM
aadesign

neither will I. I set up that race coarse for Bubba that year. worked with him for 14 years, then moved to NM had a heart attack & now I get to read all the baloney going on in the sport. Lee Mills tucked it to SBI a couple years ago so it was just a matter of time before Mike A. was next. and it's just plain old greed. SBI has the sites LLC the following, 1+1=good racing.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Geo, was that the deal that Al Copeland killed? I believe it was Coke that wanted to be the big sponsor and his fried chicken joints sold Pepsi.

I heard about that deal going sour.

The HFC deal was awesome and lasted for about a year. Was that a US Offshore deal or APBA?

Then the big money guys hired John to run OPT for them, correct? A few short years later when the money left, John was left holding the bag and formed SBR (Superboat Racing) to try and continue producing offshore racing.

Meanwhile, a group of disatisfied racers and race producers from (dare I say) New Jersey formed US Offshore and pulled the northeast racers away from APBA. Bill Gifford was a great leader and built the ranks until a nasty divorce took the wind out of his sails and US Offshore crumbled.

OPA has now stepped in (with the Jersey Boyz) to bring racing back to the Northeast. Of the three, OPA is the only one that has no dreams of grandure and has no one on a payroll. It's grass roots racing for the fun of it.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:10 PM
diamonddaveF170

That must be why we all have fun!

Quick Reply: Offshore - the good old days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.