Storm aftermath - Maryland >

Storm aftermath - Maryland

Notices

Storm aftermath - Maryland

Old 09-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storm aftermath - Maryland

Just sitting here without power (laptop is on battery) watching the boats float above above their lifts. The water so far is about 4 feet above my dock, about 6-7 ft above normal high tide. The docks went awash and the sailboat floated off it's lift last night at 11pm. At 12:30 (near forcast high tide) I thought it had stopped rising as it held constant till 1:30 at about 18" above the dock and 6" short of floating the Formula off of it's lift. No such luck, by 3am the water was mid-way up the lift motors and the Formula got to spend one of it's very few nights in the water. By 6am the lift motors were completely underwater. We were supposed to have a low tide at 9am, but with the South winds the water has just been held there. Hope it doesn't go up too much more at the next high tide at 1pm.

One neighbors boat is sunk (his kid's, been a bad year as they just got a new drive installed after changing the oil and fillin it from the top which blew up the last one). Another neighbors trawler floated high enough that his slider tracks just lifted off the top of their rails. A couple of us saw it start to drift and woke them. It is now anchored down the creek in a cove.

I've been here 6 years and never had the dock awash before. Neighbor across the street said it hasn't been this high in the 20 years he has been here either.

Good news is the boats still float, we were smart enough to put lines on them even on the lifts the day before, and the wind is now down to a modest south breeze so they aren't seeing any pounding. Once the water starts down we'll babysit them to help guid them back into place, then have to begin drying out all the dock electrics before trying to power anything up. I expect I'll get to replace the lift motors as they probably won't be too happy being under water for a day.

Wife has the digital camera with her in Florida, if any of the 35mm shots come out I'll post some in a week or so.

Later - Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My mother in law is on Spa Creek in Annapolis

Her yard is deep underwater and her finished basement is ruined. this after just redoing everything after a burst pipe from the last brutal winter. She says she has never seen water this high in the 8 years she has been there, but feels lucky that she didn't get hit with the full storm.

best of luck to everybody who was involved with this.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

GregP,
I removed my boat from Art Lilly's marina on Wednesday luckily. I just came back from there and all of the piers and lifts are under water. Art said they had been up all night retrieving boats. Give me a yell if you need any help, I don't have any tree or house damage thank god.

Steve

410-987-7408
Old 09-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Registered

Viper31 -

Thanks for the offer, but things look like they are pretty much under control. The water has dropped about 18" so far, and the stern is just about to settle back into the lift cradle. I did get a little knawing on the side from the one winch drum, so guess Art will get to touch up his paint job this fall.

-Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Registered

Hey Greg!

Glad to hear that you guys are ok, we were worried.

Roger
Old 09-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went to Pleasure Cove Marina in Pasadena, MD. All the docks are under water and the boats on lifts were floating. I'll post some pictures when I get them.

Talked to our marina on the Potomac River near the 301 bridge. All the docks submerged some of the camper trailers flooded but our boat is ok. It is sitting in the middle of a field on its trailer.

A friend of ours has a boat in James Creek in DC. His brother stayed with the boat last night now he can't get off due to the high water. The boat is floating level with the parking lot which is under 2ft of water.

I'm sure the stories and pictures will be amazing
Old 09-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Registered

Our boats are back on their lifts now as the water is receeding, it's now back to the level of 10pm last night. All in all very minor comared to the problems many had. We are very lucky that our house is 20+ feet above the river. Many others in the area with lower houses were not as lucky. I wish all the others still batling the water the best of luck.

Now if only we had power back ...

-Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Registered

Greg- Make sure you have the circuits to the boat dock turned off. Salt water & electrical do not go together good. I would at min. take the lift motor & wash it out with fresh water, this might make the motor last for a little before you have to replace it. The electrical plugs & switches need to be replaced.

Glad you came out all right otherwise.

Your story reminds me of back in 1982 Lake Austin was hit with a flash flood in the middle of the night. This is a constant level lake. The water rose so high that boats in the boat house lifted the house & boat/house started floating down the river. We spent many hrs around 2AM collecting boats & house from going further down river. That was a night to remember.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Registered

Turbojack - All the breakers to the dock were shut down well before the storms started. Luckily the water is essentially "fresh", so I'm hoping a good drying and flushing with electric contact cleaner will rescue most of it.

Roger - Can you also call Jerry and tell him we are fine too. Thanks.

I'm getting down to the last of the laptop battery and they are saying maybe Sunday for power restoration, so I may drop off the face of the earth for a while

-Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Registered

Greg;
I just talked to Jerry and gave him the message. He says to tell you Hi and that He is glad You are all OK.

Roger

Quick Reply: Storm aftermath - Maryland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.